British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   ME Job Discussions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/)
-   -   Job offer, salary ect is it a good one? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/job-offer-salary-ect-good-one-592112/)

frenchiex Feb 17th 2009 5:36 pm

Job offer, salary ect is it a good one?

Hi there
My OH has been offered a job in AD starting in March we have heard it is very expensive to live in AD and we are unsure if it is a good offer or not? Any advice much appreciated....

The offer is.....

Wage 34,000 Dhs per month
Furniture allowance 50,000 Dhs
Transport allowance 2000 Dhs per month
House rental allowance 300,000 per year

full medical and dental insurance for all the family plus 2 business class tickets home per year

TGFKASE Feb 17th 2009 5:38 pm

Re: Job offer, salary ect is it a good one?

Originally Posted by frenchiex (Post 7294650)
Hi there
My OH has been offered a job in AD starting in March we have heard it is very expensive to live in AD and we are unsure if it is a good offer or not? Any advice much appreciated....

The offer is.....

House rental allowance 300,000 per month

full medical and dental insurance for all the family plus 2 business class tickets home per year

What size of house you looking for??

Roadking Feb 17th 2009 5:40 pm

Hi there

The offer is.....

House rental 300'000 per month? Hell yes, that'll do!

I guess you mean 30'000 pm or 300'000 per year, either of which should do you for a reasonable villa. Salary is OK as well as are the other benefits. Depending on where you are from and what you are earning, that seems a sensible package.

Good luck, it's not a bad life.

Poitin Feb 17th 2009 5:48 pm

any children?

schooling costs? Don't know about AD but Dubai 35000/year/child approx.

good luck

Jammy_Dodgers Feb 17th 2009 5:50 pm

Hi there

The offer is.....

If you have kids, push for schooling as well.....can't hurt.

Either way, considering the economic climate, and the fact housing is covered...sounds good to me

frenchiex Feb 17th 2009 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 7294661)
House rental 300'000 per month? Hell yes, that'll do!

I guess you mean 30'000 pm or 300'000 per year, either of which should do you for a reasonable villa. Salary is OK as well as are the other benefits. Depending on where you are from and what you are earning, that seems a sensible package.

Good luck, it's not a bad life.

omg I am officially blonde! lmao
It was a mistake for sure. The house allowance is 300,000 per year not per month! oops guess that changes the ball game some huh? lol

frenchiex Feb 17th 2009 6:03 pm

Thanks for your replies guys, think things sound ok so far. No school age kids so no probs with school fees. Although my 18yr old will be tagging alone for the ride so I guess that will cost us untill he finds a job! :thumbdown:lol
Frenchiex

Smacked Feb 17th 2009 6:56 pm

Hey, what work does your husband do? We had an offer for Dubai as well. Feel uneasy at the moment because of the redundacies.

commander Feb 18th 2009 1:47 am

that sounds great!!!!!

Go for it...

Poitin Feb 18th 2009 2:29 am

Have you thought or sorted who is sponsoring you son?

I did hear recently a family who had got here and had problems - don't know how they overcame it but just look into that.

Seemly he a man here in this part of the world ;)

I know if it was a daughter her dad could sponsor her - don't know about sons though - thought they had to be working or in education.

Dot you i and cross your t before getting here.:)

rowell Feb 18th 2009 2:39 am

Originally Posted by frenchiex (Post 7294724)
Thanks for your replies guys, think things sound ok so far. No school age kids so no probs with school fees. Although my 18yr old will be tagging alone for the ride so I guess that will cost us untill he finds a job! :thumbdown:lol
Frenchiex

There could be a problem with sponsoring an 18 year old, he will probably need to go to college/university, so you need to take that into account in your outgoings.

Blue Cat Feb 18th 2009 3:09 am

sounds good, but the likelihood of an 18 year old finding employment is pretty slim :(

busybee2 Feb 18th 2009 3:17 am

yes a male child can only be sponsored past 18 unless in full time education/employment.