KSA Job Interview

Old Nov 16th 2012, 1:30 am
Just Joined

Ozbek is an unknown quantity at this point
Question KSA Job Interview

Hi all,
I've got an interview with a JV mining company for a job in the KSA coming up. With the current sabre-rattling between Iran and Israel and some of the compound incidents in mind ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...n_Saudi_Arabia ), I have a few questions I hope you can help me with:
  1. If you live on a compound paid for by your company, how would you rate the competency of the compound security personnel?
  2. Does your company have an evacuation/ airlift plan in case SHTF?
  3. Is it taboo to broach this topic during an interview?
Old Nov 16th 2012, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: KSA Job Interview

Originally Posted by Ozbek
Hi all,
I've got an interview with a JV mining company for a job in the KSA coming up. With the current sabre-rattling between Iran and Israel and some of the compound incidents in mind ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...n_Saudi_Arabia ), I have a few questions I hope you can help me with:
  1. If you live on a compound paid for by your company, how would you rate the competency of the compound security personnel?
  2. Does your company have an evacuation/ airlift plan in case SHTF?
  3. Is it taboo to broach this topic during an interview?

A. Well, they have 2 legs and they move...sometimes
B. kind of.....
C. Depends on how much you want the job.

This is, of course, just MY opinion. Others may think of it differently.

I lived there when 3 compounds were bombed in one night. Mine was not, thank God. Some people left after it...but no evacuation as far as I know.
I know people who were on the attacked compounds, nobody was evacuated as far as I know. People stayed at home for a few days...and those in damaged houses, well, they also stayed there.
But again, I do not know what everybody did or how they were treated by their employers...others may have other experiences.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

Ash786 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Alexa

1) Cant comment on all compounds (I live off compound in Jeddah) but some compounds are better than others. (e.g. Arabian Homes - Sierra Village have two lots of checkpoints with guards armed to the teeth)...naturally this is one of the most expensive compounds

2) Your company should have an evacutation plan (mine does) or some form of security dept. Aside form this, you should register with the the FCO anyway if/when you arrive in the country.

3) Nothing wrong with asking the question, we are living in dangerous times and if companies want expats to come out here they should also provide the necessary evacuation for you and your family should it all got t*ts up.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

Err...sorry should have been addressed to Ozbek, not Alexa...I will remember next time to engage my brain before my fingers

Regards
Old Nov 17th 2012, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash786
Hi Alexa

1) Cant comment on all compounds (I live off compound in Jeddah) but some compounds are better than others. (e.g. Arabian Homes - Sierra Village have two lots of checkpoints with guards armed to the teeth)...naturally this is one of the most expensive compounds

2) Your company should have an evacutation plan (mine does) or some form of security dept. Aside form this, you should register with the the FCO anyway if/when you arrive in the country.

3) Nothing wrong with asking the question, we are living in dangerous times and if companies want expats to come out here they should also provide the necessary evacuation for you and your family should it all got t*ts up.

Ash yes, they are armed to the teeth...question is...on who are they going to use those arms.....

And yes, there are plans....

And yes, they should...

I guess after 14 years in the ME I am kind of disillusioned.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexa
Ash yes, they are armed to the teeth...question is...on who are they going to use those arms.....

And yes, there are plans....

And yes, they should...

I guess after 14 years in the ME I am kind of disillusioned.
Disillusioned? Naaa! Realistic, more like.....
Old Nov 17th 2012, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

lostinthedust is an unknown quantity at this point

"... they should also provide the necessary evacuation for you and your family should it all got t*ts up."

We keep valid Multiple entry-exit visa's at all times whether planning to go on vacation or not.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

IMHO coming to the ME means this :
A. You are coming into very unstable (in oh so many ways) territory
B. You hope and pray that during the time you are there things (in oh so many ways) don't go t.ts up
C. You ALWAYS have multiple exit re entry, and a place to go to
D. You keep a low profile
E. You take a deep breath and thank the Lord once you are out.
F. You are well aware that you can't depend on anybody or anything
Oh, and the most important thing...you make enough money to make this whole thing worth it.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

lostinthedust is an unknown quantity at this point

^^^ exactly

In Riyadh I find the greatest threat to personal safety is the roads. If I make it home today in one piece it will be a good day.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 9:23 am
Just Joined

Ozbek is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: KSA Job Interview

Thanks for the input folks! I was peppered with technical and situational response questions and we ran out of time. They needed to cut the call and I didn't get through all my own questions (including the security one). Reckon that if they're interested, they'll keep in touch and I'll ask the manager then.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Oh, and the most important thing...you make enough money to make this whole thing worth it.[/QUOTE]

C. I always keep a bag packed as well with essentials (phone, wallet, passport etc) just in case I had to leggit suddenly.

D. Difficult for me as I am 6'3" tall in a land full of midgets but I try my best to be discrete. I never eat in a restuarant, always buy takeaway and eat it in my apartment. Lonely but safe

Ditto, never forget why you are here. Get in, make as much as you can, and get out when it gets too tough.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 10:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and the most important thing...you make enough money to make this whole thing worth it.
C. I always keep a bag packed as well with essentials (phone, wallet, passport etc) just in case I had to leggit suddenly.

D. Difficult for me as I am 6'3" tall in a land full of midgets but I try my best to be discrete. I never eat in a restuarant, always buy takeaway and eat it in my apartment. Lonely but safe

Ditto, never forget why you are here. Get in, make as much as you can, and get out when it gets too tough.[/QUOTE]

You seem to have the right idea. A regular routine is bad news. I too never ate in restauraunts, never tried setting a set routine. alweays be prepared to do the unexpected. Paranoid? Maybe. Safe? Well I survived 30 years plodding round the Gulf not doing the expected...
Old Nov 17th 2012, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

Ozbek

One thing I forgot to mention, if your interview was cut short, you could email your questions to them? They may have a hissy fit as to why someone would have the bloody cheek to enquire about safety and security before accepting a job offer in Saudi. If that does happen and they don't get back to you, you have probably dodged a bullet or two (literally and metaphorically).
Old Nov 17th 2012, 11:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozbek

One thing I forgot to mention, if your interview was cut short, you could email your questions to them? They may have a hissy fit as to why someone would have the bloody cheek to enquire about safety and security before accepting a job offer in Saudi. If that does happen and they don't get back to you, you have probably dodged a bullet or two (literally and metaphorically).
If you have any doubts about Saudi, then there is usually good reason for them. Saudi is no place for second thoughts when you are there.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

There is something I want to mention though. Despite of everything mentioned above, I had a FABULOUS time in Saudi. The entertainment was incredible, in quality and quantity...and there was lack of literally nothing.
But, that was me...and I guess I was lucky.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.