Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Light at the end of the tunnel or just recruitment bovine material

Light at the end of the tunnel or just recruitment bovine material

Old Dec 8th 2009, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

DeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to all
Default Light at the end of the tunnel or just recruitment bovine material

Well i am still actively looking for work over in Dubai.

Yes i could come over and try to find work whilst in the region.. but i just thought i'd see whats out there.

Spoke to a recruitment bod at a large international firm. They were telling me that jobs were very thin earlier this year and any openings were filled by talent still in the UAE, so no real call for bringing in external expats.

They went on to say that work is now picking up and that they had vacancies that need to be filled, but the surplus talent has now left so firms were now looking abroad.

So i take from that that there will be more vacancies in the new year ( they said that recruiting will start up in early jan as most of the recruitment agents were back home for christmas).

So anyway.. thing might be looking up.. or i just got "fertilized"!
Old Dec 8th 2009, 9:35 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Light at the end of the tunnel or just recruitment bovine material

Originally Posted by DeepSix

Yes i could come over and try to find work whilst in the region.. but i just thought i'd see whats out there.

Spoke to a recruitment bod at a large international firm. They were telling me that jobs were very thin earlier this year and any openings were filled by talent still in the UAE, so no real call for bringing in external expats.

They went on to say that work is now picking up and that they had vacancies that need to be filled, but the surplus talent has now left so firms were now looking abroad.

So i take from that that there will be more vacancies in the new year ( they said that recruiting will start up in early jan as most of the recruitment agents were back home for christmas).

The latter, probably....

With whats been happening with the Dubai PR machine over the last few weeks, any green shoots of growth have probably been well and truly trampled to death...

But, you can always wait for our resident recruitment expert, sg800, who will no doubt paint you a rosy picture that even Rolf Harris would be scratching his head at the end of it, wondering what the hell its supposed to be...!!
Old Dec 9th 2009, 1:33 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
But, you can always wait for our resident recruitment expert, sg800, who will no doubt paint you a rosy picture that even Rolf Harris would be scratching his head at the end of it, wondering what the hell its supposed to be...!!
oh, that's not fair!

In all honesty, I think Mystic Meg could make credible predictions about the job market here - Mr Kitty had no problems finding a new job but there are still lots of redundancies going on...

I think there'll be a good amount of talent already in the gulf looking for work in the gulf for a while yet - probably moving from Dubai-based projects to AD based projects. Companies will have the pick of the crop, but as always, if you are exceptional at what you do, then there'll be a place for your somewhere.

Up to you to decide if you are indeed exceptional...
Old Dec 9th 2009, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

DeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to all

well i know i am exceptional.!

its just trying to convince other people of that

well i shall go on.. browsing from afar.. and wait for the surge of jobs that are supposedly building up..
Old Dec 10th 2009, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

sg800 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
The latter, probably....

With whats been happening with the Dubai PR machine over the last few weeks, any green shoots of growth have probably been well and truly trampled to death...

mate, I really do not understand your logic - why would I possibly have any reason for making out the market is different to what it is? I genuinely see no way in which I could benefit from this, profit from this, help others by doing this etc. I do not quite understand why you feel this is the case but I guess we are all entitled to our opinions. Funny how the other consultant at the international recruitment company shared the same view as me though hey. Bizzare
Old Dec 10th 2009, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

sg800 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by DeepSix

Hi Deepsix

My view (given I have no idea what you do so my advice is impartial, do what you want with it to be honest, it doesnt affect me either way) I have been saying much the same thing to candidates of late.

At one point there were loads of excellent expats sat around jobless willing to take 40% less than they were on before, people with GCC experience etc. This is not the case anymore. It is becoming increasingly difficult for me to find candidates that fit my clients requirements.

As I have said before this is only applicable to certain fields, for other fields it may become applicable next year, for other fields it may never ever become applicable again.

In the last week I have had clients interview 3 non UAE based candidates for roles that 6 months ago I would have hardly had to lift a finger to find a perfect UAE based immediately available candidate for. 2 candidates they have spoken to are in the UK, 1 in Aus and only one of the 3 had previous GCC experience. These were specific roles, it doesnt mean it is going to be the same for an architect, IT manager or petrol pump attendant, but it is how it is in my market.

I hope this trend continues across other sectors and continues to gather pace, I cant promise it will noone can but this is just my personal experience of what is happening from the viewpoint of someone who gets paid by clients to find them candidates. I would also add the process is painfully slow at present, sign off is not easy to come by and clients are interviewing a lot of candidates a lot of time before coming to any closure.

Hope this helps.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

Hi sg800,
I have only been looking for a little while and the volume of jobs being advertised in my area ( environmental.. EIA EMS etc) is increasing.

It sort of makes sense that if there was a glut of talent in previous years.. that this will have been paired down to essential staff, what with the downturn and all.
it also makes sense that with the cost of living, visa requirement etc for the UAE.. people aren't going to be sitting around for a long time waiting for new employ.. they are probably going to go elsewhere.

So the outlook would seem to be sunnier than previous..
i do however recognisee that the recent failure to honour debts may have shoved a rather large variable back into the market.. which changes the straight forward supply and demand cycle somewhat.. i say that as working in consultancy is somewhat pre disposed to getting paid by your clients!

so hence my query as to whether i was being "fertilized".. or shall we say being spun in a more optimistic manner.

I am still looking and still researching the jobs that come up..and seem to spend far to much time on here vicariously living my life through a load of strangers in the UAE ( it doesnt make me a bad person does it.. ha..no my silly love of the Toon covers that!)

anyway.. thanks for everyone's insight be it optimistic or less so

I personally dont think that my sort of work is going to go away.. i am fortunate to have a large proportion of my work in compliance.. so even in a downturn people have to keep up with their mandated compliance conditions.

cheers
Deepsix
Old Dec 10th 2009, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

roosterbooster is an unknown quantity at this point

sg800 - i am have been thinking for a while about moving to Dubai for a few years to work. Have been there a couple of times on vacation.

I am part qualfied CIMA (Management Accoutant) - do you have any insight into the job market at this level, and for when i am fully qualifed MAy next year (fingers crossed)

Is there a big demand in the financial sector at the moment.

thanks in advance