British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   ME Job Discussions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/)
-   -   Medical (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/medical-620055/)

Sarahb79 Jul 14th 2009 10:02 am

Medical

As posted before am still sorting stuff out for my move.

Have been told I need a medical before I move, which I expected but not all of the test's required and in the books about relocating to UAE it say's that medical's whould be performed when arrived in the UAE.

They have asked for Hepaptitus and HIV, which I expected. They also want pregnancy test and Chest xray.

Is this normal?

Cheers all.

soukie Jul 14th 2009 10:10 am

Re: Medical

A chest xray is now a normal part of the medical for UAE residence. Haven't heard the one about pregnancy tests! All my medicals have been carried out in UAE so I am not sure about the ones done outside.

Roadking Jul 14th 2009 10:49 am

I've just had my medical for visa renewal and they didn't give me a pregnancy test. Didn't xray my chest either. :huh:

Blue Cat Jul 14th 2009 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by soukie (Post 7750928)
A chest xray is now a normal part of the medical for UAE residence. Haven't heard the one about pregnancy tests! All my medicals have been carried out in UAE so I am not sure about the ones done outside.

all bloods are checked for pregnancy, it is to avoid people employing someone who is pregnant. Yes unbelievable.

andrewpops Jul 17th 2009 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 7751012)
I've just had my medical for visa renewal and they didn't give me a pregnancy test. Didn't xray my chest either. :huh:

Other half had the residency medical in AD last month - had the chest ray (as I did the a month earlier). AD is getting more consistent now the screening has moved to a government agency.

Darkwan Jul 21st 2009 8:40 am

Chest X-rays are done to check for tuberclosis. I did have one.

Hello.Kitty Jul 21st 2009 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Darkwan (Post 7769999)
Chest X-rays are done to check for tuberclosis. I did have one.

I didn't have the chest x-ray cos I was pregnant, but they did ask me to do a test to prove it - funny thing was that although women get complete priority over the hundred(s) blokes there, I still had to ask a chap to unlock the (outside) loo, then walk back through the waiting room with the sample, hand it over to the chaps in the lab and politely wait in the lab for the result while they were dealing with other patients. Patient confidentiality is unheard of!

Oh, and then the result was shouted across the office part. "She needs an x-ray"... "no, it's ok, she's PREGNANT!"

Anyhow, I thought all that happened on the USE side.

harrypic Jul 26th 2009 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Sarahb79 (Post 7750907)
As posted before am still sorting stuff out for my move.

Have been told I need a medical before I move, which I expected but not all of the test's required and in the books about relocating to UAE it say's that medical's whould be performed when arrived in the UAE.

They have asked for Hepaptitus and HIV, which I expected. They also want pregnancy test and Chest xray.

Is this normal?

Cheers all.

Did mine 6 months ago and they only did chest xrays for non Europeans - I only needed the blood test.

busybee2 Jul 27th 2009 5:54 am

its changed now that all people need to have xray before it was only for the "workers" ie not for housewife's etc but now as of this year all have chest xray apparently.

Euc- Jul 27th 2009 10:00 am

Originally Posted by harrypic (Post 7786097)
Did mine 6 months ago and they only did chest xrays for non Europeans - I only needed the blood test.

That is just not true. I know of at least a few Europeans who had to do it, like everyone else.

Madam Medusa Jul 27th 2009 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Euc- (Post 7787350)
That is just not true. I know of at least a few Europeans who had to do it, like everyone else.

i think it depends on where you go and how they feel...i haven't had an xray for either medical, but i know loads of other people who have...like everything else here, no logic to it...

MM, xx

Grace O Malley Jul 27th 2009 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Euc- (Post 7787350)

I have always had a chest x ray done for my visa

busybee2 Jul 27th 2009 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley (Post 7787417)
I have always had a chest x ray done for my visa

yes because you work, if you are a housewife in the past you didnt need to, but apparently that has changed as of beg of year and that they are now doing it at skmc etc.

aberdeensiregirl Jul 28th 2009 9:08 am

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 7788816)
yes because you work, if you are a housewife in the past you didnt need to, but apparently that has changed as of beg of year and that they are now doing it at skmc etc.

Just had my medical in Al Ain this week and had blood test and x ray. I am a housewife

Roadking Jul 28th 2009 9:18 am

Originally Posted by aberdeensiregirl (Post 7790527)
Just had my medical in Al Ain this week and had blood test and x ray. I am a housewife

Yes, but did they give you a pregnancy test to see if can fulfill that role?:huh: