KSA Job Offer

Old Oct 4th 2020, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Trailing_Hubby will become famous soon enough
Default Re: KSA Job Offer

Watching football on the iPad and it’s half time :-)

We are on a 12 month, 90 day visa at the moment. No medical to get that, but we will need one soon as we transfer over to the Iqama. Just us, no kids. They take their time with the documents - we’ve had to have them sent to Riyadh as they still have them.

SABB have been recommended to us, so we will open one when we can.

One tip I’ve learnt since being here - if your phone can handle it you can get an esim with a Saudi provider. That means you can keep your existing UK sim if you want to hold on to your number and use it when you go back etc. You have a primary and secondary line on the same phone. I’d do this as soon as possible for Uber, maps and stuff.
Old Oct 5th 2020, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

HB89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Trailing_Hubby

We are on a 12 month, 90 day visa at the moment. No medical to get that, but we will need one soon as we transfer over to the Iqama. Just us, no kids. They take their time with the documents - we’ve had to have them sent to Riyadh as they still have them.

One tip I’ve learnt since being here - if your phone can handle it you can get an esim with a Saudi provider. That means you can keep your existing UK sim if you want to hold on to your number and use it when you go back etc. You have a primary and secondary line on the same phone. I’d do this as soon as possible for Uber, maps and stuff.
That's a quality tip, thanks!

Seems a little easier or dare I say simpler process before you got to Saudi. Well hopefully the work upfront means less when we get there too.

Keep us posted on the resort and any pics or details on the quality and size of the rooms will be a great help, but not to worry you've been mighty helpful already.

thanks
Old Oct 5th 2020, 9:38 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know if it was a Saudi who recommended SABB to you, but they tend to tell you what they think you might want to hear. You're British, this is the British bank kind of thing.

For myself and others I know SABB were terrible. For day to day stuff they got done need to go into a branch for they're fine, but when you do have to go into a branch they're terrible. Long waiting times being the worst problem. My record was 3 hours.

I would recommend NCB, or find out who your company banks with, and what relationship if any they have with your bank in the UK.

If you're transferring through an intermediary to the UK its going to cost you more.
Old Oct 5th 2020, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HB89
That's a quality tip, thanks!

Seems a little easier or dare I say simpler process before you got to Saudi. Well hopefully the work upfront means less when we get there too.

Keep us posted on the resort and any pics or details on the quality and size of the rooms will be a great help, but not to worry you've been mighty helpful already.

thanks
Have a look at the Al Nakhla Instagram page, they are better than my pics. I’m in a 2 bed villa at the moment, which is a decent size - 2 living rooms, 2 en-suite, maid’s room etc. The guys who are going to Arizona preferred the layout of the villas there, which are more open plan.

Have a look at Antara. It’s a new one that opened last month so occupancy is low and you might get a deal. Look nice, I was going to visit but it’s easier for me here.

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Don't know if it was a Saudi who recommended SABB to you, but they tend to tell you what they think you might want to hear. You're British, this is the British bank kind of thing.

For myself and others I know SABB were terrible. For day to day stuff they got done need to go into a branch for they're fine, but when you do have to go into a branch they're terrible. Long waiting times being the worst problem. My record was 3 hours.

I would recommend NCB, or find out who your company banks with, and what relationship if any they have with your bank in the UK.

If you're transferring through an intermediary to the UK its going to cost you more.
Not Saudis, Americans who have been out here for a while. They use SABB. The mentioned we’d get a relationship manager? Haven’t looked properly yet as we don’t have the Iqama. I’ll check NCB out though, thanks.
Old Oct 5th 2020, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

Have a look at the Al Nakhla Instagram page, they are better than my pics. I’m in a 2 bed villa at the moment, which is a decent size - 2 living rooms, 2 en-suite, maid’s room etc. The guys who are going to Arizona preferred the layout of the villas there, which are more open plan.

Have a look at Antara. It’s a new one that opened last month so occupancy is low and you might get a deal. Look nice, I was going to visit but it’s easier for me here.

Not Saudis, Americans who have been out here for a while. They use SABB. The mentioned we’d get a relationship manager? Haven’t looked properly yet as we don’t have the Iqama. I’ll check NCB out though, thanks.
I'll look at Antara. I need to make sure I can get to work easily. And I've heard that the Al hamra campus of the Biritish International School is full and so they've opened a new campus at the Democratic Quarters. Anything you hear on this will help me.

