Job Offer in Qatar

Old Jan 11th 2013, 7:46 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Offer in Qatar

Originally Posted by claimsboys
I may sound defeated, but I'm now thinking whether its worth it at all.

I have a good job and good package here, in a long term position, not sure it's worth risking. My family are settled and we live in a nice quite area.

I've turned down further interviews on the, strength of that supposed job I had......mmmmmmm

Thanks for the info.

Claimsboy.
Sorry to hear your news.

Those things count for a lot. There is absolutely no job security in this part of the world (not that there's much in UK), and, in practice, employees have bugger-all rights. However, let things subside over the next few days, and then review--there are plenty of people here whose move has been positive, despite initial setbacks.

Good luck.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

claimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Sorry to hear your news.

Those things count for a lot. There is absolutely no job security in this part of the world (not that there's much in UK), and, in practice, employees have bugger-all rights. However, let things subside over the next few days, and then review--there are plenty of people here whose move has been positive, despite initial setbacks.

Good luck.
Maybe good advice. Feeling pretty low yesterday after all the legwork we had put in this end for it to fall through. We had set on moving out to Qatar.

I was aware that companies out in the ME can mess people around (not all I'm sure?)' never expected it from an English firm but....

Thanks for the post.

Claimsboy.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

mathematist will become famous soon enough

Mate, the worst thing is when the western companies apply the professionalism of the local institutes.. They'd never get away with it here but becausr they know they can, they will...
Old Jan 12th 2013, 1:32 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

After gearing up to move to Qatar, job secured, I received an email from the firm stating that due to the job being cancelled in Qatar the job is no longer available?

That fact they couldn't call me directly stinks.

Is this typical of the ME? I have a family and could do without putting them through this again.

My only grace is that I had not informed my current employers.

It was an English firm?

Onwards and upwards I suppose.

Claimsboy.
2 things, If they offered you a position and you accepted you can claim against them..especially if you say you resigned your current position. I may get pulled up by a lawyer on here, but my understanding is and always has been signed contracts is a contract.....

Second, Everyone here is full of shit. I trust a 4 year old with a hammer in a museum more than any cnut here. Good luck mate.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

claimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by britexpat76
2 things, If they offered you a position and you accepted you can claim against them..especially if you say you resigned your current position. I may get pulled up by a lawyer on here, but my understanding is and always has been signed contracts is a contract.....

Second, Everyone here is full of shit. I trust a 4 year old with a hammer in a museum more than any cnut here. Good luck mate.
To qualify, I never did resign my current position, very close to it though as we had decided to move earlier than planned ( originally moving in April ).

If I had handed my notice in, with my current employer after 10 years and this firm pulled the chain on me, I would have already had paid them a visit and ripped them apart with my own hands.

I must look into it really, but if the contract they where going to put me on has been cancelled, and they have nothing for me, I'm not overly sure of the position. Although I'm not entirely sure this is the case????

I have received another email from this firm to say they will hopefully have something for me in a few weeks. That fact that they cannot be arsed to call, and that the individual in question has not return my calls speaks volumes.

Maybe I shouldn't have this attitude, but I simply cannot be arsed to take it further.

It's made me think long and hard about the move, I have a good job, happy family, nice house and more importantly security, as much as one can have in a job. The only benefit of the move was that I could have banked a lump each month.

Claimsboy
Old Jan 12th 2013, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

To qualify, I never did resign my current position, very close to it though as we had decided to move earlier than planned ( originally moving in April ).

If I had handed my notice in, with my current employer after 10 years and this firm pulled the chain on me, I would have already had paid them a visit and ripped them apart with my own hands.

I must look into it really, but if the contract they where going to put me on has been cancelled, and they have nothing for me, I'm not overly sure of the position. Although I'm not entirely sure this is the case????

I have received another email from this firm to say they will hopefully have something for me in a few weeks. That fact that they cannot be arsed to call, and that the individual in question has not return my calls speaks volumes.

Maybe I shouldn't have this attitude, but I simply cannot be arsed to take it further.

It's made me think long and hard about the move, I have a good job, happy family, nice house and more importantly security, as much as one can have in a job. The only benefit of the move was that I could have banked a lump each month.

Claimsboy
Which company is it ?
Old Jan 12th 2013, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Which company is it ?
I'd rather not name the firm.

They are global, highly respected, oh and seemingly can be a bunch cnuts

They have been in the best firm to work for on a global list for some time. That as much as I'd like to say.

Claimsboy.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

I'd rather not name the firm.

They are global, highly respected, oh and seemingly can be a bunch cnuts

They have been in the best firm to work for on a global list for some time. That as much as I'd like to say.

Claimsboy.
Why don't you get hold of the top man in the office . If you've been given a formal contractual offer and then for some excuse the offer has been withdrawn then you need to have an explanation as to why this has occurred .

I'm afraid in this part of the world incompetence is rife but you could have found yourself up shit street with your present employer if you'd handed your notice in .

To fob you off with an email is not acceptable and to ignore even more so . Some people here work on the fact that you'll just give up in the end and that'll be it .

Getting through to the right person is 75% of winning in The Gulf . The least you deserve is a full explanation of what went wrong. Some people are just f**ing horrible out here , they lose all empathy with situations as they're just constantly turning people over at work as well as their daily shitty lives.

