British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   ME Job Discussions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/)
-   -   KSA Job Offer (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/ksa-job-offer-933169/)

HB89 Jun 12th 2020 7:06 pm

KSA Job Offer

Hi,

I've been offered a Head of' role by Tawuniyain Riyadh for £158k (includes base, accommodation and travel). I will be moving over with my wife and child (20 months) and I want to plan my spend as best possible so as to maximise enjoying the new adventure but also maximising my money.

I want to live in a really nice western compound, afford a decent safe car, save for holidays, able to help family in the UK and save for future financial security. I am not fussed about wearing/owning bling or eating out all the time. We enjoy cooking.

In addition to the above the company are offering:
- Tuition for up to 3 children
- 1 x Family Return Ticket UK-KSA
- Insurance discounts
- Bonus of up to £35k.

Is the offer reasonable for the industry and role? Anyone know what it's like to work there? Is it enough to live the above lifestyle requirements?

With regards to maximising wealth; I want to make my money grow/work. How best do you suggest I do this? I have seen SAAB Premier Accounts and Wealth management. Any contact/links for financial advice?

Many thanks
HB89

nonthaburi Jun 13th 2020 7:28 am

Re: KSA Job Offer

Just on the numbers, that's about 13k gbp a month, or around 65k SAR.
Accommodation may set you back 20-30k for a 3 bedroom villa depending on what you call nice. Call it 25 and you're left with 40.
Living cost maybe another 10 k and you're left with 30.
Minus the car. I'd suggest just renting something the first six months. You might hate the role or the place.
In fac , I'd suggest coming out on your own first for six months. Get yourself sorted, decide if you like it, then start building the nest.

Of course there's loads of room to play with on the figures. 2 bedroom apartment rather than a villa etc etc. Only you know what your saving target is , and whether it's worth it.

nonthaburi Jun 13th 2020 7:30 am

Oh yeah , personally I'd stay away from SABB. Found them terrible in the past.

HB89 Jun 14th 2020 10:12 am

Saving 30k SAR is a good amount by expat standards or am I wasting an opportunity?

From accommodation my wife and I like Al Nakhla. Seems on paper a good compound, agree? Are there similar ones?

HB89 Jun 14th 2020 10:14 am

Originally Posted by nonthaburi (Post 12866067)
Oh yeah , personally I'd stay away from SABB. Found them terrible in the past.

Who do you suggest? I've banked with Barclays but they don't seem to have a presence there. HSBC and SABB are linked so i've opened a HSBC Advanced account here in the UK and will start using them more. Aim is to have an existing relationship prior to moving. If they are no good who do recommend? Whomever I go with I will choose the premier service.

Trailing_Hubby Jun 14th 2020 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by HB89 (Post 12866735)
From accommodation my wife and I like Al Nakhla. Seems on paper a good compound, agree? Are there similar ones?

We are in a similar boat and should be out in a couple of months. We'll be in Al Nakhla to start with, and it does look nice. Al Bustan was the other one I saw that was along the same kind of lines.

omega7 Jun 14th 2020 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by HB89 (Post 12866735)
Saving 30k SAR is a good amount by expat standards or am I wasting an opportunity?

Well to be able to offer more insight, one would need to compare it with how much 1) you make now and 2) how much of that you save now?

HB89 Jun 15th 2020 10:35 am

Originally Posted by omega7 (Post 12866910)
Well to be able to offer more insight, one would need to compare it with how much 1) you make now and 2) how much of that you save now?

Compared to what I am on now it's a huge pay rise and in terms of savings, consider current savings non-existent. Compared to my current situation it's a great position to be in. My question is by rule of thumb am I saving what you would expect an expat in my position to be saving, am I wasting an opportunity to save more, or comparatively it's a reasonable amount?

HB89 Jun 15th 2020 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Trailing_Hubby (Post 12866836)
We are in a similar boat and should be out in a couple of months. We'll be in Al Nakhla to start with, and it does look nice. Al Bustan was the other one I saw that was along the same kind of lines.

Late-July/August is when I am expecting to fly out. Hopefully see you out there.

Trailing_Hubby Jun 15th 2020 10:58 am

Originally Posted by HB89 (Post 12867148)
Late-July/August is when I am expecting to fly out. Hopefully see you out there.

