Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Midwife seeking advice on move to Abu Dhabi

Midwife seeking advice on move to Abu Dhabi

Old Oct 2nd 2017, 11:29 am
Just Joined

WelshMidwife is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Midwife seeking advice on move to Abu Dhabi

Hi all,

I am a UK midwife currently living and working in wales. I have been a midwife for a number of years now, and have been dreaming about working away for far too long. I have recently visited Abu Dhabi, which I absolutely loved and I am now finally starting the process to relocate there. I was lucky enough to have visited the Corniche hospital whilst I was there, and met with the HR department who now has my CV. However, in order to widen my chances of a job offer I was hoping someone would be able to provide me with more information on how to apply for jobs, whether to apply direct or through agencies, benefits of working in UAE, accommodation, work/life balance etc. Any information regarding the process and living in Abu Dhabi will be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
Hannah
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 5:04 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Midwife seeking advice on move to Abu Dhabi

Originally Posted by WelshMidwife
Hi all,

I am a UK midwife currently living and working in wales. I have been a midwife for a number of years now, and have been dreaming about working away for far too long. I have recently visited Abu Dhabi, which I absolutely loved and I am now finally starting the process to relocate there. I was lucky enough to have visited the Corniche hospital whilst I was there, and met with the HR department who now has my CV. However, in order to widen my chances of a job offer I was hoping someone would be able to provide me with more information on how to apply for jobs, whether to apply direct or through agencies, benefits of working in UAE, accommodation, work/life balance etc. Any information regarding the process and living in Abu Dhabi will be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
Hannah
I can truly say that I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' no babies but in the absence of any other useful advice forthcoming, I can offer the following generic observations. Finding a job can be pretty random: you might luck out and find something quickly or spends ages in futile frustration. I'd suggest trying every angle you can discover.

There are websites active in this region like monsterjobs.com where you can post your CV. Diligently and regularly follow up any contacts you may have. By all means, identify all of the maternity hospitals in AD and send your CV with a cover letter. You never know when it might land in somebody's inbox on the day they have to fill an urgent vacancy.

I have no idea how extensively midwives are used here (for the reason mentioned in my opening sentence). Others will have to advise. AD is building up its medical infrastructure so that should be one positive element. On the other hand they may be able to access qualified midwives from various countries in Asia where salary expectations are much lower and that might set a very low benchmark for what you can reasonably hope to earn - this is the case in many professions here, no idea if it applies in yours.

Also, you may find the work culture significantly at odds with your dreams: it can often be stifling and bureaucratic (particularly in state hospitals) and individual employees have very few protections compared to Europe. But you get to meet a great variety of people and have access to lots of wonderful experiences so you just have to balance what's important to you.
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

There have been British midwives recruited to come to the UAE in the past. I have no idea how common it is but I remember the queries and follow-ups on various expat forums.

Otherwise Miss Anne is right. Finding a job in the UAE is crapshoot. It could happen literally overnight, or it could take years. Broaden your search to Dubai as well. It may not be your first choice but if you get a Dubai offer first, take it and then it'll be much easier to lateral to an Abu Dhabi job as you're already in the country.
Old Oct 4th 2017, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

The Corniche Hospital is full of British and Irish midwives.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 9:31 am
Just Joined

Thank you all for replying, and for the advice. I am definitely going to apply for jobs in both Abu Dhabi and Dubai to try and widen my chances of getting a job. I can see it can be a difficult and long process sometimes to get there, and found this out by chatting to a couple of the midwives in the corniche also. I saw monster jobs during one of my online searches and was unsure if it was safe, so thank you for clarifying that. Thank you again, any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 11:21 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for replying, and for the advice. I am definitely going to apply for jobs in both Abu Dhabi and Dubai to try and widen my chances of getting a job. I can see it can be a difficult and long process sometimes to get there, and found this out by chatting to a couple of the midwives in the corniche also. I saw monster jobs during one of my online searches and was unsure if it was safe, so thank you for clarifying that. Thank you again, any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
Good luck, it sounds like your quest is very reasonable and achievable. Thanks for acknowledging our responses: plenty of people post once with a query and disappear off into the sunset or wherever such ingrates go! Stay a regular on the bored and keep us updated. God knows we need new blood.
Old Oct 15th 2017, 9:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
Good luck, it sounds like your quest is very reasonable and achievable. Thanks for acknowledging our responses: plenty of people post once with a query and disappear off into the sunset or wherever such ingrates go! Stay a regular on the bored and keep us updated. God knows we need new blood.
Thank you very much. I have found this forum very useful for all information on making my move to the UAE and no doubt will have lots more questions for you all. I have made progress and been offered an interview with a hospital in Abu Dhabi which I am over the moon about, I cant believe I've had such a quick response. If anyone has any tips please send them my way, I've not had an interview for quite some time now and the nerves are already setting in.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 11:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you very much. I have found this forum very useful for all information on making my move to the UAE and no doubt will have lots more questions for you all. I have made progress and been offered an interview with a hospital in Abu Dhabi which I am over the moon about, I cant believe I've had such a quick response. If anyone has any tips please send them my way, I've not had an interview for quite some time now and the nerves are already setting in.
Be humble and compliment them. That's my top tip.
Old Nov 5th 2017, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

McnishUK is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope your interview went well. I also am a midwife currently working in london. I also have the same dream of working abroad. I applied to a few hospitals in Abu Dhabi and had an interview which seems to have been around the same time as you. I was thankfully offered the job. Thank you for the advice!!!!
Old Feb 7th 2018, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

lin c is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all,
i am a French midwife and will start to work in Dubai in the next month, in a private hospital. I have seen WelshMidiwfe that you spoke with midwives from the Corniche Hospital, can you tell me if its true that they can do deliveries by their own? I am kind of stressed... I am afraid to not like it. Whatever now I will try it, but it would be nice to talk with you about it.
I am sorry for my English
Old Feb 7th 2018, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

lin c is an unknown quantity at this point

and also it seems to be more in Abu Dhabi that everyone works, is there a reason? thanks
Old Jul 12th 2018, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

midwifefunkuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Hannah,

I have just stumbled across your post whilst searching the web for info re a move to UAE as a british midwife. How did you get on?
I have been looking for a while and applied for a few positions... Recently I have scheduled an interview for a hospital in Al Ain.
Would be good to hear how you have got on?

Kind Regards,