Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

The job search so far.. am I missing anything?

The job search so far.. am I missing anything?

Old Jul 1st 2012, 12:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Saff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The job search so far.. am I missing anything?

I spoke to somebody at Reed Dubai today who showed some mild interest over the phone.
YAY for mild interest
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

douglasgrant is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
..And despite what agents will tell you, sending your CV out to every agent in sight does not diminish your worth or standing in the marketplace, it gets you maximum coverage which is exactly what you want.
+1 to this comment. don't believe the recruiters. if *i* were in the recruiting business and i made x % from each candidate I placed, the last think I would want is that candidate being placed with another recruiter.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

douglasgrant is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EastWest
Yes, you are missing "WASTA" which is the fast way to get a job anywhere in the Gulf.
Beh, wasta is everywhere. it all comes down to being in the right place and the right time and being prepared for the opportunity.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

Have you checked this website out.

http://jobs.abudhabi.ae/en/
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Saff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by LukeandJo
Have you checked this website out.

http://jobs.abudhabi.ae/en/
Cheers mate, not had that one yet!

Saff
Old Jul 18th 2012, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

EastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud of

I will tell you about what's happening with me on this regard. I have been applying since more than 7 months. I got one offer (through recruiter) in KSA, which I rejected, and another one in UAE, which too I have rejected. They do not meet my minimum expectation. Last May I applied for a position with an oil and gas international company. From what they advertised, the job 100% suits my qualifications and experience, so on the same day I applied for the job I got a phone call from them showing there very interest in me. This was in May. The guy who talked to me said the HR will talk to me and a technical person as well. I waited another month until their HR manager called me and we had a chat for one hour. The HR seemed very interested and said they will contact me within a week. A week passed and another month passed with no signal from them. It was not until last week when I send the guy who talked to me first an email asking why I did not hear from them. He said they have changed their mind about the person they want to employee and thus they are not interested in me! While this may be disappointing I found it completely unethical practice as they hold me for over 2 months, did not contact me at all to say that bullshit at the end. Eventually, I got another job offer elsewhere and will sign the contract soon.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 11:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I will tell you about what's happening with me on this regard. I have been applying since more than 7 months. I got one offer (through recruiter) in KSA, which I rejected, and another one in UAE, which too I have rejected. They do not meet my minimum expectation. Last May I applied for a position with an oil and gas international company. From what they advertised, the job 100% suits my qualifications and experience, so on the same day I applied for the job I got a phone call from them showing there very interest in me. This was in May. The guy who talked to me said the HR will talk to me and a technical person as well. I waited another month until their HR manager called me and we had a chat for one hour. The HR seemed very interested and said they will contact me within a week. A week passed and another month passed with no signal from them. It was not until last week when I send the guy who talked to me first an email asking why I did not hear from them. He said they have changed their mind about the person they want to employee and thus they are not interested in me! While this may be disappointing I found it completely unethical practice as they hold me for over 2 months, did not contact me at all to say that bullshit at the end. Eventually, I got another job offer elsewhere and will sign the contract soon.
Maybe they found out you were just fishing for the best package?
Old Jul 19th 2012, 12:07 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair this is not a ME specific thing. An employer doesn't have any moral obligation to get back to you (unless they promise to do so) in my opinion.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 2:24 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I've been in the position of both prospective employer and job-seeker a good many times: I'm afraid you'll just have to roll with the punches, it won't be the last time it'll happen. Lean organisations are probably able to know with certainty what headcount they need and move forward quickly, but they're few and far between: many things can happen between identifying a need and actually fulfilling it. A business' prime concern is in making money and managing its risk: yes, you may fit perfectly a particular requirement they have, but other things on their agenda can easily become (or already be) more important than filling one particular position. A manager in a company may be trying to fill numerous positions, and s/he'll have to prioritise; and once you get the (often woefully inadequate) HR involved, things can move really slowly.

My advice: don't pin too many hopes on interviews you have (especially if they're not face-to-face)--you may have to get close to getting a job many times before you actually land one. And often an opportunity will seemingly come out of nowhere and, suddenly, you're where you want to be. Just make sure that you network as much as possible.

Good luck
Old Jul 19th 2012, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

EastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Scamp
Maybe they found out you were just fishing for the best package?
I do not think so, as we were in the process of interview.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by norsk
To be fair this is not a ME specific thing. An employer doesn't have any moral obligation to get back to you (unless they promise to do so) in my opinion.
I understand that. They only reply if they are interested, but in my case they said they are interested (actually were impressed with my profile, as they said) and the start their interview process but then they did not get back to me!
Old Jul 19th 2012, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I've been in the position of both prospective employer and job-seeker a good many times: I'm afraid you'll just have to roll with the punches, it won't be the last time it'll happen. Lean organisations are probably able to know with certainty what headcount they need and move forward quickly, but they're few and far between: many things can happen between identifying a need and actually fulfilling it. A business' prime concern is in making money and managing its risk: yes, you may fit perfectly a particular requirement they have, but other things on their agenda can easily become (or already be) more important than filling one particular position. A manager in a company may be trying to fill numerous positions, and s/he'll have to prioritise; and once you get the (often woefully inadequate) HR involved, things can move really slowly.

My advice: don't pin too many hopes on interviews you have (especially if they're not face-to-face)--you may have to get close to getting a job many times before you actually land one. And often an opportunity will seemingly come out of nowhere and, suddenly, you're where you want to be. Just make sure that you network as much as possible.

Good luck
I don't mind they decided not to get me, but what annoyed me is their very poor communications, lack of coordination between different staff in the recruitment process. While I sent an email to the HR asking to update me on the process (3 weeks after his call), he never replied my email! So I sent an email to another staff who said the HR will reply within a few days! a month passed with no reply so I contacted the person who made the first contact with me ( he is in a different country than where the job was supposed to be). Then, and only then, I learned they did not want me.
As I said, I don't mind this, as it is absolutely their decision but why the f*** keeping me waiting this long time? BTW until now the HR did not reply !
Anyway, I have recently got a job elsewhere, which I like more than that potential one.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Lol my first ever post deleted and it wasn't even a bad one.

Ramadan Kareem sand people.

I must admit I never bought into the Ramadan bollix practiced by most of the locals. I did have respect for a few who were a little more traditional in their approach but even they pissed me off as I had to sneak round the back of the office in the blazing sun to have a fab