Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Would you show your current employer another job offer to get more money?

Would you show your current employer another job offer to get more money?

Old Jul 4th 2018, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

eastrunner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Would you show your current employer another job offer to get more money?

I hear this is common practice, has anyone done it? although the 'potential' move is to a not so desirable city within the gulf?

ER
Old Jul 4th 2018, 7:00 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you show your current employer another job offer to get more money?

Only with the employer details redacted... The old employer might either decide to have a word with the new employer about your deplorable tactics, or may choose to queer the deal in some way. If you tell them you have a firm offer of xxx and they want you they might or not choose to counter offer but dont overplay it.
Old Jul 4th 2018, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you show your current employer another job offer to get more money?

Originally Posted by eastrunner
I hear this is common practice, has anyone done it? although the 'potential' move is to a not so desirable city within the gulf?

ER
Pre 2009 counter offers used to be popular and due to this we lost many candidates
This week and last week In order to secure more money at their current company 2 of my candidates showed their employer their offer letters. It didn't work for them as they refused to increase their salaries and said if you want to leave then go
It all depends on how much your employer wants you to stay. As the other posters said i would remove all the company info
Old Jul 4th 2018, 8:59 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eastrunner

ER
People have done it to me,in the sense of here's a better offer I'm off if you don't match it. My feeling is that if it was such a great offer you'd be handing in your resignation not giving me a chance to better it, so I don't give counter offers.
uk_grenada is right, you may hint at it so it's in employers' mind come bonus or increment time but the direct approach means you have to be prepared for your bluff to be called, or even if you get a counter offer they are already starting to source your replacement.
Old Jul 4th 2018, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I would always seek to remove such a person and I would certainly not negotiate against a threat.
Old Jul 4th 2018, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

omega7 is an unknown quantity at this point

The OP is probably referring to a real (current) case whereby you have a job in a nice GCC location e.g. Dubai, and you get an attractive offer for a not so nice GCC location e.g. Doha or even worse, Saudi.

There are two options:

1) the offer is not really one you would take, then you say nothing and life goes on, or
2) the offer is good and everything else being equal you will take it, unless your employer makes a move. So, on the understanding that in all cases you have an offer which you are willing to take, then i would talk about it with my current employer (no need to show any details). I think the key here is ensure that this offer is not seen as a blackmail, and for this a friendly chat with your employer is needed (depending of course on your relationship with your boss) e.g. saying that you are pressured financially and although you don't want to leave, there is a good offer on the table and you would like to know what you may expect from your current employer in the next year or so.

If your current employer offers you a better deal, you could stay. If not, then you take the offer. I think the key is to be willing, once you have this discussion with your employer, to walk out of the door if he doesnt offer anything extra (concrete). It'd be really bad if you told him about the offer, only for you to stay without your employer giving you anything.

There are of course many different options and scenarios. I just wrote a generic one, from my own experience.