Job offered!!!

Old Oct 16th 2011, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

Ilford_or_Dubai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job offered!!!

Hi all,

I now have a job offer from the company i was talking all this time...

My question is how much can be negotiated up from these offers? 10%, 20%...? The offer includes schooling for children (12k pa for less than 4 yrs, 28k for 4+) howevr i dont have any children.

So ideally, i would like to up my pay by at least 12 - 28k pa frmo what they offered.

Also; i don't want to blow this up by asking a level where it requires CXO approval - if it goes there i might have to wait a long time to hear back...

So the million dollar Q; without annoying them realistically how much can I negotiate up?

offer is as below:

Salary
holiday - 30 working days (yes confirmed not calender days)
return economy class air ticket for family annual
relocation package - shipping, temp accom, visa fees all paid for
2 - 4 time bonus
schooling 12k/28k depending on child age

finally, what are the chances of going there and re-opening the pay discussion in couple of months - does it happen in that part of the world often?
Old Oct 16th 2011, 11:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offered!!!

I managed to get just over 50% more than the original offer, I asked for double - however I was already earning what they originally offered me initially and I did originally turn the role down (I was head hunted)so wasn't interested in moving for that so this went backwards and forwards for several months but to be honest in my field there isn't much competition in Dubai so I was in a good position. My salary here is on a par with what I would earn in the UK though for a company this size and the role I am in however I wouldn't normally expect to receive bonus. And it is tax free- cheaper cost of living etc so I am better off here- and I was self employed in the UK so this offers me security etc during tough times.

Once you're here it isn't easy to negotiate as you are here (obviously)and they have you trapped in a visa sponsor scenario. However since being here I've had a few promotions and in two years am 25% above my starting salary here.

So thrash it out before you move! But also be realistic, the streets aren't paved with gold here like they once were. If you are going to be even slightly better off than you would be in the UK its strongly worth considering in my opinion.

Good luck :-)
Old Oct 16th 2011, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kittycat1
I managed to get just over 50% more than the original offer, I asked for double - however I was already earning what they originally offered me initially and I did originally turn the role down (I was head hunted)so wasn't interested in moving for that so this went backwards and forwards for several months but to be honest in my field there isn't much competition in Dubai so I was in a good position. My salary here is on a par with what I would earn in the UK though for a company this size and the role I am in however I wouldn't normally expect to receive bonus. And it is tax free- cheaper cost of living etc so I am better off here- and I was self employed in the UK so this offers me security etc during tough times.

Once you're here it isn't easy to negotiate as you are here (obviously)and they have you trapped in a visa sponsor scenario. However since being here I've had a few promotions and in two years am 25% above my starting salary here.

So thrash it out before you move! But also be realistic, the streets aren't paved with gold here like they once were. If you are going to be even slightly better off than you would be in the UK its strongly worth considering in my opinion.

Good luck :-)
great - valuable insights...

I want to up by 10% minimum. I will try "no children so less insurance + nil school fees" so give something out of that to me card to see how it flies.

Also; the pay is calculated based on my pasy slip, should bring in things like share options etc I get now... let's see how it goes...
Old Oct 16th 2011, 11:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

that sounds reasonable
Old Oct 16th 2011, 11:48 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

As stated previously elsewhere:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _jon_
We have to consider what salary to ask for as discussions continue, she was told 'name your price'.

If she hasn't already, then DON'T! Once she's named it, it'll only move in one direction. Cajole them into giving a figure first, then negotiate it up from there till she's fairly confident that's the most they'll move to. Unless she's up against someone really good, you'll be able to get a figure out of them by saying something along the lines of, "I'm sure a company of your repute will be offering a salary that is competitive and suitable for the position, what do you have in mind?" Edge it up at each step by repeating the amount, "xxk. <<silence for up to 30 seconds>> That seems a little modest considering my skills and experience and the requirements of the position." Ball back in their court and the cycle re-starts. Difficult to do in writing, very powerful face-to-face. I ended up getting 40% more than my lowest acceptable salary last time I used this.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 11:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bahtatboy you will love my current scenario- recently promoted and I have no idea what the payrise is as 'I'll be looked after' .... we shall see what comes in my next paypacket.

