British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   ME Job Discussions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/)
-   -   KSA Job Offer (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/ksa-job-offer-933169/)

HB89 Oct 6th 2020 1:50 pm

Re: KSA Job Offer
 

Originally Posted by Trailing_Hubby (Post 12919136)
Not proper off road, but we’ve been down a dirt track basically to the beach near the camp where the wife is. Two trips and only one puncture so far :rofl: Some of the guys have been out into the desert proper and gone camping. Hoping to get away without buying a car and just renting when we need it.

I got my eye on the Infiniti QX60 4WD. Around 40k-50k GBP when converted. Hopefully get a bit knocked off in the sales :)

scot47 Oct 6th 2020 7:38 pm

Re: KSA Job Offer
 
I saw many expats in KSA develop obsessions with big cars that they could not afford to run out of Kingdom. The "Mutawwamobile" was a great favourite. ie GMC "Jimmie"

This vehicle was much favoured by members of The Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and Suppression of Vice. (ie The Religious Police) Just a reminder that KSA is not California !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevro...r_Cheyenne.jpg

fth Oct 7th 2020 11:51 am

Re: KSA Job Offer
 

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12919426)
I saw many expats in KSA develop obsessions with big cars that they could not afford to run out of Kingdom. The "Mutawwamobile" was a great favourite. ie GMC "Jimmie"

This vehicle was much favoured by members of The Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and Suppression of Vice. (ie The Religious Police) Just a reminder that KSA is not California !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevro...r_Cheyenne.jpg

Yeah - Imagine as an 8 year old going from moving from the back seat of a GMC Jimmy to a VW Scirocco's

HB89 Oct 7th 2020 1:01 pm

Re: KSA Job Offer
 

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12919426)
I saw many expats in KSA develop obsessions with big cars that they could not afford to run out of Kingdom. The "Mutawwamobile" was a great favourite. ie GMC "Jimmie"

This vehicle was much favoured by members of The Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and Suppression of Vice. (ie The Religious Police) Just a reminder that KSA is not California !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevro...r_Cheyenne.jpg

Do you think I will be ok with this car?
https://media.ed.edmunds-media.com/i..._oem_3_815.jpg

nonthaburi Oct 7th 2020 9:35 pm

Re: KSA Job Offer
 

Originally Posted by HB89 (Post 12919652)
Do you think I will be ok with this car?
https://media.ed.edmunds-media.com/i..._oem_3_815.jpg

As long as the aircon works I'm sure you'll be fine.

On a serious note, don't be getting carried away too soon. They're may be many factors that make your life in Saudi unbearable. You may not want to stay. I would put off making any major purchases until you're six months to a year in.

Just get a rental for a while until you get a feel for the place. An adequate Toyota or Hyundai etc will set you back around 2000 pm.

Something else to think about. Although driving standards have improved the past couple of years they're still terrible compared to the UK. I'd be wary driving anything of value around. Having the use of a car is great, as is not owning one personally.


scot47 Oct 8th 2020 6:40 am

Re: KSA Job Offer
 
In my 17 years in KSA I drove for a few months. For me driving was too stressful and too dangerous. I arranged my life in such a way that did not need a car. However I can see that the OP is a petrolhead whose main reason for going seems to be that he can have a BIG car. I met many like him in the Kingdom. Different strokes for different folks !

HB89 Oct 8th 2020 7:59 am

Re: KSA Job Offer
 

Originally Posted by nonthaburi (Post 12919804)
As long as the aircon works I'm sure you'll be fine.

On a serious note, don't be getting carried away too soon. They're may be many factors that make your life in Saudi unbearable. You may not want to stay. I would put off making any major purchases until you're six months to a year in.

Just get a rental for a while until you get a feel for the place. An adequate Toyota or Hyundai etc will set you back around 2000 pm.

Something else to think about. Although driving standards have improved the past couple of years they're still terrible compared to the UK. I'd be wary driving anything of value around. Having the use of a car is great, as is not owning one personally.


I think that is sound advice. I would hate that situation but you are right. It's such an unknown and anything is possible

HB89 Oct 8th 2020 8:05 am

Re: KSA Job Offer
 

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12919891)
In my 17 years in KSA I drove for a few months. For me driving was too stressful and too dangerous. I arranged my life in such a way that did not need a car. However I can see that the OP is a petrolhead whose main reason for going seems to be that he can have a BIG car. I met many like him in the Kingdom. Different strokes for different folks !

