Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

M&E Group in kuwait (advice needed)

M&E Group in kuwait (advice needed)

Old Jul 8th 2010, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

spoilt1033 is just really nicespoilt1033 is just really nicespoilt1033 is just really nicespoilt1033 is just really nicespoilt1033 is just really nicespoilt1033 is just really nicespoilt1033 is just really nicespoilt1033 is just really nice
Talking Re: M&E Group in kuwait (advice needed)

Originally Posted by soukie
It may be different if you are working for the US Military - I am talking about the normal procedure for Companies. I hope that it all works out well and it would be useful if you could update the thread when you know what's happening. Good luck and safe journey!
one thing i have found out, there a bit stingy when booking flights, going for 5-8 months, but only allowed 20kg baggage allowance, oh well, whole life into one bag! here we go again.

wages are around £800 take home a week paid direct into account, will update rest when i find a broadband connection once i have arrived, COUNTING DOWN THE HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SUNTAN HERE I COME, LOL

SEE YA ALL
Old Jul 10th 2010, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

spoilt1033 is just really nicespoilt1033 is just really nicespoilt1033 is just really nicespoilt1033 is just really nicespoilt1033 is just really nicespoilt1033 is just really nicespoilt1033 is just really nicespoilt1033 is just really nice
Default Re: M&E Group in kuwait (advice needed)

Hi, all, this is spoilt1033 again, well i have arrived, weathers scorching hot, getting a nice tan, chilling out for a week. Accommodation is a 3 bed apartment with 3 of us (drivers) sharing it, Swiiming pool as well, but not filled yet, as still being sorted out, apartment is brilliant, massive double room with aircon, own bathroom plus veranda looking onto pool - only downside (on 2nd floor), had to fill out a visa14 on arrival and have to go over border for 1 day in 3months to renew visa, problems with currency side, cant use visa card even though told bank i am coming to kuwait? locals are okay, food is great, found a pizza place last night (fin awsome - new local), found a macdonalds that takes us dollars so macds for breakfast, pizza for dinner & tea for rest of weeks holiday period, drinking water like i'm a fish, beginning to feel like one. sniffed the beach, but not managed to get near enough yet to actually sample, start work next week.

to anyone offered a job with M&E Group in Kuwait - TAKE IT, you might have to go at short notice (Bit of a pain in the arse but worth it), accommodation is great, Banking is a serious headache at moment but hope to have sorted out shortly (mon/tue), work side, i'll let you know next week, went shopping in local town and had 3/4 security watching our every step? whats that all about? anyone would think they dont trust us? we arnt that dodgy, HONEST!
Old Jul 10th 2010, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

If you are doing visa runs it sounds like you will not have a residence visa and therefore all the medical checks etc won't be necessary - not sure that it is legal though! The Sultan Centre is good for food shopping. Enjoy!
Old Jul 10th 2010, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

If you are doing visa runs it sounds like you will not have a residence visa and therefore all the medical checks etc won't be necessary - not sure that it is legal though! The Sultan Centre is good for food shopping. Enjoy!
wheres the sultan centre? sounds like the place i was at today, looked very posh, clean with lots of security, also had a cinema that plays films in english?
Old Jul 10th 2010, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spoilt1033
wheres the sultan centre? sounds like the place i was at today, looked very posh, clean with lots of security, also had a cinema that plays films in english?
The Sultan Centre are a group that sells food etc - it's not a shopping centre. There are a few branches in Kuwait so check their website to see where your nearest one is- http://www.sultan-center.com There is also a Carrefour (Avenues Mall) and Geant (360 Mall)

There are lots of posh centres in Kuwait (360 mall, Avenues etc) and they are very expensive. Some genuine sales on now though!
Old Jul 11th 2010, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

The Sultan Centre are a group that sells food etc - it's not a shopping centre. There are a few branches in Kuwait so check their website to see where your nearest one is- http://www.sultan-center.com There is also a Carrefour (Avenues Mall) and Geant (360 Mall)

There are lots of posh centres in Kuwait (360 mall, Avenues etc) and they are very expensive. Some genuine sales on now though!
there were plenty of food places upstairs, heading there later today, so should find out what it was called
Old Jul 11th 2010, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

If my memory is right just over the road and a couple of hundred metres from the Sultan Centre is the famous Johnnie Rockets fast food diner.
Mind you it is about 7 years since i was last in kuwait.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 3:52 am
Just Joined

Bob-the-builder is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by coffindodger
If my memory is right just over the road and a couple of hundred metres from the Sultan Centre is the famous Johnnie Rockets fast food diner.
Mind you it is about 7 years since i was last in kuwait.
I to have applied for this position but after reading the above ive changed my mind and WONT be going. Money isnt what i was told tbh and accom seems only for 3 months then you have to pay for it yourself. When you look at figures spoilt quoted of £800 a week when you take your accom out in 3 months time and have bought your own food you may as well stay in Uk,
Old Jul 19th 2010, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob-the-builder
I to have applied for this position but after reading the above ive changed my mind and WONT be going. Money isnt what i was told tbh and accom seems only for 3 months then you have to pay for it yourself. When you look at figures spoilt quoted of £800 a week when you take your accom out in 3 months time and have bought your own food you may as well stay in Uk,
Nothing personal mate but the info above is a load of rubbish where M&E Group is concerned, accommodation is free for the duration of the contract ie - how long you stay and work, you are told before coming out what you will earn a week and the only expense is food, transport is provided free, there is a period when you first get out here where you will need to buy food and you are told to bring enough money to last 3 weeks (ie the date your first wage is paid) and also that you will not get paid untill you have your pass to the US base (can take upto 2 weeks). There are a lot of drivers complaining out here because they are having to pick up litter (normally once a day), if you are apllying and you are liable to be one of these guys - then this probably isnt the job for you or if you suffer from bordom. Thing with this job is - once you are badged (ie got your passes), you cant fam up on the US army vehicles untill you get your learner badge which means you will be sat around doing nothing sometimes untill you get it, the way i think is, I AM GETTING PAID £825PW TO PICK UP LITTER ONCE A DAY!!!!!!!!!!! how much would you get in the UK?

