British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   ME Job Discussions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/)
-   -   Job offer - Jeddah (salary and cost of living question) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/job-offer-jeddah-salary-cost-living-question-922026/)

GR81 Feb 13th 2019 12:42 pm

Job offer - Jeddah (salary and cost of living question)

Hi

I am currently looking at a potential job offer for a big 4 accounting firm in Jeddah. I am from the UK. I have a wife and a 1 year old child.

I am being asked my salary expectations. The position is for a Senior Manager.

I am thinking of asking for a total package around 40-45k SAR a month.

Currently my wife and I both work and the daughter goes to nursery so the benefit of the move will be more money and the wife not needing to work. Of course one big trade off is being away from our parents and siblings. We are Muslims so culture shock is not a problem.

Using some online calculators I have estimated the following for my monthly costs:

Dependent tax 200
Food and leisure 3,000
Rent for 3 bedroom apartment 5,000 (I don't need to stay in a compound but the more luxurious the better)
2 cars on lease + fuel 2,000
Utilities, cleaning and internet 1,200
Other unexpected costs 4,000

That totals up to around 16k SAR in monthly costs.

I also have a UK mortgage around GBP 1,800. Hopefully mostly covered by rent while I am away. Any vacant costs plus bills will be around GBP2k (10k SAR) so I have to factor that in. In that case I should

Does this sound reasonable?

Are there any costs that I've missed a look wrong?

Should I spend more on the accommodation?

My child doesn't go to school yet but should I factor in any other costs like nursery/school fees (or a future child!)?

Are there any other benefits I should think of including in my package?

omega7 Feb 16th 2019 7:33 am

Re: Job offer - Jeddah (salary and cost of living question)

In KSA, and often in other GCC countries, your current package is usually the benchmark that they use when offering a salary. Thus, to best advise you, you need to share what you are currently earning.

GR81 Feb 16th 2019 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by omega7 (Post 12637896)
In KSA, and often in other GCC countries, your current package is usually the benchmark that they use when offering a salary. Thus, to best advise you, you need to share what you are currently earning.

I'm currently earning 70k GBP plus annual bonus of around 10 percent.

omega7 Feb 16th 2019 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by GR81 (Post 12638063)
I'm currently earning 70k GBP plus annual bonus of around 10 percent.

Assuming 6k GBP per month (UK salary) that's some 30k SAR per month. The 45k SAR is reasonable. Less may be less attractive - it's KSA after all. And by the way leaving outside a compound is really tough in Saudi - wouldnt recommend it at all, especially if you bring your family. Hence you may want to increase housing costs. And dont tell your desired Salary - ask them to make you an offer first. And if you aim for 45k, ask for 50k. It's Saudi - they are used to bargaining and if they want you, they will take you.