British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   ME Job Discussions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/)
-   -   Job seeker - help needed (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/job-seeker-help-needed-947010/)

GB_GRengineer Feb 7th 2023 1:01 am

Job seeker - help needed

Hi All,

First post on this forum so don't know what to expect. I've been trying to find a job in the Middle East (UAE and KSA) for the last 8 months (overall applied to more than 200 vacancies, reached out to recruiters via LinkedIn, and my only contact in UAE). Unfortunately all my applications resulted in rejections, my messages on LinkedIn ignored and the job offer I received after an interview with a friend's company got withdrawn so here I am.

Does anyone know a recruiter or hiring manager in the wider civil engineering sector (contractor, designer or client side - have worked on all three) who actually reads and responds to messages?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

ZeroCool_HTP Feb 8th 2023 3:18 am

Re: Job seeker - help needed

Originally Posted by GB_GRengineer (Post 13171080)
Hi All,

First post on this forum so don't know what to expect. I've been trying to find a job in the Middle East (UAE and KSA) for the last 8 months (overall applied to more than 200 vacancies, reached out to recruiters via LinkedIn, and my only contact in UAE). Unfortunately all my applications resulted in rejections, my messages on LinkedIn ignored and the job offer I received after an interview with a friend's company got withdrawn so here I am.

Does anyone know a recruiter or hiring manager in the wider civil engineering sector (contractor, designer or client side - have worked on all three) who actually reads and responds to messages?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

For KSA, have you tried Bechtel, Parsons or NEOM?

GB_GRengineer Feb 8th 2023 8:55 am

Hi and thank you for the reply! More than half of the 200 applications I've made so far have been to Neom and Parsons. That's partly why I start to fear they are not looking at job applications and hiring is mostly word of mouth.

Did you manage to get a job from overseas through an job application?

Pkingston Feb 8th 2023 10:22 am

Originally Posted by GB_GRengineer (Post 13171353)
Hi and thank you for the reply! More than half of the 200 applications I've made so far have been to Neom and Parsons. That's partly why I start to fear they are not looking at job applications and hiring is mostly word of mouth.

Did you manage to get a job from overseas through an job application?

Assuming you have been in touch with recruiters/head hunters during your search?

GB_GRengineer Feb 8th 2023 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Pkingston (Post 13171358)
Assuming you have been in touch with recruiters/head hunters during your search?

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what you mean by "been in touch" - I think that's what triggered my post in this forum. I have reached out and contacted recruiters via LinkedIn but received no response whatsoever. That is recruiters working for the companies I'm interested in as well as independent ones. I've also applied via Bayut and Gulf Talent, Michael Page but I haven't received any updates/responses - just the acknowledgement email that my application has been submitted.

Do you know any recruiters that you can recommend?

Fernsby Apr 11th 2024 10:16 am

Originally Posted by GB_GRengineer (Post 13171359)
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what you mean by "been in touch" - I think that's what triggered my post in this forum. I have reached out and contacted recruiters via LinkedIn but received no response whatsoever. That is recruiters working for the companies I'm interested in as well as independent ones. I've also applied via Bayut and Gulf Talent, Michael Page but I haven't received any updates/responses - just the acknowledgement email that my application has been submitted.

Do you know any recruiters that you can recommend?

GB_GRengineer Did you get any further with this? I am in a similar position, albeit looking for Finance roles (Commercial Finance Director/Head of FP&A).

GB_GRengineer Apr 11th 2024 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Fernsby (Post 13248577)
GB_GRengineer Did you get any further with this? I am in a similar position, albeit looking for Finance roles (Commercial Finance Director/Head of FP&A).

Nope... Quite disappointed to be honest. I had a few interviews but either they withdrew the offer (quoted reasons - among others - were that they didn't win the work they expected, or that they were appraising their future position in the country?!).