Contract length - Saudi

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

thecentennial is on a distinguished road
Default Contract length - Saudi

Hi,

After thinking all was locked in, I received my contract today for my job in Saudi.

During the interview process, I was provided with an example of a standard work contract, which stated a 3 year contract term.

The contract I was provided with stated 1 year.

I am not comfortable with this - leaving a relatively stable role to pack up my family and move to the ME on a one year contract does not sit that well with me.

Is this the norm? Do contract usually roll over? Is there normally a chance to renegotiate at the end of the 1 year?

Any guidacne appreciated.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 4:10 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Contract length - Saudi

I wouldn't be too concerned about Saudi contracts. When I got mine it mentioned a salary 50% of what I was actually being paid and I never signed it but still worked there for over 8 years at the full pay with termination benefits paid in full at the end.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 5:15 am
Banned

eylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to all

IMHO the contract is worth noting as can be cancelled by 1 month's notice by either party, i.e. you will get 1 months salary and a ticket if they sack you before the end of the year.

After that it's plus 2 weeks salary per year worked until after year 5 when it goes up to plus 1 months salary per year.

Where are you going in saudi?
Old Feb 24th 2009, 5:32 am
Banned

eylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to all

Sorry, should have read "worth nothing". Type writer ribbon stuck!
Old Feb 24th 2009, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by eylesda
IMHO the contract is worth noting as can be cancelled by 1 month's notice by either party, i.e. you will get 1 months salary and a ticket if they sack you before the end of the year.

After that it's plus 2 weeks salary per year worked until after year 5 when it goes up to plus 1 months salary per year.

Hi - going to Riyadh, one of the big banks..good role, big scope, little bit scary..!
Old Feb 24th 2009, 6:33 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by thecentennial
Hi,

After thinking all was locked in, I received my contract today for my job in Saudi.

During the interview process, I was provided with an example of a standard work contract, which stated a 3 year contract term.

The contract I was provided with stated 1 year.

I am not comfortable with this - leaving a relatively stable role to pack up my family and move to the ME on a one year contract does not sit that well with me.

Is this the norm? Do contract usually roll over? Is there normally a chance to renegotiate at the end of the 1 year?

Any guidacne appreciated.
second the opinion of the others that the paper's a bit useless. irrespective of the contract length, the iqama (residency/work permit) is only valid for 2x years so if you got a 3x year, you'd have to renew it anyway.

things to look out for in the contract are;
- probation period and your obligations if one party or the other decide to call it quits
- any restrictions on travel at any time (i.e. during the probation period)
- whether or not you get a multi exit/entry visa or a single
- be aware that the contract will come in both arabic and english but as far as the saudi's are concerned, it's only the arabic that's valid. might be worth a quid or two to get it translated by a third party just in case

personally, a one year is probably ok as it will give you an opportunity (and out) to really appraise the place for yourself. also, who knows what the place (and the rest of the world) will be like in 12 months?
Old Feb 24th 2009, 6:40 am
Banned

Hi - going to Riyadh, one of the big banks..good role, big scope, little bit scary..!
I've been out here since '84. You will have a great time.

The locals are good and generally mind their own business.
Follow the rules and keep a low profile.

PM me when you get out and I'll give you some social contacts, good guys with access to the embassy (bar).

Join the British Businessmen's Association as soon as you arrive. Loads of contacts.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, just to add my two'penneth worth, my contract is for two years, on a rolling basis, and going on the previous experience of many other colleagues, they were also given two year deals.

Some of them are still here 27 years later, some of them went home after that two year spell. I think it tends to be pretty flexible really.

As still unsure points out, the Iqama ( residency permit ) is valid for two years at a time. Once your employer goes through all the hassle of getting you out here, I would think they'd want for at least that two year period.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

I've been out here since '84. You will have a great time.

The locals are good and generally mind their own business.
Follow the rules and keep a low profile.

PM me when you get out and I'll give you some social contacts, good guys with access to the embassy (bar).

Join the British Businessmen's Association as soon as you arrive. Loads of contacts.
eylesda - will certainly take you up on that offer.

Re multi entry/exit visa - doesnt say so in contract, though my hirer (bank COO and fellow expat) assures me I will be granted one post iqama issuance - I trust the guy so I hope he backs up his word.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 7:37 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

eylesda - will certainly take you up on that offer.

Re multi entry/exit visa - doesnt say so in contract, though my hirer (bank COO and fellow expat) assures me I will be granted one post iqama issuance - I trust the guy so I hope he backs up his word.
get it in writing!! get it in writing!! get it in writing!!

if he's an expat, he'll understand, and even though they might deny your request anyway, at least you can show the paperwork and maybe push the issue!