Ilford- don't listen to me listen to bahtatboy- he's old so has lots of experience

@ bahtatboy xxx
Old Oct 17th 2011, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
As stated previously elsewhere:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _jon_
We have to consider what salary to ask for as discussions continue, she was told 'name your price'.

If she hasn't already, then DON'T! Once she's named it, it'll only move in one direction. Cajole them into giving a figure first, then negotiate it up from there till she's fairly confident that's the most they'll move to. Unless she's up against someone really good, you'll be able to get a figure out of them by saying something along the lines of, "I'm sure a company of your repute will be offering a salary that is competitive and suitable for the position, what do you have in mind?" Edge it up at each step by repeating the amount, "xxk. <<silence for up to 30 seconds>> That seems a little modest considering my skills and experience and the requirements of the position." Ball back in their court and the cycle re-starts. Difficult to do in writing, very powerful face-to-face. I ended up getting 40% more than my lowest acceptable salary last time I used this.
yes, scene this in my search - planning to play this game tomorrow :-)

Old Oct 17th 2011, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Bahtatboy you will love my current scenario- recently promoted and I have no idea what the payrise is as 'I'll be looked after' .... we shall see what comes in my next paypacket.

Ilford- don't listen to me listen to bahtatboy- he's old so has lots of experience

@ bahtatboy xxx
No idea what your payrise will be ? Being looked after in this part of the world could mean an extra 10,000 AED per month or a 200 AED voucher for Lulu....

Saying that you can get quite a lot in Lulu for 200 chips
Old Oct 17th 2011, 1:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

durham boy- note why I am saying don't listen to me! lol

I like my job I'm getting paid pretty well anyway so anything on top is good- unless your my boss reading this in which case pay me a million pounds please
Old Oct 17th 2011, 1:48 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

@ bahtatboy xxx
You need a good spanking, my girl.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
You need a good spanking, my girl.
now how is that going to help in my discussion with the HR girl tomorrow
Old Oct 17th 2011, 1:52 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Ilford_or_Dubai
Well, if her offer is too low you could use those words to her. Let me know what happens...
Old Oct 17th 2011, 1:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bahtatboy-

and I'm sure you do it well as you have years of experience
Old Oct 17th 2011, 2:18 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

I now have a job offer from the company i was talking all this time...

My question is how much can be negotiated up from these offers? 10%, 20%...? The offer includes schooling for children (12k pa for less than 4 yrs, 28k for 4+) howevr i dont have any children.

So ideally, i would like to up my pay by at least 12 - 28k pa frmo what they offered.

Also; i don't want to blow this up by asking a level where it requires CXO approval - if it goes there i might have to wait a long time to hear back...

So the million dollar Q; without annoying them realistically how much can I negotiate up?

offer is as below:

Salary
holiday - 30 working days (yes confirmed not calender days)
return economy class air ticket for family annual
relocation package - shipping, temp accom, visa fees all paid for
2 - 4 time bonus
schooling 12k/28k depending on child age

finally, what are the chances of going there and re-opening the pay discussion in couple of months - does it happen in that part of the world often?
Did they not include housing allowance, or has that been factored into the package?

The most important thing to do is work out what you need to live here (and cover any commitments you may have at home), stick on some savings then see how it looks.

Whatever you do, don't sell yourself short. This is the last place you want to be where you need credit cards/loans that can't be covered. If the offer is what you think is low, forget it - I get the impression you are very keen to move here, and that can sometimes cloud peoples judgement.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 10:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Not a lot with happen with the HR Girl.

She can't make the decision to increase your salary.

You need to speak to, and i hate to use this expression, the MAN (Money Authority Need).

He or she will be able to make what you agree happen. HR lady will just say no, then say she'll ask, then say no, then say she'll ask, then offer you a free wet wipe, then say she'll ask. You'll be hanging around forever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.