Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Job offered in Bahrain - need help pls!

Job offered in Bahrain - need help pls!

Old Nov 4th 2010, 8:03 am
Just Joined

bluesmoke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job offered in Bahrain - need help pls!

Thanks everyone for your comments.
How much will a driver and maid cost per month? How do I find one?
Old Nov 4th 2010, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

I think some people need to be spoon feed.
Please do some research use google look for bahrain newspapers, web sites etc.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 9:10 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coffindodger
Unlike here in Riyadh.
A total grid lock for most of the day.
There are some traffic jams here in rush hour, but most of the time is okay.

However, I was actually referring to the number of lunatics in the traffic. On a scale of 1-10, where 1 is a serene grassy field and 10 is the middle of a battlefield with shells falling around you; Saudi is a definite 10 whilst Bahrain is probably a 4. UK is probably around 3 as a comparison.

By the way, has the introduction of Saher (if it is live in Riyadh yet) helped or made it worse?
Old Nov 4th 2010, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk
There are some traffic jams here in rush hour, but most of the time is okay.

However, I was actually referring to the number of lunatics in the traffic. On a scale of 1-10, where 1 is a serene grassy field and 10 is the middle of a battlefield with shells falling around you; Saudi is a definite 10 whilst Bahrain is probably a 4. UK is probably around 3 as a comparison.

By the way, has the introduction of Saher (if it is live in Riyadh yet) helped or made it worse?
Made it a lot worse !!!
Traffic at perk hours which is now nearly all is grid locked on the Eastern, Mecca roads.
King Fahad can be busy at odd times
Old Nov 4th 2010, 9:19 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coffindodger
Made it a lot worse !!!
Traffic at perk hours which is now nearly all is grid locked on the Eastern, Mecca roads.
King Fahad can be busy at odd times
That's what I suspected. They have put up all the camera posts and sensors in the road already in Khobar. I think they are talking about early next year. Not looking forward to it to be honest. The traffic is already heavy...
Old Nov 6th 2010, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

That's what I suspected. They have put up all the camera posts and sensors in the road already in Khobar. I think they are talking about early next year. Not looking forward to it to be honest. The traffic is already heavy...
I am moving to Khobar in March next year.
Most likely travelling daily to / from Bahrain.
If i can get this visa thing sorted out!!
Old Nov 7th 2010, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Villa prices have generally dropped this year though the landlords will have you think otherwise as there is a little over supply.
Went to see a stunning 5 bed double storey yesterday which may be able to give you an idea of what you can get for your dinars. As said 5 beds, central AC, about 5 years old, in well maintained condition, large gardens, double shaded car parking, good compound and in the right area. 1300 bd inclusive of utilities semi furnished or 1500 bd inclusive fully furnished. Its a lot of villa for the cash (Janabiya by the way)

Car rental prices are as mentioned earlier however your approx 200 bd will generally get you something Tiida sized and with 3 kids, 2 kiddy car seats and one booster seat you may need or want something a bit bigger so an Altima can be had for around 240 dinars a month.

An 8 - 10 year old Chevy suburban will cost around 4000 dinars should you wish to purchase a decent sized bus to protect the family but buyer beware anything that has been owned by a Bahraini.

Get a price on your medical insurance as it may be significant given the size of the family. Try Bupa or Allianz but none have great service in Bahrain and you will generally be expected to pay up front unless an absolute emergency

An English speaking part time maid will be 2 bd an hour as a rule live out. Most Bahraini villas have external maids quarters of a good size and not the box rooms of some other GCC countries should you want a live in. A good English speaking Sri Lankan maid will cost around 150 - 180 bd a month. A non English speaking Bangla around 75 bd a month live in

Go on the websites to look at cost of flights from Bh back to UK and dont base it on prices in the UK. Budget 300 bd per adult. Unless you live down south there are no direct flights to UK, only Heathrow is served so going home anywhere else costs and takes time

