Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Moving to Doha in September...

Moving to Doha in September...

Old Aug 2nd 2010, 12:01 pm
Account Closed

ccmail321 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Doha in September...

I TRIED TO USE SEARCH

First of all, sorry for the repost, I have a MA in Ed Tech but I tell you I am absolute rubbish at message boards - it's ADHD I'm sure!

Ok so hubby and I are moving to Doha in September - I need some reassurance here...He accepted (omg don't freak out)

4k USD per month, (it sounds really low now)

plus 4 bdr apartment on Diplomatic street/Exhibition Roundabout (it says Mergab towers on google earth but I'm told its not really called that). Nice pool - no swim up bar ;-( didn't know about those til today

Furnished hard goods/white goods/internet/utilities

return flights annually

300usd each person for moving expenses - dont need to tell me thats a joke

4K usd per year bonus when leaving

Job is in IT (He has a BS and about 10 years exp) and comes with a fancy title that will be used to catapult career later down the road.

We are doing this to further (his) career, save money, and so I can stay home (in Qatar) and have a baby. I am a technology teacher with BS and MA and could probably go back to teaching if needed.

We plan to live modestly - no fancy expat life - have 1 car - enjoy life and friends (we know 3 couples in same situation that have already recently gone and they seem to like it)

We recently moved from the USA to the UK where things are not exactly booming, wages are low, jobs are scarce and house prices are high.

Please tell me we are not crazy! Everyone else on these boards seems to be getting so much more money. We tried to negotiate 5K pcm but they wouldn't go over 4K. It is the same money my hubby is making in the UK but everything is so expensive in the UK and I am earning less and we are not saving anything, a mortgage is just about impossible. Hubby's company (huge company) just announced outsourcing in 6-12months!
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 11:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Doha in September...

Hi ccmail,

Ok i am in Dubai but prices aren't much different between here and Doha although I'm not sure about housing prices although byteh sounds of it yoru apartment is povided - are bills etc paid for? To me this sounds very low for an offer.

Just to give you an idea, I get 20K a month so about 5.5k US$ per month, my bonuss are split, I get ramadam bonus which is one months basic and my annual bonus which is up to 4 months bonus dependng on performance. However i do have to pay my rent out of that.

I am single, so only have me to pay for, I save about half my salary a month but have to be quite frugal to do so so if I was spending it all I guess I'd have a blast. However you won't be earning that much and you're looking to start a family. I would say it's certainly not going to be a lavish lifestyle but doable, but thinkyou could do better!

Also if you are only having one car does that mean your hubby will get alternative transort towork? if you have a baby I would suggest you have the car so you may actually need two once the anklebiter comes along! !

I know of people who have moved out here with accomadation included, the company has then changed polices and they then have to pay rent and don't get pay increases to allow for this, so be careful! Remember you should save your tax bill just in case you decide to leave before April 2012!
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 11:46 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Hi ccmail,

Ok i am in Dubai but prices aren't much different between here and Doha although I'm not sure about housing prices although byteh sounds of it yoru apartment is povided - are bills etc paid for? To me this sounds very low for an offer.

Just to give you an idea, I get 20K a month so about 5.5k US$ per month, my bonuss are split, I get ramadam bonus which is one months basic and my annual bonus which is up to 4 months bonus dependng on performance. However i do have to pay my rent out of that.

I am single, so only have me to pay for, I save about half my salary a month but have to be quite frugal to do so so if I was spending it all I guess I'd have a blast. However you won't be earning that much and you're looking to start a family. I would say it's certainly not going to be a lavish lifestyle but doable, but thinkyou could do better!

Also if you are only having one car does that mean your hubby will get alternative transort towork? if you have a baby I would suggest you have the car so you may actually need two once the anklebiter comes along! !

I know of people who have moved out here with accomadation included, the company has then changed polices and they then have to pay rent and don't get pay increases to allow for this, so be careful! Remember you should save your tax bill just in case you decide to leave before April 2012!
thanks kitty kat for the reply,

he doesn't get a ramadan bonus but does get 41 days off that has something to do with extra days for ramadan - this year the company closes from (today actually) 3Aug to I think 17sep and all of the employees are paid.

utilities are included, I have been told the only thing we have to pay for are car, car ins, food, cable tv and mobile phones.

I was hoping to get by with one car as we will live in the city centre, West Bay and I am told that we can walk to everything he will work only 10 min away. I also thought about instead of a second car, it may be worth it to hire a driver instead, I am told that it is not very expensive, I was hoping the other wives might be like minded and we could share...

thanks again for your advice and info, if you think of anything else please let me know ;-)
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 11:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

in regards to the holiday read the small print- is it work days or calender days? If it is calender days( which it generally is out here) then that means if you take holiday either side of a weekend they will also could the two day weekend as holidays- so thurs-sunday= 4days, wheras sunday-monday=2 days. Funnily enough they didn't tell me that befroe I accepted the job!

I'm sure you can get a driver or a cab but if you have a kid its not as easy as having your own car- but your hubby might be able to carpool or get a cab if he doesn't need to be mobile in his job?

Remeber it hits 50 degrees and above here mid summer so a 10 minute walk will have you soaked to the bone with sweat! - nice!

Last edited by kittycat1; Aug 3rd 2010 at 11:53 am. Reason: excessive ammount of typos
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 12:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Are you American?