I can see how you got to that conclusion but you are quite wrong. I'm going because I am fascinated by the opportunity to prove myself at very senior level in a company, especially at my age, could indeed excel my career years early! Also, the financial opportunity to support my family back in the UK is a big enough reason in itself. What you don't know is that after suffering cancer and much more we lost our father and have spent nearly two decades on the welfare system. I'm one of 8 kids and our parents instilled the importance of education and hardwork.

So if I want to buy a nice car or two (wife and I) that I can comfortably afford then why not? It's sound advice to wait and not rush into it, which I will definitely heed. Rental to start and lets see where we are in Q2/Q3 2021.

Finally, just so you know, my first act when I get enough money is to buy my mum a nice car here in the UK. She's had a lot of bad luck with cars so I want to get her something really special.

HB89 Nov 6th 2020 9:55 am

Re: KSA Job Offer
 

Originally Posted by Trailing_Hubby (Post 12919136)
Not proper off road, but we’ve been down a dirt track basically to the beach near the camp where the wife is. Two trips and only one puncture so far :rofl: Some of the guys have been out into the desert proper and gone camping. Hoping to get away without buying a car and just renting when we need it.

Hey, how are things out there? Did you decide on where to stay long term?
I've been waiting on the Saudi Cultural Attache in the UK to attest my degree for over 3 weeks. No reply, no one picks up the phone or emails. Just a waiting game.

Trailing_Hubby Nov 6th 2020 11:21 am

Re: KSA Job Offer
 
Hi. I’m in Al Nakhla. Facilities are good and it’s useful to be right next door to a big supermarket. Had a visit to Arizona - the layout of the villa is probably better than here for families and great if you like golf, but I’m fine with where we are for now.

It’s all good. Temperature is nice and we are off to Dubai next week. We are waiting to get a cabin in the wife’s camp which is where we’ll be for the long term, but not sure when that will be yet. Certainly more people around although they seem to be people returning rather than new ones, but I’m not sure what the visa situation is right now.

HB89 Nov 6th 2020 6:27 pm

Re: KSA Job Offer
 

Originally Posted by Trailing_Hubby (Post 12931681)
Hi. I’m in Al Nakhla. Facilities are good and it’s useful to be right next door to a big supermarket. Had a visit to Arizona - the layout of the villa is probably better than here for families and great if you like golf, but I’m fine with where we are for now.

It’s all good. Temperature is nice and we are off to Dubai next week. We are waiting to get a cabin in the wife’s camp which is where we’ll be for the long term, but not sure when that will be yet. Certainly more people around although they seem to be people returning rather than new ones, but I’m not sure what the visa situation is right now.

Sounds like you're having a nice time - happy to hear it.
I'm on the final stretch, just need UKSACB to attest the degree then it's medical and stamp and I fly. Interestingly, all this waiting around has meant another major player in the market got in touch about an even more senior role... Looks like the insurance industry is on a path of fast growth! Might see more UK based insurers lured out there.

Trailing_Hubby Nov 6th 2020 9:02 pm

Re: KSA Job Offer
 
Hope they get it sorted soon!

HB89 Nov 29th 2020 12:40 pm

Re: KSA Job Offer
 
Good News!

I finally have my visa! Am due to fly on the 14th of December. Not long left now.

Lots to get ready. Anyone know much about the quarantine rules? And, how long it takes to get an Iqama right now?

Trailing_Hubby Nov 29th 2020 8:43 pm

Re: KSA Job Offer
 
Two days quarantine, then after a negative test you are good to go. You’ll need a PCR test to fly too.

The wife should get her Iqama next week, but it’s a bit random. Some people she knows have been waiting months, although I’m not sure if that is an internal thing.

larryson Nov 30th 2020 12:23 am

Re: KSA Job Offer
 

Originally Posted by HB89 (Post 12940984)
Good News!

I finally have my visa! Am due to fly on the 14th of December. Not long left now.

Lots to get ready. Anyone know much about the quarantine rules? And, how long it takes to get an Iqama right now?

Hi, do you mind sharing the process on getting the visa from getting the job offer? What happens after?


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:47 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.