(sorry, have been badly burnt by promises by my expat manager made to me outside the kingdom who has dudded and lied to me big time - i trusted the "he's an expat so he'll be fine" and was a complete load of boll0cks... <end rant/>)
Old Feb 24th 2009, 5:26 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by still.unsure
get it in writing!! get it in writing!! get it in writing!!

if he's an expat, he'll understand, and even though they might deny your request anyway, at least you can show the paperwork and maybe push the issue!

(sorry, have been badly burnt by promises by my expat manager made to me outside the kingdom who has dudded and lied to me big time - i trusted the "he's an expat so he'll be fine" and was a complete load of boll0cks... <end rant/>)

By my experience if anyone out here is going to shaft you it will be a Brit! We seem to despise each other instead of looking out for each other. We need to get more like the Yanks and Indians and watch each others backs.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 7:16 pm

By my experience if anyone out here is going to shaft you it will be a Brit! We seem to despise each other instead of looking out for each other. We need to get more like the Yanks and Indians and watch each others backs.
funny that you should guess the expat in question is a brit...

look, sounds rough, but i expected to be screwed around by the locals, (resentment against any expats perhaps, i don't know) but i didn't expect to be done over by a 'westerner'. am not a brit myself, but the attitude of this one is truly stupifying. (to the point where he'll blantatly recommend a 'great' place to go and tell you it's south when it's north. it's not that he got his directions mixed up, he just doesn't want you to know what he knows... ) though i must admit i think i've figured out now when he's lying, it's when his lips are moving.

(*sigh* sorry, yet another bad month)
Old Feb 25th 2009, 11:24 pm
Just Joined

bagpus is an unknown quantity at this point

hi
i see you have experience of living in Riyadh and would really appreciate some info as we are due to go out there in a month. Having spent three years in the caribbean we're a bit wary of the restrictive lifestyle.
How bad is it really?
Old Feb 26th 2009, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bagpus
hi
i see you have experience of living in Riyadh and would really appreciate some info as we are due to go out there in a month. Having spent three years in the caribbean we're a bit wary of the restrictive lifestyle.
How bad is it really?
See The Deans wiki article on Saudi lifestyle, it'll give you a good starter.

I was in Riyadh for around four months, and was there before my wife and daughter came out, so lived life as a 'single' , which perhaps meant I didn't appreciate some of the restrictions.

Riyadh is a little more conservative than other cities in KSA ( eg Jeddah ) , but if you are going to be living on a compound, then it'll be pretty 'westernised' anyway. THe main restrictions you will no doubt have heard about are women not being allowed to drive, and the compulsory abbaya when out in public. Most eating places will also have segregated places for 'singles' and 'families' ( eg couples ) .

But, once you get to build a social life, its down to you to make what you can of it, and most people once they adopt to the local lifestyle , find Saudi a fascinating place to live. I've met loads of westerners who have been here for decades, initially only coming for a short term contract. The local Saudi's have been nothing but friendly and hospitable, the authorities can be a little bureaucratic.

If you do occasionally fancy a break, you can drive / fly over to Bahrain, where you can 'let your hair down' and indulge.

Good luck.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

bagpus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
See The Deans wiki article on Saudi lifestyle, it'll give you a good starter.

I was in Riyadh for around four months, and was there before my wife and daughter came out, so lived life as a 'single' , which perhaps meant I didn't appreciate some of the restrictions.

Riyadh is a little more conservative than other cities in KSA ( eg Jeddah ) , but if you are going to be living on a compound, then it'll be pretty 'westernised' anyway. THe main restrictions you will no doubt have heard about are women not being allowed to drive, and the compulsory abbaya when out in public. Most eating places will also have segregated places for 'singles' and 'families' ( eg couples ) .

But, once you get to build a social life, its down to you to make what you can of it, and most people once they adopt to the local lifestyle , find Saudi a fascinating place to live. I've met loads of westerners who have been here for decades, initially only coming for a short term contract. The local Saudi's have been nothing but friendly and hospitable, the authorities can be a little bureaucratic.

If you do occasionally fancy a break, you can drive / fly over to Bahrain, where you can 'let your hair down' and indulge.

Good luck.
Thanks for the info I checked the wiki...........now all I need are some friends to play with whilst poor husband goes to work. I have asked the agent to find out the name of the compound we have been allocated and may ask if any peeps know the good/bad ones.
I do have some dumb women questions so if any women out there can help me with them I would appreciate it..............................

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.