Job Offer in Qatar

Old Jan 13th 2013, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

claimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant future
Default Re: Job Offer in Qatar

I know my job, and take pride in getting things right.

I've worked around, and in fact still work around individuals who talk all the shit in font of the right people, only to fall flat when the get the job, and need pulling out the shit.

It's not overly difficult to read and understand a contract, look up case law, bounce a few ideas off others and reach a decision. I by no means believe I'm "Gordon Gecko".

Just looking to get on in life, like everybody else.

Not worked abroad before. I'm a senior QS/Commercial Manager, with 10 years with the same firm, and plenty of experience in most sectors of construction. I deal with all of the claims within the firm I'm with, so I have half a clue. There's always something you don't have a clue about, but that's when you earn your cash, as your able to get your head around the situation and deal with it.

I'm 35, have a QS degree from Reading Uni, diploma in QSing, and will undertake an LLM, starting in Sept this year.

I'm using sites like Careerstructure, who have some big wages advertised for the ME.

In the interview which went on for nearly 3 hours, they fired a load of possible situations at me which I answered fully and clearly. Upon this they offered me the position.

Claimsboy.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

dubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Contracts and deals mean nothing here in this part of the world unfortunately .
Obvious Guy says: If this were the case then there wouldn't be a huge market in dispute resolution, would there (as nobody would be able to enforce any obligations and engaging in disputes would be a waste of time, right)?
Old Jan 15th 2013, 4:27 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dubaiguy2011
Obvious Guy says: If this were the case then there wouldn't be a huge market in dispute resolution, would there (as nobody would be able to enforce any obligations and engaging in disputes would be a waste of time, right)?
I am curious about this also. Are the disputes typically western companies trying to sue clients or local subcontractors?
Are there many local versus local disputes which go to courts?
Old Jan 15th 2013, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

claimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
I am curious about this also. Are the disputes typically western companies trying to sue clients or local subcontractors?
There are honest firms (well, erm....) who deal with contracts and claims upon request. And, there are claims firms who act like foxes to outwit there opponents.

In other words, there are claims companies who will set up the contract for a fail, so the can sting the arse out of the client etc, its like a game of chess. If you sit and go through the info, you'll always find a load of issues, some, if not most chose to play the contract once rolling, that way they can claim the arse out of the client. Not good for anyone really, but thats the way it is. Nothing different than what the contractors are doing themselves.

Its much better, and nicer all round if you can work on an honest claim, and reach a negotiable conclusion prior to litigation.

Claimsboy.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes , we're on with one now and we're been politely told that we're better off letting the sponsors sort it out over coffee.

High Profile contract disagreement where we have a bullet proof technical argument that cannot be disputed and we need to take a haircut over a few cups of Mellow Birds .

Qatari's will not back down even if it's stone wall , their level of ignorance on all levels makes it a difficult place to operate especially when there's contractual problems and litigation .

These guys believe that if you've made a bit of money then it's ok for them to take a bit back.

Amateurs
Old Jan 16th 2013, 9:14 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Yes , we're on with one now and we're been politely told that we're better off letting the sponsors sort it out over coffee.

High Profile contract disagreement where we have a bullet proof technical argument that cannot be disputed and we need to take a haircut over a few cups of Mellow Birds .

Qatari's will not back down even if it's stone wall , their level of ignorance on all levels makes it a difficult place to operate especially when there's contractual problems and litigation .

These guys believe that if you've made a bit of money then it's ok for them to take a bit back.

Amateurs
Completely agree, we've just had to write off 50% of the monies due to us because some numpty (at our end) didn't get the correct authorisations in 2011, no PO, no $$$/

Fair comment to them i'd say, and stupid us for not following the correct procedure.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 10:14 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Amateurs
yeah that's what I was getting at, I don't see the point of all these expensive claims processes because invariably it gets sorted out informally.

On the other side of your coin a good sponsor will get you some money back informally if you lose, well our guys seem to be able to pull it out of the bag like that every now and then.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

yeah that's what I was getting at, I don't see the point of all these expensive claims processes because invariably it gets sorted out informally.

