Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Looking for a Driver in Riyadh

Looking for a Driver in Riyadh

Old May 5th 2015, 11:23 am
Just Joined

spannermonkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for a Driver in Riyadh

Hi Folks,

As everyone appreciates, driving in Riyadh can be viewed as somewhat risky when you consider the outcome of any accident if your an expat and were driving.

My company take a very specific position - i.e. I am not to drive. So I've been tasked with trying to find a reliable and more to the point safe/experienced full time driver.

While Ive now got a few names, none really inspire much in the way of placing my safety in their hands.

So if there is anyone out there who knows of either a company or even an individual they could recommend, I would realllllllllly like to hear from you. Even if its just a number and a name, I can follow up with them.

What I want to avoid is someone who got their license a few weeks ago - spoken to lots of those already.

Many thanks all.
Old May 5th 2015, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for a Driver in Riyadh

If you find a trustworthy and reliable TAXI driver why not go that route. When I lived in Riyadh I hated it and managed to get a move to Jeddah. We loved it there.
Good luck mate.
Old May 5th 2015, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Major, but this is a contractual issue and a taxi driver is not acceptable from that perspective.
Old May 5th 2015, 1:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

There will be pressure to hire a Saudi. You may have to play games and pretend that he is not really a "driver" but a "technical adviser".
Old May 6th 2015, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

What sort of Employer refuses to allow their own Employees to drive? I lived and worked in Saudi for 8 years and drove without a single blemish.
Old May 6th 2015, 11:25 am
Just Joined

I appreciate that, but its something a lot of companies now try to do.
Old May 10th 2015, 8:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

In Pre-history when I first went t6o Saudi (1970) foreigners were discouraged from driving. In those days "Driver" was an occupation restricted to Saudi nationals. It meant that the authorities could also keep tabs on what those dodgy foreign infidels were up to.

Then sometime during the oil boom, "Driver" became a job for Asians. Now there is an attempt to Saudi--se that job category again.
Old May 22nd 2015, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

Gobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
In Pre-history when I first went t6o Saudi (1970) foreigners were discouraged from driving. In those days "Driver" was an occupation restricted to Saudi nationals. It meant that the authorities could also keep tabs on what those dodgy foreign infidels were up to.

Then sometime during the oil boom, "Driver" became a job for Asians. Now there is an attempt to Saudi--se that job category again.
That makes a lot of sense. It's predicted there'll be 10 million unemployed young Saudis in the near future, making many of them taxi drivers - and deporting the existing ones - wouldn't be beyond the realms of the average young Saudi man.
Old May 27th 2015, 5:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

If the resulting driver commits acts which put your life in danger, I think you've a right to demand another driver for your personal safety.

You'll be going through one a week!