Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Job Offer email from Qatar - Scam??

Job Offer email from Qatar - Scam??

Old Dec 18th 2012, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

lledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nice
Default Re: Job Offer email from Qatar - Scam??

Originally Posted by scot47
If you take the bait, the next step will be to ask yoiu for a "visa processing fee" or similar.

This is CERTAINLY a scam
It sure is. The email even has the same grammatical errors as the one in the link above.

I'm feeling pretty stupid now. Although not as stupid as I'd feel if I'd gone a bit further.

Thanks for the help everyone. Still open to (genuine!) job opportunities!!
Old Dec 19th 2012, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

Ash786 is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't feel stupid mate, just count yourself lucky you dodged a bullet!

As to finding work in the ME, I suggest if you can get some good post-graduation experience in Ireland/UK/Europe, this will help you greatly. Usually in the ME, western expats are employed in manager type roles - part technical, part commercial. Actual day to day electricians they will usually find from Asia and pay peanuts for.

Good luck whatever you decide
Old Dec 19th 2012, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

lledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ash786
Don't feel stupid mate, just count yourself lucky you dodged a bullet!

As to finding work in the ME, I suggest if you can get some good post-graduation experience in Ireland/UK/Europe, this will help you greatly. Usually in the ME, western expats are employed in manager type roles - part technical, part commercial. Actual day to day electricians they will usually find from Asia and pay peanuts for.

Good luck whatever you decide
Thanks Ash,

From May 2013 I'll have a degree in Energy Systems Engineering in addition to my trade, so hopefully I'll get some sort of supervisory job in the ME. I think the key will be to get some oil & gas industry experience nearer to home first.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 8:55 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lledlledlled
Thanks Ash,

From May 2013 I'll have a degree in Energy Systems Engineering in addition to my trade, so hopefully I'll get some sort of supervisory job in the ME. I think the key will be to get some oil & gas industry experience nearer to home first.
Re the scam, don't be embarrassed: you checked and got to the bottom of it.

It may be worth a punt getting in touch with the companies in UAE involved in energy conservation: flavour of the month right now. Big-up your pre-degree experience, and play on the conservation / green aspects of your degree (there must be some). Have a look at Masdar.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Re the scam, don't be embarrassed: you checked and got to the bottom of it.

It may be worth a punt getting in touch with the companies in UAE involved in energy conservation: flavour of the month right now. Big-up your pre-degree experience, and play on the conservation / green aspects of your degree (there must be some). Have a look at Masdar.
Thanks. I will check that out.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 9:44 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

Also now you know and were you so inclined you could turn the tables on these guys and waste their time for a bit. Ask to see a copy of the trade license and then pictures of the site / house, then an org chart, hen contract, Mission, Vision and Values statement etc etc and just see how far they will go to mock things and long it is before they give up on you....

As long as you sound sincere and more importantly like you are still willing (ie scammable) I reckon you could have a bit of fun 419.com stylee
Old Dec 19th 2012, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Welivehere
Also now you know and were you so inclined you could turn the tables on these guys and waste their time for a bit. Ask to see a copy of the trade license and then pictures of the site / house, then an org chart, hen contract, Mission, Vision and Values statement etc etc and just see how far they will go to mock things and long it is before they give up on you....

As long as you sound sincere and more importantly like you are still willing (ie scammable) I reckon you could have a bit of fun 419.com stylee
Ha, that does sound like fun but I think I'd be better off putting my time into sorting my career. It's a full-time job in itself!

I'm just waiting on the scammers to get back to my last email. Then I'll post the name of the company in the hope that someone else doesn't fall for it. I'm sure they'll just change their name & job description and reappear though.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Equestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud of

Thanks Ash,

These 2 events are the largest in the region for Energy and Oil & Gas. Check the exhibitor lists to see the big players out here. Might help, or even might be good just to familiarise yourself with the current hot topics in both industries.

http://www.worldfutureenergysummit.com

http://www.adipec.com

Good luck!
Old Dec 19th 2012, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

Equestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Welivehere

brilliant idea! Love it!
Old Dec 19th 2012, 10:08 am
Just Joined

hthoria is an unknown quantity at this point

This is CERTAINLY a scam
Old Dec 19th 2012, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Equestra
These 2 events are the largest in the region for Energy and Oil & Gas. Check the exhibitor lists to see the big players out here. Might help, or even might be good just to familiarise yourself with the current hot topics in both industries.

http://www.worldfutureenergysummit.com

http://www.adipec.com

Good luck!
Thanks for that, I'll check it out.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

hthoria is an unknown quantity at this point

Having send numerous CVs around the planet, I've just received an attractive job offer from a construction company in Doha.

The thing is, all I did was send them my CV and a short cover letter. No interview, no questions, just a straight offer of a job as an Electrical Engineer.

The other thing is, I am not due to finish my degree until May 2013. I have done work experience placements over the last two summers & am also a qualified electrician but I have no graduate engineering experience.

Is this too good to be true or is it normal behaviour in the Middle East? From what I've read on BE, Arabs normally only conduct business over the telephone if meeting in person is not possible, and a prompt email response is rare. I sent my CV yesterday evening and got an email with the offer this morning. You wouldn't get that kind of efficiency in Germany!

Am I being overly cautious?
Where did you send your CV?
Old Dec 19th 2012, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hthoria
Where did you send your CV?
I emailed it to an address ending in @qatar.io

It has my name, address, phone number, college details on it.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

I emailed it to an address ending in @qatar.io

It has my name, address, phone number, college details on it.
io is the internet country code for the British Indian Ocean Territories, so it looks as if the whole thing is a pile of shit.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by OleJanx
io is the internet country code for the British Indian Ocean Territories, so it looks as if the whole thing is a pile of shit.
So it seems

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.