British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   ME Job Discussions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/)
-   -   M&E Group in kuwait (advice needed) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/m-e-group-kuwait-advice-needed-674776/)

spoilt1033 Jul 1st 2010 10:51 am

M&E Group in kuwait (advice needed)

Hi, My names Keith Norton and i'm in the process of applying for an HGV 1 Driving job in Kuwait with a company called M&E Group, i am after a bit of advice from someone who is either working for them out there now opr someone who has worked for them. Trying to find out a bit more about the conditions, Accommodation, what they are like to work for etc, This job seems too good to be true and i just want to see if it is?

Davey83 Jul 6th 2010 5:03 pm

Re: M&E Group in kuwait (advice needed)

hi keith

Davey83 Jul 6th 2010 5:04 pm

i too have applied for this

Davey83 Jul 6th 2010 5:04 pm

was wondering how/what you found out ?

spoilt1033 Jul 6th 2010 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Davey83 (Post 8681796)
was wondering how/what you found out ?

Hi, have you been confirmed on a Flight? or are you still applying?

I fly out this week, job seems decent/ Genuine

I have to make my own way to airport but they pay for flight out, Still not passed Security as yet and was told that if i fail and i have already goneout there, i have to pay for my flight back (somewhere around £300 - £400 - if the worst happens, i would go see british consulate for help with returning - so that potential problem can be overcome)

Patsy Stoned Jul 7th 2010 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by spoilt1033 (Post 8682035)

I have to make my own way to airport but they pay for flight out, Still not passed Security as yet and was told that if i fail and i have already goneout there, i have to pay for my flight back (somewhere around £300 - £400 - if the worst happens, i would go see british consulate for help with returning - so that potential problem can be overcome)

LOL, have you EVER tried to get help from the British Embassy for anything???

soukie Jul 7th 2010 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by spoilt1033 (Post 8682035)

Will you be resident in Kuwait - if so you need medical tests and a police certificate as part of the process and currently all this has to be done in your own Country so can slow the process down considerably especially as some of the blood tests required for Kuwait residence are unusual.

spoilt1033 Jul 7th 2010 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by soukie (Post 8683764)
Will you be resident in Kuwait - if so you need medical tests and a police certificate as part of the process and currently all this has to be done in your own Country so can slow the process down considerably especially as some of the blood tests required for Kuwait residence are unusual.

All the above is being sorted out by the Employer, Accommodation already Setup,Will get Police Check Results Thursday/Friday (Sent of for Police Check myself about 6 Months ago and Passed it, Already passed onto Employer, so dont see any Problems with Check), As for Medical Side, Vaccination Boosters for Polio and Tetnus are still in date (10 Years - had Boosters in 2001)
:thumbsup:

Still Looking Good, Flying Thursday Evening or Friday Morning.

(4 Hour Train Journey followed by Around 12Hour Flight - 2 Flights with Stop-over)

Gonna be a Long Day, Taking plenty of reading material, Drinks etc

spoilt1033 Jul 7th 2010 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by soukie (Post 8683764)

See thread Reply Below yours

Davey83 Jul 7th 2010 3:34 pm

Hi
I'd been offered a flight this evening but was unable to be ready for it, family affairs to sort before i left, (currently employed) so have been told to phone back in a week or so to see if they are still needing anybody.
Many thanks for you reply.

spoilt1033 Jul 7th 2010 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Davey83 (Post 8684045)
Hi
I'd been offered a flight this evening but was unable to be ready for it, family affairs to sort before i left, (currently employed) so have been told to phone back in a week or so to see if they are still needing anybody.
Many thanks for you reply.

Hi, i was told that next availability of job would be in a years time if i didnt take the flight tomorrow.

ps: reason for weeks time will be if any driver has failed security check!! should have results by next week.

soukie Jul 7th 2010 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by spoilt1033 (Post 8683795)
All the above is being sorted out by the Employer, Accommodation already Setup,Will get Police Check Results Thursday/Friday (Sent of for Police Check myself about 6 Months ago and Passed it, Already passed onto Employer, so dont see any Problems with Check), As for Medical Side, Vaccination Boosters for Polio and Tetnus are still in date (10 Years - had Boosters in 2001)
:thumbsup:

Still Looking Good, Flying Thursday Evening or Friday Morning.

(4 Hour Train Journey followed by Around 12Hour Flight - 2 Flights with Stop-over)

Gonna be a Long Day, Taking plenty of reading material, Drinks etc

Sorry but the medical side is a lot more complicated than vaccination boosters if you are applying for a residence visa. I suggest that you contact the Kuwait Embassy in London and get further information or speak to your Company again. There are about 5 tests that need to be done and some are very unusual ones - not the normal HIV one that most Gulf Countries do. Kuwait changed their visa procedures last year so that all the tests need to be done in the person's home Country. Also the Police Clearance need to be authenticated by the Foreign Office at Milton Keynes and stamped by the Kuwaiti Embassy in London. The date of the police check needs to be after the work visa too and this catches a lot of people out. Maybe your Company will brief you on all this but I thought it best to warn you - nothing is straightforward in Arabia!!

spoilt1033 Jul 7th 2010 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by soukie (Post 8684415)
Sorry but the medical side is a lot more complicated than vaccination boosters if you are applying for a residence visa. I suggest that you contact the Kuwait Embassy in London and get further information or speak to your Company again. There are about 5 tests that need to be done and some are very unusual ones - not the normal HIV one that most Gulf Countries do. Kuwait changed their visa procedures last year so that all the tests need to be done in the person's home Country. Also the Police Clearance need to be authenticated by the Foreign Office at Milton Keynes and stamped by the Kuwaiti Embassy in London. The date of the police check needs to be after the work visa too and this catches a lot of people out. Maybe your Company will brief you on all this but I thought it best to warn you - nothing is straightforward in Arabia!!

Working for US Military, Been told by Employer that Accommodation is already sorted out (ie we will be sleeping in it once we have landed on friday), Contract is to end of Year/Next Year.

Told that we likely to be having a medical at the US Base once we are there as part of security check. Also told all Vaccinations etc will be dealt with then.

Will have to wait and see what happens next when i arrive there on Friday. Could be as you say, but no point speculating untill i arrive and am told.

Cheers for Heads up tho.:thumbsup:

Davey83 Jul 7th 2010 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by spoilt1033 (Post 8684489)
Working for US Military, Been told by Employer that Accommodation is already sorted out (ie we will be sleeping in it once we have landed on friday), Contract is to end of Year/Next Year.

Told that we likely to be having a medical at the US Base once we are there as part of security check. Also told all Vaccinations etc will be dealt with then.

Will have to wait and see what happens next when i arrive there on Friday. Could be as you say, but no point speculating untill i arrive and am told.

Thanks for that mate, you see I haven't be told that much.
If possible would you mind updating this thread (obviously depending on internet access), as I'm still quite scepticle.

Thanks

soukie Jul 7th 2010 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by spoilt1033 (Post 8684489)

It may be different if you are working for the US Military - I am talking about the normal procedure for Companies. I hope that it all works out well and it would be useful if you could update the thread when you know what's happening. Good luck and safe journey!:)