Job Offer in Qatar

Old Dec 16th 2012, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

claimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant future
Default Job Offer in Qatar

Hi all,

Looking for some advice please.

I have been offered a position in Qatar working for a claims company, who have offices throughout the Middle East and England.

I have negotiated a good salary in excess of $100000. All flights paid for initially, then a $2000 per ann for flights. Full medical cover for all family, and $2000 per month towards accommodation.

I know the $2000 per month wont get me much in terms of accommodation, well not from what i've been looking at?

I have a wife, and a 13 month old son. Can anyone offer advice on best places to live, or good location for families, also on renting cars, what is the cost etc, and are there plenty of activities/mummy and baby groups on a daily basis, as i dont want my wife and child left out on a limb.

I suppose what i'm asking is, is Qatar family friendly. My family are the most important thing.

Regards

Claimsboy
Old Dec 19th 2012, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

dubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Job Offer in Qatar

Qatar is very family friendly - your wife and child will be fine here and I am sure will settle into the groove quite quickly.

You're correct that US$2k a month won't get you much by way of housing... A villa on a decent compound will cost you around QAR 16 / 17k a month. Qatar is expensive. Very very expensive. In terms of places to live, I'd suggest coming for a look see first and getting the lie of the land. Better than renting a place for a year and hating it.

You can rent a Nissan Shitbox or a Toyota Awful for around QAR2k a month.

Ask your employer about education allowances as I understand schools etc are (from what I have been told) expensive.

Good luck with the move!
Old Dec 20th 2012, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

claimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant futureclaimsboys has a brilliant future

Thanks for the reply.

I have only just been made aware that i may have to rent a place for a year (pay up front) is this true?

If so further negotiations are need with the employer.

Regards

Claimsboy.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

Ash786 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by claimsboys
Thanks for the reply.

I have only just been made aware that i may have to rent a place for a year (pay up front) is this true?
Quite common in the ME. Ask the company if they would be prepared to pay the rent for the year and then deduct it from your salary each month
Old Dec 20th 2012, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Thanks for the reply.

If so further negotiations are need with the employer.

Regards

Claimsboy.
No you only need to pay 1 months deposit and one months rent up front. You provide 11 post dated cheques for the remining 11 months. If you have to leave then the tenancy agreement is terminated: you close your bank account so that is that, but don't expect to get you deposit back.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

BritLad is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in Qatar. I's argue that Qatar is not that family friendly. It will require you and your family make efforts to join communities. Qatar is young that way: many of the communities are not that established yet, so it will take some effort on your part.

My suggestion is to get a villa in Villagio. The apartment downtown thing will leave your wife feeling isolated, as there isn't much of an expat wife community there for her to hang out with. Villagio is a little more Western family friendly, so sports leagues, kids outings and other Western parents are easy to find.

One final thing, I'd suggest travelling here first before bringing your family. If you can get everything settled, then it will be a much easier transition for your family when they decide to come.

All the best.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful.

We are all moving together, rightly or wrongly.

My wife is in LOVE with the pearl, but i think a villa is best.

We have lived abroad before when young, Ibiza, and Thailand, but we have a little one, and he is the priority.

I'm sure it'll be fine, we are and will be active in meeting others in a similar position, and if all else fails we can always come home, as we have a home here we will rent out.

Regards

Claimsboy.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dubaiguy2011
Qatar is very family friendly - your wife and child will be fine here and I am sure will settle into the groove quite quickly.

You're correct that US$2k a month won't get you much by way of housing... A villa on a decent compound will cost you around QAR 16 / 17k a month. Qatar is expensive. Very very expensive. In terms of places to live, I'd suggest coming for a look see first and getting the lie of the land. Better than renting a place for a year and hating it.

You can rent a Nissan Shitbox or a Toyota Awful for around QAR2k a month.

Ask your employer about education allowances as I understand schools etc are (from what I have been told) expensive.

Good luck with the move!
You can get a decent villa for 12K , no need to pay over the odds if you do the legwork .
Old Jan 5th 2013, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

We have been having a good look on line at what is available, and there seem to be some very nice places for between 12-16K, not sure what will be available once we get there, but from what I've read on here the price maybe open to negotiation.

Managed to negotiate $4K per month for accommodation so that is enough to get a decent place, as long as the misses is happy that's all that matters.

Happy wife easy life!

Regards

Claimsboy.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

We have been having a good look on line at what is available, and there seem to be some very nice places for between 12-16K, not sure what will be available once we get there, but from what I've read on here the price maybe open to negotiation.

Managed to negotiate $4K per month for accommodation so that is enough to get a decent place, as long as the misses is happy that's all that matters.

Happy wife easy life!

Regards

Claimsboy.
There' still plenty decent places about at decent prices , take your time when you get here and dont rule anything out .

Good Luck
Old Jan 6th 2013, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

We intend too, don't want to rush into anything.

Thanks for your advice, it's most welcomed.

Claimsboy.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

After gearing up to move to Qatar, job secured, I received an email from the firm stating that due to the job being cancelled in Qatar the job is no longer available?

That fact they couldn't call me directly stinks.

Is this typical of the ME? I have a family and could do without putting them through this again.

My only grace is that I had not informed my current employers.

It was an English firm?

Onwards and upwards I suppose.

Claimsboy.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

mathematist will become famous soon enough

Yes, becoming more and more common even to the untouchable western passport holders. Never ever resign until your visa is issued. Never.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 4:10 am
BE Forum Addict

After gearing up to move to Qatar, job secured, I received an email from the firm stating that due to the job being cancelled in Qatar the job is no longer available?

That fact they couldn't call me directly stinks.

Is this typical of the ME? I have a family and could do without putting them through this again.

My only grace is that I had not informed my current employers.

It was an English firm?

Onwards and upwards I suppose.

Claimsboy.
Par for the course mate , contracts and deals mean nothing here in this part of the world unfortunately .

There's never a free lunch in The Gulf .
Old Jan 11th 2013, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

I may sound defeated, but I'm now thinking whether its worth it at all.

I have a good job and good package here, in a long term position, not sure it's worth risking. My family are settled and we live in a nice quite area.

I've turned down further interviews on the, strength of that supposed job I had......mmmmmmm

Thanks for the info.

Claimsboy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.