Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Job package..........really sorry!

Job package..........really sorry!

Old Sep 20th 2009, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

oakley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job package..........really sorry!

Hi all,

I vowed that I would never post a 'what do you think of this package thread' but have crumbled.

I came across this site a few months back when I was contacted about a job with a package that made 'budget constraints' irrelevant, the salary and benefits were too good to be true...........and guess what......they were!

Anyway, during my research it seemed that Abu Dhabi was a pretty cool place to live and work. So I have persued a few leads, and almost have an offer of a job. The package is just over 27K per month plus 220K a year housing allowance.

So my questions are the usual ones, What sort of villa/appt would I get for 220K. How much to live for a couple? Would it be possible to save on that salary?

Finally, any of you taken your dog out there?

Again, sorry for the usual lame questions.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all
Default Re: Job package..........really sorry!

You could either get a 4-bed villa off the island. On the island I'm not so sure but would say a 2-bed apartment should be easy enough to find on that allowance.
Yeah you should be able to save quite a bit on that salary I would have thought but it depends on how good you are at spending of course...
You should also get flights home once a year, medical, schooling if you have any kids and maybe your leccy and water paid too if you're lucky.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 9:05 am
Just Joined

Thanks,

really appreciate the reply.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

WaqasKhawaja is an unknown quantity at this point

hi mate,

just bare in mind that AD prices are very high compared to Dubai prices (almost 3 times) I'm still doing my research at the moment...

I've heard that people live in Dubai and travel to AD. so you get to save a lot more.

220 k on housing allowance in AD will get you a lot in AD, but again, you need to get yourself on gulf news website and have a look there. Its not like here in uk where there are tonnes of photos and a good description of the place...the descriptions are quite crraap!

I have been advised to gt your employer to put you up for 1 month in a hotel, or their own accommodation while you look for a decent place to live. That's our plan anyway.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all

just bare in mind that AD prices are very high compared to Dubai prices
Only housing. Everything else is cheaper.

I've heard that people live in Dubai and travel to AD. so you get to save a lot more.
You will only save more by living in Dubai if the housing is coming out of your own pocket. i.e., not applicable to Oakley.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

WaqasKhawaja is an unknown quantity at this point

Hawkhead, your correct abuot the houses/flats - its what i ment
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

Again, really appreciate this.

So, in sum 220K will get me somewhere decent to live in Abu Dhabi?

Now.......what about bringing my dog?
Old Sep 24th 2009, 3:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Yeah, the housing market has greatly improved in the last 6-12 months, so if it's just the two of you you should be fine.
Dogs, no idea, hate the bloody things. Try a separate thread on the normal ME board?
Old Sep 24th 2009, 5:30 am
Just Joined

Thanks,

will do
Old Sep 25th 2009, 4:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hawkhead
Only housing. Everything else is cheaper.

You will only save more by living in Dubai if the housing is coming out of your own pocket. i.e., not applicable to Oakley.
I find that cars and hotels are cheaper in Dubai...
Old Sep 25th 2009, 4:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oakley
Again, really appreciate this.

So, in sum 220K will get me somewhere decent to live in Abu Dhabi?

Now.......what about bringing my dog?
take a look at www.dubizzle.com - this will give you a pretty accurate feel for rentals. But yes, 220Dh will get you 3/4 bed house in Al Raha (which is about 30mins from the city but bascially in the desert) or a 2/3 bed flat in the city.

If you are thinking of moving to the city don't consider anywhere without parking.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

220k for housing is fine. In the current environment its pretty good.

Dogs - they are not mad about them here, Muslims consider dogs close to pigs. There are a few about with Western expats, but don't expect it to win you any local friends.
Old Sep 27th 2009, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

I find that cars and hotels are cheaper in Dubai...
Sorry to be picky but.... it doesn't matter whether you buy your car in AD or Dubai, so not really an issue, and who cares what hotel prices are like in a city you live in?!
Old Sep 27th 2009, 12:57 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hawkhead
and who cares what hotel prices are like in a city you live in?!
i do for when the wife kicks me out..
Old Sep 28th 2009, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

thanks for all the advice. I've been looking in Gulf News at property. Do you know of any publications that have photo's along with the descriptions?

Last edited by oakley; Sep 28th 2009 at 1:23 pm. Reason: spelling mistake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.