Global tax... unless you don't declare it of course. I think you will be better off in the UK...
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

Keoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really nice

Al Murqab Tower is right in the up market West Bay area & my housing guy tells me it's a "good block' right next door to the financial centre.

The largest Mall - City Centre is right nearby.

The salary is light - but companies here now are offering UK salaries + all costs like housing & car. It's tax free for UK - but if you American - that's not quite true. You should already know the taxation free requirements if you are already a USA expat worker.

Qatar - like the UAE has labour laws that apply. Holidays are always 'working days' any attempt at docking a weekend from that wouldn't stand up in Qatar - can't see any reputable company trying that on - but who knows. It wouldn't be legal here.

Annual bonus is Govt set at 3 weeks pay per year you need to complete your first year & then it's pro-rata for time seved. Companies can pay more but not less.
You didn't mention 'transportation' that's usually included - cost of a Japanese rental ( about QR2000 per month ). Petrol / gas is about 50c a gallon I think - too cheap to notice.

My wife & I live very well on QR1000 per week for everything + a little extra for hotel restaurant meals. She was a teacher & now teaches English part-time & contributes to the kitty. She did do the appropriate diploma ( on-line ) which she knocked of in a couple of months - given your background you could probably do something similar.

You should be able to live quite well, nice apartment & facilities & save some money - depending on USA tax. But if you are working too I understand you can also have up to the $87,600 income before tax.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 1:03 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Are you American?

Global tax... unless you don't declare it of course. I think you will be better off in the UK...
Originally Posted by kittycat1
in regards to the holiday read the small print- is it work days or calender days? If it is calender days( which it generally is out here) then that means if you take holiday either side of a weekend they will also could the two day weekend as holidays- so thurs-sunday= 4days, wheras sunday-monday=2 days. Funnily enough they didn't tell me that befroe I accepted the job!

I'm sure you can get a driver or a cab but if you have a kid its not as easy as having your own car- but your hubby might be able to carpool or get a cab if he doesn't need to be mobile in his job?

Remeber it hits 50 degrees and above here mid summer so a 10 minute walk will have you soaked to the bone with sweat! - nice!
Originally Posted by Keoic
Al Murqab Tower is right in the up market West Bay area & my housing guy tells me it's a "good block' right next door to the financial centre.

The largest Mall - City Centre is right nearby.

The salary is light - but companies here now are offering UK salaries + all costs like housing & car. It's tax free for UK - but if you American - that's not quite true. You should already know the taxation free requirements if you are already a USA expat worker.

Qatar - like the UAE has labour laws that apply. Holidays are always 'working days' any attempt at docking a weekend from that wouldn't stand up in Qatar - can't see any reputable company trying that on - but who knows. It wouldn't be legal here.

Annual bonus is Govt set at 3 weeks pay per year you need to complete your first year & then it's pro-rata for time seved. Companies can pay more but not less.
You didn't mention 'transportation' that's usually included - cost of a Japanese rental ( about QR2000 per month ). Petrol / gas is about 50c a gallon I think - too cheap to notice.

My wife & I live very well on QR1000 per week for everything + a little extra for hotel restaurant meals. She was a teacher & now teaches English part-time & contributes to the kitty. She did do the appropriate diploma ( on-line ) which she knocked of in a couple of months - given your background you could probably do something similar.

You should be able to live quite well, nice apartment & facilities & save some money - depending on USA tax. But if you are working too I understand you can also have up to the $87,600 income before tax.
thank you so much for the info!!!!! It is nice to have positive feedback from everyone. The company my hubby is working for does not have a car arrangement in place. I did mention it since my husband is now the fifth Amer or EU person they have recruited in the last 9 months. It would make things so much easier if the car was included!

It is an educational institution with ties to the foundation so I'd like to think that everything we are being told/offered from the company is legitimate and above board.

I do have a question about the contract. I read somewhere that the employment contract was only valid if it was in Arabic? But then it came in English. I didn't think much of it but then I was watching a programme on TV - ok don't laugh "Homes from Hell" where Brit expats buy dream homes abroad and it all goes wrong - well this couple had a contract in Turkey and it was in English and they were told to be legal in Turkey it had to be in Turkish sooooo, now I am wondering again...
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ccmail321
thank you so much for the info!!!!! It is nice to have positive feedback from everyone. The company my hubby is working for does not have a car arrangement in place. I did mention it since my husband is now the fifth Amer or EU person they have recruited in the last 9 months. It would make things so much easier if the car was included!

It is an educational institution with ties to the foundation so I'd like to think that everything we are being told/offered from the company is legitimate and above board.

I do have a question about the contract. I read somewhere that the employment contract was only valid if it was in Arabic? But then it came in English. I didn't think much of it but then I was watching a programme on TV - ok don't laugh "Homes from Hell" where Brit expats buy dream homes abroad and it all goes wrong - well this couple had a contract in Turkey and it was in English and they were told to be legal in Turkey it had to be in Turkish sooooo, now I am wondering again...
Most contracts in most countries are only legal in the official language. In Spain the contract is written in English and Spanish but it states that it is only the Spanish that is legal. Lots of people have come unstuck because they just assumed that the Spanish and English version said the same!!
Oh and it isn't just Brits that buy dream houses and end up with Hell houses