Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Moving to AD struggling to find school places

Wikiposts

Moving to AD struggling to find school places

Old Jun 25th 2013, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

Jo Trick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to AD struggling to find school places

Ok, so we have just started looking into schools for our 5 year old twins and there are NO places left.
One of our girls has global development delay so would need extra support and so far every door has been slammed in out faces!!
Any advice out there, would appreciate any help!
Thanks
Jo
Old Jun 25th 2013, 4:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to AD struggling to find school places

Originally Posted by Jo Trick
Ok, so we have just started looking into schools for our 5 year old twins and there are NO places left.
One of our girls has global development delay so would need extra support and so far every door has been slammed in out faces!!
Any advice out there, would appreciate any help!
Thanks
Jo
think i may have replied on another forum. the issue here is that the uae dont do any sort of special needs very well, certainly not like the uk do. which schools have you asked? you need to ask at gems cambridge and reach british school, the other 2 new ones, repton and cranleigh there are very expensive and being independant uk schs would not be the best environment for some special needs kids, as they will have much more pressure on the kids to achieve high marks. to tell you the truth, most people think it will be fine and they will fit in, but in the end they often try it out and then have to go back with the child as it doesnt work out.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 4:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

have you looked at cis? or aisa?
Old Jun 25th 2013, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

Hi Busybee,
I think you have replied to my friend who is in AD right now.
Is reach opening this year??? It's really hard for us as we only knew we were moving to AD. Little while ago. We have been advised to get there and then go and call into schools and beg?!!!
My little girl would not cope without support so am under no illusion that she could just cope!! My other twin would be good anywhere!!
We'll keep plugging away at it, we need to get on some waiting lists I think!!!
Old Jun 25th 2013, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

To help you get underway, here is a list of schools which I can think of. I have no idea which might have spaces, nor which can provide extra support:
Brighton College Abu Dhabi
Repton ditto.
British School Al Khubeirat
British International School Abu Dhabi
Al Yasmina, Pearl, Al Muna - all Aldar schools, and you used to be able to access all their websites from one central point. There might be further Aldar schools, I can't remember them all.
There is a Canadian school (noting where you are living).
GEMS
American International School
Then there are various more...
I'd put your question on the abudhabiwoman website also.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 11:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jo Trick
Hi Busybee,
I think you have replied to my friend who is in AD right now.
Is reach opening this year??? It's really hard for us as we only knew we were moving to AD. Little while ago. We have been advised to get there and then go and call into schools and beg?!!!
My little girl would not cope without support so am under no illusion that she could just cope!! My other twin would be good anywhere!!
We'll keep plugging away at it, we need to get on some waiting lists I think!!!
reach british school is being built now, but i see it every day they are building it pre cast so the actual building of 3 floors etc was built in a few weeks. cambridge internationl another couple of minutes further on... is nearly finished. these are new schools so getting contact will be at either sister schools for gems etc or they open an office somewhere off site.

i dont know what the waiting lists are like for those but usualy they are your best bet getting in first of all. usually in the british schools here if you get 1 child in the the others will move up the waiting lists.

special needs best bet new schools as they may well be more helpful, with the academic independing schools nope they dont like.

dont believe that yes just turn up and beg, that wont happen. unfortunately people may well think they will be leaving a school here but havent told the school this is because you actually dont know until it happens, you dont want to give away your place and something happens with a visa issue or some paperwork not happening in time which happens a lot.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 11:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by archie159
To help you get underway, here is a list of schools which I can think of. I have no idea which might have spaces, nor which can provide extra support:
Brighton College Abu Dhabi
Repton ditto.
British School Al Khubeirat
British International School Abu Dhabi
Al Yasmina, Pearl, Al Muna - all Aldar schools, and you used to be able to access all their websites from one central point. There might be further Aldar schools, I can't remember them all.
There is a Canadian school (noting where you are living).
GEMS
American International School
Then there are various more...
I'd put your question on the abudhabiwoman website also.
archie you are forgetting

raha school
reach british school
american commnity sch
gems cambridge high school
gems cambridge internationl school
aldar mushrif school
aldar bateen school
cranleigh school

and she will get no more different information on adw than on here i can tell you apart from other peoples perception of ad schools.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 1:09 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all the replies,
We've tried all of these schools and have spoke not to principal at REACH too.
I think we will get on some waiting lists and see what happens. It's a worry that my girls will not get an education this year, not sure if we can home school or employ someone to come into our home at least to provide them with some help?! Does anyone know of any websites for home school teachers? One school told us it was frowned upon but what else can we do!?
How would have thought it would be so hard to get schooling sorted?
Old Jun 26th 2013, 1:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

it used to be harder to get into schools a few years ago, there are many more options now, in the past there were only 2 british schools. people then had to move to dubai or send the kids home to board, or leave.

you are not allowed to allow kids to be out of school for more than 10 days if so they will have to repeat a year. you have to show continuation of grades etc, passing one year and the next, but also causes problems when you move from the american system to the british system for eg as the grading numbering is different, so quite often kids have to go back a year. homeschooling well again the ministry doest really like it and you have the issue about then not getting the certificate to pass onto the next year etc. there will be ahole in the education. i dont think you will be allowed to employ a tutor, they are illegal here as with anyone working for you you need to sponsor them and do the correct paperwork, and the moe will not sponsor a tutor etc. they will just say put them in a school etc.....
Old Jul 28th 2013, 11:44 pm
Just Joined

Britchick42 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. I used to live in AD for 5 years and sadly have just returned home to he UK. What Busybee2 says is entirely correct. I can add though, that my own kids saw a few schools there and in my own opinion. Al Bateen Secondary school worked the best for us and 3 of my kids had issues. We did have the kids in the British International School and despite their provision for special needs I didn't rate it. Al Bateen have an actual British Senco and it may not be as you would get at home but it really was the best I have come across. She was lovely and really knew her stuff. We had IEP meetings and she got all teachers on board . There is very little provision . It also depends on your child's needs. There is a new special needs school in Mussafah primarily aimed at Autism . I do believe they are more profoundly affected . An old colleague works there, but I cannot say if that's applicable to your situation . I hope you can get something sorted.