Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

KSA, Saudi Arabia Work Visa with ACRO No Live Trace

KSA, Saudi Arabia Work Visa with ACRO No Live Trace

Old Jul 16th 2020, 11:56 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: KSA, Saudi Arabia Work Visa with ACRO No Live Trace

Originally Posted by WaitingForGodot View Post
Hi Millhouse,

Many thanks, truly, for both your additional clarification of scot47’s suggestion, as well as your thoughts on the best course of action.

I must admit, I had (pretty much) arrived at the same conclusion myself, but always helps to hear it echoed from others when weighing up difficult decisions...

Just leaves me mulling over: ‘full disclosure with my prospective employer vs. hit and hope with the Embassy’ now I guess?!

Cheers.
Don't disclose it to the employer now, there's no upside to that. If you tell them there's only a yes or no but the final decision is still with the visa people. So their answer is irrelevant.
Old Jul 16th 2020, 11:57 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse View Post
If I were you, it seems that the risks to the downside (i.e. you don't get a visa) are well known, capped and easily priced (i.e 700 quid). The upside is significantly higher. I'd take my chance... but hey, I like to gamble.
Good risk pricing analysis there Millhouse, move to the top of the class.
Old Jul 16th 2020, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

WaitingForGodot is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by weasel decentral View Post
Don't disclose it to the employer now, there's no upside to that. If you tell them there's only a yes or no but the final decision is still with the visa people. So their answer is irrelevant.
Thanks for that astute assessment weasel decentral, it certainly makes a strong (and hard to refute) case for that course of action frankly.

I was pondering possible disclosure to the employer on 2 counts, the age old: ‘honesty is the best policy,’ and I’ve also read a fair amount of comments saying that if the employer/Saudi sponsor has any significant ‘wasta’ (influence) and may intervene, the likelihood of a positive outcome is substantially upped (although my Visa Agent doesn’t seem to think so).

Definitely a puzzler...never thought my one and only farcical scrape with the ‘long arm of the law’ in my terrible teens would wreak such havoc knocking on 20 years after the fact!
Old Jul 16th 2020, 7:04 pm
Millhouse is not a meme

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WaitingForGodot View Post
Thanks for that astute assessment weasel decentral, it certainly makes a strong (and hard to refute) case for that course of action frankly.

I was pondering possible disclosure to the employer on 2 counts, the age old: ‘honesty is the best policy,’ and I’ve also read a fair amount of comments saying that if the employer/Saudi sponsor has any significant ‘wasta’ (influence) and may intervene, the likelihood of a positive outcome is substantially upped (although my Visa Agent doesn’t seem to think so).

Definitely a puzzler...never thought my one and only farcical scrape with the ‘long arm of the law’ in my terrible teens would wreak such havoc knocking on 20 years after the fact!
don’t rely on watsa unless it is you that has it. These guys will only cash those cheques for themselves.
Old Jul 16th 2020, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

don’t rely on watsa unless it is you that has it. These guys will only cash those cheques for themselves.
Duly noted Millhouse, thanks. I’m actually not incredibly au fait with the Middle East, and most of my experience comes from a few extended trips and no residencies as of yet, so could say it’s in at the deep end with KSA...if, and a very big IF of course, I even get there.
Old Jul 17th 2020, 3:23 am
Knee deep and rising

Exactly this, unless you are a very senior person or you have some other connection outside the employment opportunity nobody will go to bat for you on those grounds.
Old Jul 22nd 2020, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by weasel decentral View Post
Exactly this, unless you are a very senior person or you have some other connection outside the employment opportunity nobody will go to bat for you on those grounds.
Thanks again weasel decentral and Millhouse for the additional advice and (I’m guessing?) firsthand experiences of the machinations of living and working in KSA...

Appears the only option I’ve got left is to ‘submit it and see,’ so let’s see what the verdict is when the Embassy reopens...

I have, as severely palpably unfortunate and unpleasant it will be, resigned myself to the likelihood of a positive outcome probably being majorly in the minority, so I suppose at least I’ll be pleasantly surprised if I get one.
Old Jul 27th 2020, 1:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The other thing to learn from this thread is that Saudi Arabia (and other GCC States) is not a "rule-based society". There are rules and there are laws, but other factors come into play. You will have to wait and see. Having a friend in ruling circles can help, but not if he is out of favour with Number One.
Old Jul 29th 2020, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

Well scot47, given the nature of my still ‘prospective’ employer in the Kingdom, I’d like to say I’m fairly certain they would be in favour with Number One, however...I’m really not too overtly assured that I represent an indispensably business-critical brilliant hire that will see the company dissolve into chaos without me and/or ensure anyone at the top of the food chain would go into bat to ensure my acquisition...sadly!
Old Aug 1st 2020, 11:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

It is also worth remembering that the Saudis do not need you. You are dispensable. They can get rid of you and hire a replacement. Your wants and needs will not figure highly in their list of priorities.