British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   ME Job Discussions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/)
-   -   Mesaieed Industrial City - Doha Qatar (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/mesaieed-industrial-city-doha-qatar-721545/)

training_2_teach Jun 19th 2011 12:08 pm

Mesaieed Industrial City - Doha Qatar

Can anyone tell me anything about this city? How far is it from doha and what is the social life like there? e.g. shopping malls, entertainment, eatery etc

co durham boy Jun 19th 2011 12:20 pm

Re: Mesaieed Industrial City - Doha Qatar

Originally Posted by training_2_teach (Post 9442421)
Can anyone tell me anything about this city? How far is it from doha and what is the social life like there? e.g. shopping malls, entertainment, eatery etc

Mesaieed is an industrial wasteland around 30km from Doha , it is no way a city of any shape or form . There is no entertainment and no major shopping malls , you're social life would consist of maybe the annual goat herding championships or dodge the irate local Arab driving down the wrong side of the road .

Doha is dull and pretty boring but Mesaieed makes it look like Bangkok . My advice would be to live in Doha and just drive every day , it's not that far and would save your soul . There's nothing there except Chemical , Gas and industrial zones , you'll find life there but not as you know it !

Paracletus Jun 19th 2011 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 9442434)
Mesaieed is an industrial wasteland around 30km from Doha , it is no way a city of any shape or form . There is no entertainment and no major shopping malls , you're social life would consist of maybe the annual goat herding championships or dodge the irate local Arab driving down the wrong side of the road .

Doha is dull and pretty boring but Mesaieed makes it look like Bangkok . My advice would be to live in Doha and just drive every day , it's not that far and would save your soul . There's nothing there except Chemical , Gas and industrial zones , you'll find life there but not as you know it !

And not to forget the replicated houses which seem to re-occur a few thousand times.

co durham boy Jun 19th 2011 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Paracletus (Post 9442444)
And not to forget the replicated houses which seem to re-occur a few thousand times.

and the inbreeding.....There's some funny sights and shapes down there...!

OleJanx Jun 19th 2011 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 9442434)

"Life" is unduely generous of you! Have you bumped your head?:)

co durham boy Jun 19th 2011 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 9442603)
"Life" is unduely generous of you! Have you bumped your head?:)

No but the shit load of money they pay me soothes the pain......

jackthehat Jun 19th 2011 4:45 pm

Doha! - A City of Contrasts! - Light Beige and Dark Beige!
Was there for two years and still could not work on which side of the road they drive on!

co durham boy Jun 20th 2011 5:01 am

Originally Posted by jackthehat (Post 9442697)
Doha! - A City of Contrasts! - Light Beige and Dark Beige!
Was there for two years and still could not work on which side of the road they drive on!

All sides mate and any way round a roundabout better still with all your family in the from seat while using your Blackberry..!

A heinous nation !

jackthehat Jun 20th 2011 9:46 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 9443548)
All sides mate and any way round a roundabout better still with all your family in the from seat while using your Blackberry..!

A heinous nation !

Yup! But compared to Iraq . . .
I did a year there, and always wondered Red Traffic Lights meant!

OleJanx Jun 20th 2011 9:52 am

What the various coloured traffic lights meant was "Electricity in this district at the moment...."

jackthehat Jun 20th 2011 11:53 am

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 9443921)
What the various coloured traffic lights meant was "Electricity in this district at the moment...."

Yup! - You're right there! - Must get back and turn off the generator! Don't remind me of those nights spent in the car (Keeping Cool in the Summer, and Warm in the Winter!)

Tockalosh Jun 28th 2011 11:02 am

I shall try and be objective as just had 3 miserable days in Mesaieed.

Its a toilet, bugger all there, med centre has limited capability so in the event of something going bad, its a trip to Doha,

I have not been to the Qatalum compounds so cant comment on how good life is there, but for the rest its shite, half way to Doha is Wakra and that is shite as well

You can join half of the Qataris quad biking on the dunes just down the road if you have no aversion to fear

co durham boy Jun 28th 2011 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Tockalosh (Post 9462067)
I shall try and be objective as just had 3 miserable days in Mesaieed.

Its a toilet, bugger all there, med centre has limited capability so in the event of something going bad, its a trip to Doha,

I have not been to the Qatalum compounds so cant comment on how good life is there, but for the rest its shite, half way to Doha is Wakra and that is shite as well

You can join half of the Qataris quad biking on the dunes just down the road if you have no aversion to fear

You make it sound better than it is mate....

Alexa Jun 29th 2011 4:15 pm

People actually LIVE out there??????????????:eek:

OleJanx Jun 29th 2011 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 9465078)
People actually LIVE out there??????????????:eek:

I think "live" is being unduely generous....