On the other side of your coin a good sponsor will get you some money back informally if you lose, well our guys seem to be able to pull it out of the bag like that every now and then.
We know we'll have to take a big hit but it's still hurts . Contracts to these people are not worth nothing . The project has been delayed and massively over budget but these guys don't giVe a flying fu**. They blame somebody else , look the other way or just lie or maybe all three.

When time and money are not on your constraint list you re-write the rule book basically.

Qatari's squabble and fight amongst themselves , then with the consultant and then with the contractor . Technical and contractual decisions are made that just beggars belief .They also believe that you'll not go to court and that no one has the money to front them out or to sit through litigation.

They're wrong on both accounts as we're seeing with the shambles that's engulfed the N.D.I.A.

Qatar is the biggest white elephant on the planet , i'm still amazed so many people fall for the bullshit.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 10:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

We know we'll have to take a big hit but it's still hurts . Contracts to these people are not worth nothing . The project has been delayed and massively over budget but these guys don't giVe a flying fu**. They blame somebody else , look the other way or just lie or maybe all three.

When time and money are not on your constraint list you re-write the rule book basically.

Qatari's squabble and fight amongst themselves , then with the consultant and then with the contractor . Technical and contractual decisions are made that just beggars belief .They also believe that you'll not go to court and that no one has the money to front them out or to sit through litigation.

They're wrong on both accounts as we're seeing with the shambles that's engulfed the N.D.I.A.

Qatar is the biggest white elephant on the planet , i'm still amazed so many people fall for the bullshit.

You sound so anguished.

You'll have your time there, leave and never look back so just enjoy taking money off the half-wits
Old Jan 16th 2013, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scamp

You sound so anguished.

You'll have your time there, leave and never look back so just enjoy taking money off the half-wits
Taking money off these people is a pleasure and believe you me they've got plenty to squander .

The more we make the more i get so everytime these doughnuts welch on a payment it hurts my pocket , that my good friend always causes me untold amounts of anguish
Old Jan 16th 2013, 10:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Taking money off these people is a pleasure and believe you me they've got plenty to squander .

The more we make the more i get so everytime these doughnuts welch on a payment it hurts my pocket , that my good friend always causes me untold amounts of anguish
I can imagine. I don't get my commission until invoices are paid.

Two contractors didn't pay for ages (tiny amounts in the grand schemes, 35,000 and 47,000)...took me standing in the finance managers offices refusing to leave. Worked both times (albeit a lot less complicated and smaller than your payments).
Old Jan 16th 2013, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

I can imagine. I don't get my commission until invoices are paid.

Two contractors didn't pay for ages (tiny amounts in the grand schemes, 35,000 and 47,000)...took me standing in the finance managers offices refusing to leave. Worked both times (albeit a lot less complicated and smaller than your payments).
I worked for a firm that was owed over 500 million dibs in Dubai at one time mate , this is alot smaller but it's still a significant amount of money .

In Dubai they just didn't have it end of story but here they're swimming in it which makes it a bitter pill to swallow even more .

They have no idea of value here , building an airport is like buying a fu**ing carpet at the souk for these people .
Old Jan 16th 2013, 10:57 am
Account Closed

I worked for a firm that was owed over 500 million dibs in Dubai at one time mate , this is alot smaller but it's still a significant amount of money .

In Dubai they just didn't have it end of story but here they're swimming in it which makes it a bitter pill to swallow even more .

They have no idea of value here , building an airport is like buying a fu**ing carpet at the souk for these people .
Everything seems so lax. A lot of the guys in Qatar also saw a change in guard with older boys being pushed out for the younger generations who came in and didn't have the balls to make a lot of decisions on projects (as I was told).

Place is just a mess.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 11:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Everything seems so lax. A lot of the guys in Qatar also saw a change in guard with older boys being pushed out for the younger generations who came in and didn't have the balls to make a lot of decisions on projects (as I was told).

Place is just a mess.
Always has been. Always will be. Qatar doesn't really do change.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 11:02 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Speaking of the New Airport, when is it meant to open, I'm guessing not next Friday when i fly in there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.