:thumbsup:

In terms of saving, I guess it's all about balance and it's probably no good comparing with other people. There'll be those who are out there to save every penny and don't go out anywhere, and others who will be flying off somewhere every weekend making the most of the salary. £30k SAR is a decent chunk a month to be saving I would say.

wonderer123 Jun 15th 2020 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by HB89 (Post 12867148)

Good luck with the move, we are in a similar situation, though no guarantee that international flights will open up by July/August.

Trailing_Hubby Jun 15th 2020 5:52 pm

If we don't get a commercial flight there'll be a chartered one as I understand it.

HB89 Jun 18th 2020 2:44 pm

Out of interest have you got your via yet? I have submitted my Fit and Proper from to the company who have signed their bit and submitted to SAMA. It's been well over two weeks we've heard nothing back and the recruiter now thinks we should be considering Sep20 as a more realistic start date especially since we then need to apply for the Visa application after this step.

Would just love a date to work towards. The wait is bad, the not knowing is the worst.

Trailing_Hubby Jun 18th 2020 3:22 pm

It's the wife's job, but not yet I think. Although they did want her to fly out last week, so it might all be fine.

HB89 Jun 18th 2020 4:06 pm

So she has her Visa? Do you mind telling me what field she is working in? My wife is looking to work once we are out there (to maintain her own career and manage boredom). Just curious to know what other fields/industries expats work in (aside from teaching and oil/engineering).

Trailing_Hubby Jun 19th 2020 1:13 pm

Not yet as we are working on an August date, but I get the impression they can move quicker if needed.

She's in IT. Michael Page were the recruiter, and they seem to be confident there should be plenty of roles coming up.

HB89 Jun 19th 2020 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Trailing_Hubby (Post 12869217)
Not yet as we are working on an August date, but I get the impression they can move quicker if needed.

She's in IT. Michael Page were the recruiter, and they seem to be confident there should be plenty of roles coming up.

Thanks, appreciate you sharing.

FriendlyExpat Jun 22nd 2020 9:31 pm

Remember that a decent compound is normally up to about £60k/year for a house or half that for a flat. Al Nakhla, Al Bustan probably best options at present if you want a huge modern compound.

HB89 Jun 23rd 2020 8:06 am

Originally Posted by FriendlyExpat (Post 12870596)
Remember that a decent compound is normally up to about £60k/year for a house or half that for a flat. Al Nakhla, Al Bustan probably best options at present if you want a huge modern compound.

Thanks for the reply. You are spot on. a 3 bedroom house was costing just that when I asked. When my wife asked the price was 20k SAR cheaper. I managed to negotiate down a little but no way near where she started let alone where she ended up. Will wait and see if there are any other expats at my new company that I can leverage for further discounts - don't ask don't get.

Al Bustan, looks good. The reason we have Al Nakhla at the top is it looks full of life and prestine. Whereas Al Bustan looks prestine but a little flat, but by no means off the list. Please feel free to suggest more.

scot47 Jun 23rd 2020 10:26 am

Have you considered what happens after KSA ? In many jobs, a spell in KSA can be the "kiss of death" to further job prospects. Do you have an Exit Strategy ? When I went back to KSA I planned to spemd the rest of my working life there, and in my case that turned out reasonably well. I still miss that nice, tax-free salary. My eldest daughter enjoyed her time at school in Jeddah. My wife enjoyed the shopping in The Souk ("Shara Gabel", "Balad") and in the shopping malls. Saudi still has a lot going for it. And the Gold Souk !

HB89 Jun 23rd 2020 11:06 am

Strictly speaking I have not thought much about an 'Exit Strategy'. I don't know what it's going to be like. The pay rise and promotion will put me well ahead of my years (am 30 years of age) and as long as my career develops and progresses I am happy to stay. I come from humble beginnings so what this opportunity does for me and my family. Not just my wife and child but also my mum and siblings, how I can support them is incredible. I have more motivating me to go and stay than just the sense of adventure.

We have family that has done the Middle East experience. Some have stayed, some came back, but everyone was glad they did it and there lives back here are better for it. There's too many variable to consider a single Exit Strategy so I'm not giving it much air-time.

scot47 Jun 23rd 2020 11:10 am

For some of us, the proximity to Mecca and Medina can be a powerful attrrcation. While living in Jeddah, I had American colleagues who drove up to Mecca most Fridays.

wonderer123 Jun 24th 2020 9:42 am

Now that's interesting for all of those looking for a quick move to KSA...….pandemic end---who can predict that

https://www.khaleejtimes.com/coronav...-pandemic-ends

HB89 Jun 24th 2020 11:54 am

Originally Posted by wonderer123 (Post 12871332)
Now that's interesting for all of those looking for a quick move to KSA...….pandemic end---who can predict that

https://www.khaleejtimes.com/coronav...-pandemic-ends

That's discouraging. I wonder if by end of Pandemic they are referring to the state NZ were in prior to the two UK travellers. Who knows? Guess I will ask the company.