Also, found out today that as I will be working with a Private company I have to fly out first, get an iqama and then fly them out... more pain!
Old Oct 5th 2020, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Ah, that is painful... Hopefully flights will have opened up a bit now. Some of the guys in the group we came out with had to fly from places like Japan and Georgia to Heathrow then out to Riyadh as it was the only route available.

I don’t know much about schools, other than that I’ve been told that the BIS has recently improved in quality and is now better than the American one. Anecdotal, but may be why they are expanding. Antara is near the Diplomatic Quarter. Traffic is certainly interesting... My wife spoke to someone who moved from Arizona because the journey to school and then the office was not good, but some people have drivers specifically for that.

Sorry, I don’t have much info re kids and stuff as it’s just the two of us.
Old Oct 5th 2020, 2:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Banking - use the same bank as your employer
Old Oct 5th 2020, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scot47
Banking - use the same bank as your employer
Would that be preferable if you want or need to send money back to the UK? Need to pay mortgage, other bills/loans etc...
Old Oct 5th 2020, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Ah, that is painful... Hopefully flights will have opened up a bit now. Some of the guys in the group we came out with had to fly from places like Japan and Georgia to Heathrow then out to Riyadh as it was the only route available.

I don’t know much about schools, other than that I’ve been told that the BIS has recently improved in quality and is now better than the American one. Anecdotal, but may be why they are expanding. Antara is near the Diplomatic Quarter. Traffic is certainly interesting... My wife spoke to someone who moved from Arizona because the journey to school and then the office was not good, but some people have drivers specifically for that.

Sorry, I don’t have much info re kids and stuff as it’s just the two of us.
Don't apologise you've been mighty helpful. I wonder how much a driver costs?! What kind of cars are you seeing on the road. My wife thinks we need a large 4x4 for family. I am keen on porsche for myself - why not hey!
Old Oct 5th 2020, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

Don't apologise you've been mighty helpful. I wonder how much a driver costs?! What kind of cars are you seeing on the road. My wife thinks we need a large 4x4 for family. I am keen on porsche for myself - why not hey!
Almost exclusively 4x4s, certainly in the compound, although I’ve already seen Mclarens, Aston Martins and Corvettes. I would get something big to be honest - the traffic is mental. You’ll want to be in something sturdy. In our second week someone in a saloon piled into the back of the wife’s Chevy Suburban at high speed. She was fine but the saloon was written off. Never seen the like of the driving!!
Old Oct 5th 2020, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

I wonder how much a driver costs?!!
Not sure, but apparently you can get a live in maid for around 8k USD a year...

Last edited by Trailing_Hubby; Oct 5th 2020 at 2:33 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2020, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

Almost exclusively 4x4s, certainly in the compound, although I’ve already seen Mclarens, Aston Martins and Corvettes. I would get something big to be honest - the traffic is mental. You’ll want to be in something sturdy. In our second week someone in a saloon piled into the back of the wife’s Chevy Suburban at high speed. She was fine but the saloon was written off. Never seen the like of the driving!!
Not sure, but apparently you can get a live in made for around 8k USD a year...
Think i'll leave the porsche in the garage. I had my eyes on Nissans Infinity range. They have gorgeous well spec'd out 4x4's.
8k! really! Now that's tempting... Would prefer them to visit than to live in but still reasonable considering we want to grow our family out there.
Old Oct 5th 2020, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Think i'll leave the porsche in the garage. I had my eyes on Nissans Infinity range. They have gorgeous well spec'd out 4x4's.
8k! really! Now that's tempting... Would prefer them to visit than to live in but still reasonable considering we want to grow our family out there.
There are loads of Toyota FJ Cruisers about, which look like fun. No idea how they drive though.

Old Oct 5th 2020, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

There are loads of Toyota FJ Cruisers about, which look like fun. No idea how they drive though.
Do you plan on doing any off-road driving? The HR rep said to buy new in Dec when there are loads of deal - Hope that helps. I also wonder if the lease options are worth it. Change cars more often that way.
Old Oct 6th 2020, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

Not proper off road, but we’ve been down a dirt track basically to the beach near the camp where the wife is. Two trips and only one puncture so far Some of the guys have been out into the desert proper and gone camping. Hoping to get away without buying a car and just renting when we need it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.