Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

KSA or Doha? 2 jobs offers..

KSA or Doha? 2 jobs offers..

Old Sep 12th 2012, 12:57 am
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: KSA or Doha? 2 jobs offers..

Originally Posted by co durham boy
We've got a project in Jeddah and believe you me it's no holiday resort....

It's a shithole , just like the rest of Saudi .
Yeah mate, it's not ideal for sure. I was here on short trips up to one month many times and when you're staying in hotels short time it is a shithole. However, when you settle, establish a social circle and live in good compound it's not that bad either.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

EastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Theseus
My suggestions in red - however i know nothing about how expensive schools are so you might need to negotiate that up a bit.

I would also definitely go for the Qatar deal as i would think it really unfair on your wife to make her live in such a restricted place as KSA. In doha there are sooo many mums groups etc, she'd have a great social life almost immediately.
If that kind of thing floats her boat.
Thanks a lot. This is really helpful. I will contact them and see what the outcome is.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

EastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner
Agreed.

For school 60k should be enough for one kid in upper primary or one and a half kids in lower primary. He should clarify the breakdown of schooling (e.g. my company gives 24k per kid up to two kids).

Surprisingly my wife is having a good time, she says better than in Bahrain. Abaya and no driving are not an issue. The only issue is having to look at the prayer times for shop closures all the time. Which is quite annoying. A good compound with residents that match your background is essential. Also in Jeddah one can avail of beaches so we're on the beach every weekend. It's like a small holiday. The Red Sea is much better than the Gulf.
That is another concern for me. I guess 60K will not be enough at all for my 3 kids in a primary school. SO I need to negociate this too.

I guess life expensses in much more in Qatar than in KSA, am I right?
Old Sep 13th 2012, 7:55 am
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by EastWest
That is another concern for me. I guess 60K will not be enough at all for my 3 kids in a primary school. SO I need to negociate this too.

I'd say the costs are there or thereabouts comparing Jeddah and Doha. That is on expat executive level where you want your kids in one of the top two schools. I'd say you will pay 45k for primary in the top tier school in Doha and for sure that is the price here for Continental school and little bit less for Prep and Grammar school.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EastWest

Are you aware that it is VERY difficult to get places in schools in Qatar?
The good schools have long waiting lists. You might want to contact the school of your choice and see what the situation is.
Old Sep 14th 2012, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alexa
Are you aware that it is VERY difficult to get places in schools in Qatar?
The good schools have long waiting lists. You might want to contact the school of your choice and see what the situation is.
Yes, I have heard a lot about lack of school places! This is one of the main reasons why I am reluctant to go to Qatar.