I think the salary is OK but not great. You should be able to save some but those kids are gonna cost you here. If you are coming for a senior postion then you have been shafted cos it aint a senior salary and getting a local contract should have had the alarm bells ringing a little,

Plenty of Asian debauchery available down town and plenty bored UK houswives/wife swapping on the compounds should you so desire. I dont look and therefore dont see so mafi mushkla. From what I hear its nowhere near as bad as Crawley
Old Nov 7th 2010, 11:21 am
Just Joined

bluesmoke is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Tockalosh - really helpful! Based on the feedback here I did go back to my employer to ask for private health care and schooling. They have agreed to provide medical! but for wife and 2 kids only which was a bit strange as we 3 kids so have asked all 3 kids to be included. Still waiting to hear on schooling but am hopeful as no news is good news!! The role is marketing director so fairly senior and have been told the pay is benchmarked to going rates. Having discussed with a few ppl here I was told a local package works out better financially as I would have to pay tax in the UK if it was an expat assignment. Would you agree? I'm not so fussed about flghts home really as we already spend that much on hols in the UK plus we do live down south so shouldn't be too bad I hope. We are just a regular family so will be staying well clear of the swapping scene! Just want to make sure it doesnt come looking for us :-)
By the way I didn't mention it but a fully managed prado or similar car is already included so if they threw in schooling (even it's partial support) then I guess it should all work out well. Thanks again!
Old Nov 7th 2010, 6:02 pm
Global Hobo

Norsk-also is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
Go on the websites to look at cost of flights from Bh back to UK and dont base it on prices in the UK. Budget 300 bd per adult. Unless you live down south there are no direct flights to UK, only Heathrow is served so going home anywhere else costs and takes time
y
My klm flights cost about 400 quid return (adult flying monkey class) to the norf, not direct...but Schiphol is not the worste airport to hang out in.

Be aware of the love of red eye flights here though..its ridicolous!! It happens all over the ME and the indian sub-continent. Quite un-reasonable.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

albertolano is an unknown quantity at this point

Not common at all to be honest. The traffic in Bahrain is perfectly acceptable...
Whit

It's bloody mental. BEEEEEEEP BEEEEEEEP
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:53 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

Originally Posted by albertolano
Whit

It's bloody mental. BEEEEEEEP BEEEEEEEP
If you think the traffic in Bahrain is mental is wonder what you'll say about the traffic in Dammam considering that's where you'll be working according to your other post.

Good luck with that..
Old Dec 30th 2010, 8:35 am
Just Joined

albertolano is an unknown quantity at this point

If you think the traffic in Bahrain is mental is wonder what you'll say about the traffic in Dammam considering that's where you'll be working according to your other post.

Good luck with that..
Spent a week over there eyeing the place up and yup, Dammam IS mental. Bahrain just slightly less
Old Feb 12th 2011, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

Nishant is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bluesmoke
Hello there
I live in the UK and my company wants me to relocate to Bahrain with my family on a senior position. We have three kids aged 7.5, 6 and 3 and the package on offer is 4500 BD per month (which includes accomodation allowance as cash) plus company car and annual bonus. I have a few questions:
1. Is this a good package and enough to live comfortably with a steady pool of savings?

i guess so .. house would cost roughly 1000 and another 500 for car and grocerry .. add another 500 - 800 for expenses for kids so u have 1500-2000 left as savings monthly
2. Am I correct to understand that Bahrain is a tax free country?

yup
3. Will my salary be enough to cover schooling costs for our 3 children in a good British school?

not too good in that as i am single still
4. Is Bahrain a good place to bring up your family?

its a nice chilled out and peaceful place

5. I have heard its debauchery galore on weekends.. is this limited to clubs etc. or visible enough to be distasteful?

ya u need to have a good social circle to enjoyy on weekends as its a small place.. but not that boring either.. has lots of clubs , bars and pubs.. so u wont miss the night life at all
Would really appreciate any help.