They pass themselves off as Gordon Geko's but are more akin to Gordon The Gopher !

Good Luck

Last edited by co durham boy; Jan 12th 2013 at 9:47 am.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

I have put in a call and await a reply by phone. The problem I have is that it was the top man and his associate in England who interviewed me, it was also the top man, (director) that sent both emails, something which really has pissed me off.

Maybe he will call back? I'll be calling him back for sure.

It's just the whole email situation and it coming after securing the job, travelling half way around the country for interviews, and getting a call from them only on Monday just passed to discuss the move, then getting an email two days later with shitty news? To say I'm perplexed is an understatement.

Anyway, enough moaning, I still have a job, and I'll just have to get on with it.

Claimsboy.

Last edited by claimsboys; Jan 12th 2013 at 10:25 am.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 9:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Unfortuntely pal, it's the way both some companies (and some candidates) act out here.

Too many people hide behind emails and fail to explain or return calls or act like a normal human being.

I can imagine you'd be a lot less pissed off if you'd received a call explaining what had gone wrong rather than an email and silence combo.

Maybe just get on Naukri, GulfTalent etc and start finding other options out here if you're set on it?
Old Jan 13th 2013, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Scamp
Unfortuntely pal, it's the way both some companies (and some candidates) act out here.

Too many people hide behind emails and fail to explain or return calls or act like a normal human being.

I can imagine you'd be a lot less pissed off if you'd received a call explaining what had gone wrong rather than an email and silence combo.

Maybe just get on Naukri, GulfTalent etc and start finding other options out here if you're set on it?

Scamp,

Correct, a call would have been nice. To be honest I feel a bit of a tit, after deciding on the move, getting the ball rolling, and telling just about everybody other than my firm I'm left a little red faced. Learning fast about the ME, and not on the ground as yet.

On both those sites mate, as I have stated earlier, I have turn other interviews down, which is annoying but cannot do anything now.

I've had to calls this morning, one from Qatar, one from KSA, I shall be giving the KSA a wide birth, I've heard some pretty bad tales of that place.

After speaking with the wife, and disappointment subsiding we would still very much like to go for it. Hopefully this will be the only time suffer from being ****ed about?

Claimsboy.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 11:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Scamp,

Correct, a call would have been nice. To be honest I feel a bit of a tit, after deciding on the move, getting the ball rolling, and telling just about everybody other than my firm I'm left a little red faced. Learning fast about the ME, and not on the ground as yet.

On both those sites mate, as I have stated earlier, I have turn other interviews down, which is annoying but cannot do anything now.

I've had to calls this morning, one from Qatar, one from KSA, I shall be giving the KSA a wide birth, I've heard some pretty bad tales of that place.

After speaking with the wife, and disappointment subsiding we would still very much like to go for it. Hopefully this will be the only time suffer from being ****ed about?

Claimsboy.
I hope for your sake it is the last pal.

You'll find something, don't worry, you're clearly getting plenty of calls which means one of four things:

1. You're good.
2. You're cheap.
3. You're good and cheap.
4. You're good and someone is going to try and get you on the cheap.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

I hope for your sake it is the last pal.

You'll find something, don't worry, you're clearly getting plenty of calls which means one of four things:

1. You're good.
2. You're cheap.
3. You're good and cheap.
4. You're good and someone is going to try and get you on the cheap.
Scamp, nice one for the vote of confidence!

Not cheap, but not as expensive as most in my field out in ME. I'm forever informed that I need to lesson certain expectations and career level to get into the ME, then work up.

To be honest I don't know, I'm new to this whole ME melting pot.

The job I thought I had would have seen me on $12k per month plus $4K for accommodation, medical for family and flights. This would have allowed us to keep our place here renting it out and live and normal life there, whilst putting a lump away each month, that was the whole point.

It'll happen if I keep on to it, sure of that......

Claimsboy.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 11:53 am
Account Closed

Scamp, nice one for the vote of confidence!

Not cheap, but not as expensive as most in my field out in ME. I'm forever informed that I need to lesson certain expectations and career level to get into the ME, then work up.

To be honest I don't know, I'm new to this whole ME melting pot.

The job I thought I had would have seen me on $12k per month plus $4K for accommodation, medical for family and flights. This would have allowed us to keep our place here renting it out and live and normal life there, whilst putting a lump away each month, that was the whole point.

It'll happen if I keep on to it, sure of that......

Claimsboy.
Depending on how old, how experienced etc etc etc that's not a bad whack. In fact, that's nearly 10,000 sterling a month. Someone must have had a big claim that they didn't want to **** up (further).

Have you worked abroad before? If not, that's one of the better offers I've seen for someone (excuse the term) fresh off the boat. Normally companies low-ball new folk to the international game.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Depending on how old, how experienced etc etc etc that's not a bad whack. In fact, that's nearly 10,000 sterling a month. Someone must have had a big claim that they didn't want to **** up (further).

Have you worked abroad before? If not, that's one of the better offers I've seen for someone (excuse the term) fresh off the boat. Normally companies low-ball new folk to the international game.
If you can be competitive salary wise in todays job market and your skills tick the box you've got a chance .

There's many so called expats that inflate their worth and some have a shock when trying to secure another post .

It's one thing knowing what you're worth but another pricing yourself out of the job !

Employers are looking for flexibility on all fronts .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.