British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   ME Job Discussions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/)
-   -   Living and working in Kuwait...a view from within (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/living-working-kuwait-view-within-677181/)

zoukla Jul 18th 2010 4:04 pm

Living and working in Kuwait...a view from within

Any top tips i can pass on to a friend (Male single-status)considering a posting from UAE to Kuwait

Guidance on:-
-country stability,salary,accom,flights,living there and anything else you feel is required going into to this country.
Ta:thumbsup:

JimandBettina Mar 31st 2011 6:24 am

Re: Living and working in Kuwait...a view from within

Hi,

I livae and work in Kuwait.

To answer your questions:

Country: Very small. One major City - Kuwait City. Overpopulated. Two tier society (rich Kuwaitis/ everyone else). Family based autocracy with a powerless token parliament. Immigrant workers everywhere (Bangla, Indian, Filipino etc)

Society: Spoiled brat rich Kuwaitis flount all rules and live by 'Wasta' - influence, not a meritocracy. Women respected but second class citizens. Western women do not have to wear abaya and can drive. Immigrants treated badly.

Traffic: Awful. Worst in the ME. Abovementioned Kiwaiti brats drive fast cars on hard shoulder, weaving in and out and tailgate. Women seem to be constantly on mobile phones and never look around them for fear of eye contact with males. The worlds worst death rate on the roads.

Social: Exclusively based around friends, shopping malls and sports clubs. There is no alcohol and no pubs or bars, ie no meeting places for young people. Fraternization between young male/ females strictly illegal. Ou can get arrested for doing so.

That'll do for now.

J

nottmbantam Mar 31st 2011 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by JimandBettina (Post 9276020)
Hi,

I livae and work in Kuwait.

To answer your questions:

Country: Very small. One major City - Kuwait City. Overpopulated. Two tier society (rich Kuwaitis/ everyone else). Family based autocracy with a powerless token parliament. Immigrant workers everywhere (Bangla, Indian, Filipino etc)

Society: Spoiled brat rich Kuwaitis flount all rules and live by 'Wasta' - influence, not a meritocracy. Women respected but second class citizens. Western women do not have to wear abaya and can drive. Immigrants treated badly.

Traffic: Awful. Worst in the ME. Abovementioned Kiwaiti brats drive fast cars on hard shoulder, weaving in and out and tailgate. Women seem to be constantly on mobile phones and never look around them for fear of eye contact with males. The worlds worst death rate on the roads.

Social: Exclusively based around friends, shopping malls and sports clubs. There is no alcohol and no pubs or bars, ie no meeting places for young people. Fraternization between young male/ females strictly illegal. Ou can get arrested for doing so.

That'll do for now.

J

So what are the bad points? ;)

Driving - surely it can't be worse than Saudi?

Paracletus Apr 1st 2011 12:25 am

Originally Posted by nottmbantam (Post 9277303)
So what are the bad points? ;)

Driving - surely it can't be worse than Saudi?

I guess most African countries can't compete as they don't have fast cars in sub-saharan africa. Well, there was 1 ferrari in Maputo back in the day, but it got stolen. Most brake pedals are sandals. Very comforting going down hills and spotting a lorry in the rear view mirror.