Job offer in Riyadh

Old May 13th 2018, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

Nathan14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job offer in Riyadh

Originally Posted by omega7
The definition of lucrative is a bit subjective. But 80k, and schooling is a solid offer. To be clear, for a role in Saudi the one and only driver should be the money. I cant believe that a role in railways in a country that has zero experience in the industry will really add that much on your CV. Had it been in Oil and Gas it would have been a different story though.
Thats a brutal statement you made at the end but the right one. I am super confused as ever now.

Last edited by Nathan14; May 13th 2018 at 4:31 am. Reason: Spellings
Old May 13th 2018, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

omega7 is an unknown quantity at this point

I didnt want to discourage you. Just for KSA, it is always (and only) about money. Career prospects are practically nonexistent, chances to learn and grow professionally are very limited, and your family's social life would suffer. Having said that, before going back to them with a counteroffer, ask yourself what is that you really want (monetarily) to make this worth it. Add something on top as bargaining chip and go for it. If they match what you want, then great! If not, you would know why you said no. I am sure you have an excel built up with the offer's financials and KSA expenses - let it work for you

p.s: i narrowed down the criteria for KSA to basically just one: money. I am sure there are many others which obviously is why it is hard to decide. Just fundamentally if money is the primary driver for anyone to move to GCC, it is even more so for a move to Saudi.
Old May 13th 2018, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by omega7
I didnt want to discourage you. Just for KSA, it is always (and only) about money. Career prospects are practically nonexistent, chances to learn and grow professionally are very limited, and your family's social life would suffer. Having said that, before going back to them with a counteroffer, ask yourself what is that you really want (monetarily) to make this worth it. Add something on top as bargaining chip and go for it. If they match what you want, then great! If not, you would know why you said no. I am sure you have an excel built up with the offer's financials and KSA expenses - let it work for you

p.s: i narrowed down the criteria for KSA to basically just one: money. I am sure there are many others which obviously is why it is hard to decide. Just fundamentally if money is the primary driver for anyone to move to GCC, it is even more so for a move to Saudi.
Thank you. Money is obviously a factor. Being able Sending kids to a private school is another and even more important for me. Let's see how it shapes up. The biggest fear is what after the stint there. That's the biggest worry.

Regards
Old May 14th 2018, 7:39 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

When you leave the UK to live or work overseas you are given provisional Non-Residence status for UK income tax and NI purposes. To be confirmed Non-Resident you need to pass one of various tests set out by HMRC. There is a good flowchart here. The quickest way for you to achieve this is to pass the Automatic Overseas Test by working full-time overseas for at least a full tax-year and limiting your days visiting and/or working in the UK. The current tax-year began on 6th April 2018, so the first full tax-year that is available to you runs from 6th April 2019 to 5th April 2020. That's nearly 2 full years that you'd need to keep working full-time in KSA before being confirmed Non-Resident, which as I said earlier is a big risk if you run into work or family problems and have to repatriate to the UK on or before 5th April 2020. For the avoidance of doubt, you remain fully liable for UK tax and NI on your worldwide earnings until you are confirmed UK Non-Resident, however this status applies retrospectively to the date you started working full-time overseas, so all your earnings could be tax-free. There's a Split-Year Concession available for the tax-year you leave the UK and the tax-year that you return, both subject to conditions.
Old May 14th 2018, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

skaldic is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Nathan

what school do they cover? A good school aka an american one costs like 15k$ to 20k$ a year and trust me , you want them in a Tier 1 school

schooling 2000$ a month
food for four ~ 1000 or 1500 a month
Housing in a compund ~ 1500 to 2000$

that totals up to approx. 5000$ which leaves you with 13000$ or ~ 10k pounds a month
Old May 15th 2018, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
When you leave the UK to live or work overseas you are given provisional Non-Residence status for UK income tax and NI purposes. To be confirmed Non-Resident you need to pass one of various tests set out by HMRC. There is a good flowchart here. The quickest way for you to achieve this is to pass the Automatic Overseas Test by working full-time overseas for at least a full tax-year and limiting your days visiting and/or working in the UK. The current tax-year began on 6th April 2018, so the first full tax-year that is available to you runs from 6th April 2019 to 5th April 2020. That's nearly 2 full years that you'd need to keep working full-time in KSA before being confirmed Non-Resident, which as I said earlier is a big risk if you run into work or family problems and have to repatriate to the UK on or before 5th April 2020. For the avoidance of doubt, you remain fully liable for UK tax and NI on your worldwide earnings until you are confirmed UK Non-Resident, however this status applies retrospectively to the date you started working full-time overseas, so all your earnings could be tax-free. There's a Split-Year Concession available for the tax-year you leave the UK and the tax-year that you return, both subject to conditions.
Thank you so much, this info has really helped.