Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Lost out on job because I use a flip phone

Lost out on job because I use a flip phone

Old Sep 27th 2012, 5:40 am
Banned

K Gun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lost out on job because I use a flip phone

After what I thought was a fantastic interview I soon learned that I didn't get the job and when I inquired as to why I was told it was because I didn't have a smart phone. I feel i'm being discriminated against and have retained legal counsel. Has this happened to anyone else?
Old Sep 27th 2012, 5:48 am
Off Topic

northbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nice
Default Re: Lost out on job because I use a flip phone

Originally Posted by K Gun
I didn't get the job ... because I didn't have a smart phone.
He has no security, no driver, no mobile, no computer on his desk...
http://www.squidoo.com/teachings-of-warren-buffett
Old Sep 27th 2012, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

Britmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really nice

The cheapskates should have provided you with one if it's needed for work.

Sounds like an excuse and a brush-off to me...
Old Sep 27th 2012, 8:32 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

After what I thought was a fantastic interview I soon learned that I didn't get the job and when I inquired as to why I was told it was because I didn't have a smart phone. I feel i'm being discriminated against and have retained legal counsel. Has this happened to anyone else?
On what basis do you feel you're being discriminated against?
Old Sep 27th 2012, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

It's probably not the fact that you use a flip phone....rather that you choose to keep it in a leather-ette holster attached to your belt

Big no-no amigo
Old Sep 27th 2012, 10:59 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

And was the flip with you when you used it? I'd have hired you on the spot if you'd brought your GF with you to hold your phone for you.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 11:02 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe he was interviewing for Samsung and they didn't appreciate his Motorola Razr.

Update us on the court case
Old Sep 27th 2012, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

dubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
And was the flip with you when you used it? I'd have hired you on the spot if you'd brought your GF with you to hold your phone for you.
This is the post of the day
Old Sep 27th 2012, 12:22 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Maybe he was interviewing for Samsung and they didn't appreciate his Motorola Razr.

Update us on the court case
I like this one just a little bit more.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

dubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of light

What have you retained legal counsel to do exactly?
Old Sep 27th 2012, 2:06 pm
Banned

They said I was the leading candidate for the job until I pulled out the old phone. They "thought it odd" that I would be using "old technology"

WTF?
Old Sep 27th 2012, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Wow!
Old Sep 27th 2012, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

I've a sneaky suspicion that this is Mata Haris american friend back for more wind-ups...
Old Sep 27th 2012, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brains1983
I've a sneaky suspicion that this is Mata Haris american friend back for more wind-ups...
Shows all the signs, doesn't it? Perhaps Duelling Banjo's owns a Motorora Dynatac 8000x...

Last edited by OleJanx; Sep 27th 2012 at 6:11 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 4:03 am
Banned

Originally Posted by seven seas
Wow!
Thats exactly what I said....

If I would have had an iPhone 5 or even a Samsung Galaxy III I would have got the job...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.