Job Offer in Principle

Old Oct 18th 2019, 6:43 am
Just Joined

eyeysintheeast is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job Offer in Principle

Hi I am new here and I have tried to search through the forum to see if there is a related post which could provide me with some response to my questions but couldn't find any or probably didn't search enough, pardon me all the same.I am British citizen living in the UK and working as an O and G contractor with over 15 years experience
See offers in principle below;
Position 1
· Basic rate 650 USD/day
· Accomodation and local transport 500USD (only for Doha, Qatar)
· Medical and repatriation allowance payable by agency
· Mob demob 1500USD
Resident status no leave tickets. It will be at my cost

Position 2
Day rate = USD750 /day
Single status accomodation USD 3,675.00 and Transport 540 USD
Married status accomodation USD 4,337.00 and Transport USD540.00
Medical and repatriation insurance for single status borne by agency
Visa and work permit born by agency
Resident status, no leave tickets. Borne by employee
Economy class ticket for mob and demob and 1 annual leave to the employee and spouse ONLY (if under family status) personally I don’t see why anyone will offer an economy class ticket for flights over 6hrs
The above is a high level breakdown of the benefits, however I would like some guidance from the expat minds on their take of such a package. Being British and never worked in the Middle East before does this package sound reasonable, I am a contractor in the O and G sector and my present contract in the UK is coming to an end and with the IR35 looming in the background I am thinking of jobs abroad or go permie

any help/guidance/insight will be appreciated

Last edited by eyeysintheeast; Oct 18th 2019 at 8:27 am.
Old Oct 19th 2019, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Offer in Principle

Package 2 over Package 1 every time.

I work in a different industry but 2 doesn't seem too far off the mark. Would be a bit on the light side on daily rate for rail with your length of experience but I don't know O&G. Accommodation is in line with ours. We only get economy flights, regardless of distance.
Old Oct 20th 2019, 5:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Standanista View Post
Package 2 over Package 1 every time.

I work in a different industry but 2 doesn't seem too far off the mark. Would be a bit on the light side on daily rate for rail with your length of experience but I don't know O&G. Accommodation is in line with ours. We only get economy flights, regardless of distance.
To be honest I thought same as well but with no experience regarding rates in Qatar I kinda took it on the chin, hence my queries on this forum.

Since these rate are coming from the agency would you think the agency might go low as to secure the role for their candidate? I was off the opinion that agencies make there cut as a percentage and not as a fixed sum
Old Oct 20th 2019, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eyeysintheeast View Post
To be honest I thought same as well but with no experience regarding rates in Qatar I kinda took it on the chin, hence my queries on this forum.

Since these rate are coming from the agency would you think the agency might go low as to secure the role for their candidate? I was off the opinion that agencies make there cut as a percentage and not as a fixed sum
It depends on the agency. Some don't make commissions etc they just get a monthly salary so a job placement is a job placement regardless of the daily rate
I remember the days of USD1500 a day. Sadly contractor rates have been steadly declining since the end of 2013
Old Oct 20th 2019, 11:32 am
Just Joined

Ok thats great, thanks for taking time out to respond. Appreciated!
Old Dec 12th 2019, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

Hi everyone, many thanks to those who took out time to respond to my post.
However I just got a shocker. My agency came back saying their client has proposed USD 550/day against the 750 USD day (package 2) following a successful interview
I was of the opinion that the process follows somewhat similar to the below;
· Agencies sends commercial tender/proposal alongside CVs to HR
· HR reviews commercial with CVs
· HR select candidate based on commercial proposal which should be in line with the job role budget from company
· HR sends selected CVs to hiring manager for review
· Hiring manager selects CVs for an interview
· Hiring managers selects desired candidate following a successful interview
· HR send job offer to candidate via agency
· Candidate accepts jobs offer.
However in my case it seems the client/HR is coming back now to drop the rate 200 USD short following a successful interview.
Is this common practice in Qatar that after an interview the end customer starts to renegotiate rates downwards or could it be that the agency is playing a game?
If agencies only have a mark-up then I do not think that they are playing a game because the higher the rate the better their commission?
What are the chances that HR is trying to force a negotiation and not a ‘take it or leave it’?
Old Dec 12th 2019, 11:40 pm
Just Joined

Dictator1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I doubt it will be intermediary. Unfortunately there’s no set rule on salary. I had similar experience where they offered a really low package even though they also had my payslips. You can always renegotiate but likelihood is that they might have another candidate from different nationality who would grab the low offer with both hands.