PS. Have now sorted out banking side (effing banks are useless - have to unlock my card again in 3 months - cost me nearly £70 to get unlocked (phonecalls to UK Bank) solution to this is to get joint account and the person in the UK on the joint account sorts out from that end.

Last edited by spoilt1033; Jul 19th 2010 at 10:48 am. Reason: update
Old Jul 19th 2010, 11:33 am
Just Joined

Hi Spoilt

Have had discussion with misses and have changed my mind and i do see your point about Money. Im booked on Manchester flight for Tues evening to fly out. Hell ill pick up Rubbish for that lol. Ill hold bag n u can stick rubbish in . What sort of stuff i gotta pack mt8 as 20 kilos aint much. Pvt e mail me if you want

[email protected].

Steve
Old Jul 19th 2010, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spoilt1033
Nothing personal mate but the info above is a load of rubbish where M&E Group is concerned, accommodation is free for the duration of the contract ie - how long you stay and work, you are told before coming out what you will earn a week and the only expense is food, transport is provided free, there is a period when you first get out here where you will need to buy food and you are told to bring enough money to last 3 weeks (ie the date your first wage is paid) and also that you will not get paid untill you have your pass to the US base (can take upto 2 weeks). There are a lot of drivers complaining out here because they are having to pick up litter (normally once a day), if you are apllying and you are liable to be one of these guys - then this probably isnt the job for you or if you suffer from bordom. Thing with this job is - once you are badged (ie got your passes), you cant fam up on the US army vehicles untill you get your learner badge which means you will be sat around doing nothing sometimes untill you get it, the way i think is, I AM GETTING PAID £825PW TO PICK UP LITTER ONCE A DAY!!!!!!!!!!! how much would you get in the UK?

PS. Have now sorted out banking side (effing banks are useless - have to unlock my card again in 3 months - cost me nearly £70 to get unlocked (phonecalls to UK Bank) solution to this is to get joint account and the person in the UK on the joint account sorts out from that end.
Hi Spoilt

Having spoken to wife about it and reading your reply on this ive changed my mind and booked on Mancs flight tommorrow night to kuwait . Im no moaner and like u going out to work to earn the pennys . Ill do anything mt8 long as it pays and doesnt involve me selling bits of my body off lol. question for you mt8 ? .Whats best stuff to pack as your out there and i presume its a dam sight warmer then my last holiday in the bahmas. Any advice you can give me would be gratfully recieved . Can u mail me direct please regarding my questions
Steve
[email protected] is e mail addy
Old Jul 19th 2010, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

Hi Spoilt.

Flying out tommorrow evening from Mancs , awaiting time from M&E. U hold the bag n ill put Rubbish in Ok ?
Old Jul 20th 2010, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob-the-builder
Hi Spoilt

Have had discussion with misses and have changed my mind and i do see your point about Money. Im booked on Manchester flight for Tues evening to fly out. Hell ill pick up Rubbish for that lol. Ill hold bag n u can stick rubbish in . What sort of stuff i gotta pack mt8 as 20 kilos aint much. Pvt e mail me if you want

[email protected].

Steve
PACK WARM WEATHER GEAR (temp is around 45 55 degrees)

IE: cotton t shirts, shorts, socks, hat (baseball cap type), trousers (1/2 pairs - thin for warm weather, you need them for working on base, but american px sells them when you have your pass), 2 pair of coveralls (winter),Steel toe cap boots,

MOST IMPORTANT - CONTACT YOUR BANK TO GET YOUR BANK ACCOUNT UNLOCKED FOR USE IN KUWAIT - ITS A PAIN IN THE ARSE TO DEAL WITH ONCE YOUR OUT HERE

MONEY

100/200 Kuwaiti Dinar for while you are waiting for your camp pass for Meals/Food (upto 14 days)
50/100 US Dollars (McDonalds will take US Dollars - First Meal on Arrival?)

You dont get paid till the end of the third week and are then paid Fortnightly (Bear this in Mind when bringing Money)

If you cant get any Dinars in time, see either akim or one of the lads on arrival and they should be able to help you out.

Akim will change UK Sterling for Dinars or US Dollars

You will probably need a Phone/Local Sim Card one youve settled - Cost of Sim Card is about 10 Dinar (Includes 5 Dinar Phone Credit), Bring a Unlocked Phone with you and it should take the Sim Card.

My names Keith by the way, you will probably be put into block 10 when you arrive, i am in block 9, room 5. By all means nip over and have a chat.

Have a Good Flight (You get an Evening Meal and Breakfast on the Flight, You will Fly to Heathrow First, then Direct to Kuwait, NORMALLY - Flight times are 1hour Man - Heathrow, and 6 hours for Heathrow to Kuwait)

Last edited by spoilt1033; Jul 20th 2010 at 6:03 pm. Reason: Updating
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 11:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

To the person who "reported" a post to post something, that is a report a post button.

Post your message via the "new reply" button.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

Highway19 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys good luck with the job. I have just sent my CV off to M&E today. How long does the process take from sending application to job offer? Closing date is 30th July so just in time.
Also how is the job going Spoilt and have you found out if M&E are telling the truth about pay, accommodation etc. Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.