HB89 Jul 8th 2020 10:24 am

https://www.arabnews.com/node/1700341/saudi-arabia

Looks like they've not forgotten expats. I've seen and heard progress on my SAMA application, so there is some traction :)

omega7 Jul 8th 2020 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by HB89 (Post 12867147)
Compared to what I am on now it's a huge pay rise and in terms of savings, consider current savings non-existent. Compared to my current situation it's a great position to be in. My question is by rule of thumb am I saving what you would expect an expat in my position to be saving, am I wasting an opportunity to save more, or comparatively it's a reasonable amount?

Late reply, sorry; given that you are 30, this is an opportunity not to be missed! I am actually surprised that you got such an offer given your age, as Saudis target mainly well-experienced expats. But either way, cograts.

So while the offer could have been higher (e.g. same package but with accommodation extra, plus maybe some allowances), there is no doubt you should take it...and fast :)

Trailing_Hubby Jul 22nd 2020 9:23 am

Originally Posted by HB89 (Post 12878454)
https://www.arabnews.com/node/1700341/saudi-arabia

Looks like they've not forgotten expats. I've seen and heard progress on my SAMA application, so there is some traction :)

Seems like no normal visas are being issued right now. There's a repatriation flight in the middle of August and talk of the Bahrain border being opened at some point, but nothing firm as yet. End of August is a way away I guess, so we may well be fine, but will have to see how it goes.

HB89 Jul 22nd 2020 9:26 am

I am still waiting on SAMA to approve my application as I will be working in Financial Services. It was meant to be a 10 day wait. Coming up to 6 weeks now, still no news.

I can deal with the wait, as long as I know how long the wait is. It's the not-knowing that bothers me. I can't plan my UK life. Nothing I can do either.

Trailing_Hubby Jul 22nd 2020 9:32 am

Yeah - we need to get everything packed up and into storage and that's pretty much a fixed date. Might well be couch surfing from September!!

nonthaburi Jul 22nd 2020 3:36 pm

This from the GACA today.

https://saudigazette.com.sa/article/...l-flights-GACA

I'm expecting that case numbers will have to come down to at least under a thousand a day before things open up. Maybe by September.

wonderer123 Jul 24th 2020 10:14 am

Land routes opened for Saudi citizens, slowly getting there...agree on not having an end date to plan/work towards

https://gulfnews.com/world/gulf/saud....1595468422753

scot47 Jul 26th 2020 9:00 am

Pilgrimage this week may usher in a new wave of Covid-19, even though numbers are restricted this year.

HB89 Aug 17th 2020 7:38 am

My application to work in Financial Services has just been approved by SAMA. Next step waiting for embassy to open and issue visas again. Not all the way there but it's progress!

HB89 Aug 18th 2020 9:51 am

UK to Saudi flights resuming on the 22nd of August.

https://www.arabnews.com/node/1720966/saudi-arabia

wonderer123 Aug 18th 2020 10:12 am

Originally Posted by HB89 (Post 12898356)
UK to Saudi flights resuming on the 22nd of August.

https://www.arabnews.com/node/1720966/saudi-arabia

moving slowly... reads more like one way exit country flights

HB89 Aug 18th 2020 1:02 pm

Gotta get them out before more can come in...being overly optimistic!

Trailing_Hubby Aug 20th 2020 11:55 am

We are flying out a week on Sunday!! Good grief!

scot47 Aug 20th 2020 12:02 pm

Can foreigners fly into KSA now ? i have friends who are teaching staff at saudi unis, many are on summer holiday O.O.K. (Aramco-speak for "Out Of Kingdom !) Can they get back in ?

HB89 Aug 26th 2020 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Trailing_Hubby (Post 12899396)
We are flying out a week on Sunday!! Good grief!

Congratulations! When was the Visa issued? I thought they weren't issuing them just yet?

Trailing_Hubby Aug 26th 2020 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by HB89 (Post 12901978)
Congratulations! When was the Visa issued? I thought they weren't issuing them just yet?

I don’t think they are but we have some kind of special ones. We are out earlier than expected, we thought it would be the middle of September.

We have to have a COVID PCR test done to fly, which was a bit of a stress to find somewhere with availability but we managed to get it sorted.