Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Job Offer email from Qatar - Scam??

Job Offer email from Qatar - Scam??

Old Dec 18th 2012, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

lledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nice
Default Job Offer email from Qatar - Scam??

Having send numerous CVs around the planet, I've just received an attractive job offer from a construction company in Doha.

The thing is, all I did was send them my CV and a short cover letter. No interview, no questions, just a straight offer of a job as an Electrical Engineer.

The other thing is, I am not due to finish my degree until May 2013. I have done work experience placements over the last two summers & am also a qualified electrician but I have no graduate engineering experience.

Is this too good to be true or is it normal behaviour in the Middle East? From what I've read on BE, Arabs normally only conduct business over the telephone if meeting in person is not possible, and a prompt email response is rare. I sent my CV yesterday evening and got an email with the offer this morning. You wouldn't get that kind of efficiency in Germany!

Am I being overly cautious?
Old Dec 18th 2012, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Ash786 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job Offer email from Qatar - Scam??

No interview, no questions - sounds iffy to me.

Normally jobs in the ME ask for significant years experience. It's rare for someone with little or no experience to get a job here (not that I'm knocking the experience that you have got so far).

Have they sent you a contract? what are the T&C's? Do the company have a website? A quick phone call to them may be in order and obviously don't divulge any personal info.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

lledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ash786

Normally jobs in the ME ask for significant years experience. It's rare for someone with little or no experience to get a job here (not that I'm knocking the experience that you have got so far).

Have they sent you a contract? what are the T&C's? Do the company have a website? A quick phone call to them may be in order and obviously don't divulge any personal info.
Hi. Thanks for your reply.

I did say in the cover letter that I have five year's experience in the Irish construction industry (which is my experience as an electrician).

I can't find a website for them, which worries me. They do have a Linkedin page though. And the email contained phone & fax details.

Also, salary was given in Euro rather than local currency which I thought odd.

This is the text of the letter:

We thank you for your interest in working with us XYZ Engineering LLC. we wish to inform you that your CV has been received and reviewed by our department after which we found the available post of Electrical Engineer, for you, your Job application file with reference number 123. monthly salary amount is 123Euros.

Benefits:

The company will provide free accommodation ,Insurance (NIN) ,Tax Free and many more benefit you will see in your Appointment Letter.

Working Schedule:
Working Days & time: Monday to Friday: 8:00 AM - 5:00PM.

Contract Period: 2 Years contract and it can be extended if only you
wish to remain with our company

Vacation : 6 months on/1 month off (fully paid vacation)

As a notice of acceptance of job offer , we shall send you appointment and invitation letter for you to sign and return the sign copy back to us for record purpose . so therefore kindly let us know if you are satisfy with the salary rate above in order for us to proceed further.

We await to hear from you ASAP.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 12:33 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Normal rules don't apply out here.

Normally I'd want to attend an interview, since its an opportunity for both sides to ask questions. However, if you know the company and are happy to work for them without an interview, and if the offer they've sent you includes all the details you need, then I don't really see a problem. But that second "if" is a big one: make sure everything's in writing and is clear.

One thing I couldn't fully understand: you're a qualified sparky but you've only done placements. Is that right? Or did you qualify as a sparky first, then decide to do a full-time degree?
Old Dec 18th 2012, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ash786

I meant to say the email also gave a company address in Doha.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 12:37 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

My previous post was being typed while your's was being posted. The only thing I'd be nervous about is that they don't have a website--you need to be certain of who you'd be working for. You could ask for a copy of their trade licence.

You also need to verify what sort of accommodation. Sharing a room with 13 Pakistanis in a labour camp might not be the international experience you were expecting.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Normal rules don't apply out here.

Normally I'd want to attend an interview, since its an opportunity for both sides to ask questions. However, if you know the company and are happy to work for them without an interview, and if the offer they've sent you includes all the details you need, then I don't really see a problem. But that second "if" is a big one: make sure everything's in writing and is clear.

One thing I couldn't fully understand: you're a qualified sparky but you've only done placements. Is that right? Or did you qualify as a sparky first, then decide to do a full-time degree?
Hi, thanks for your post.

My instinct says it's dodgy but I might as well check it out as it could be a great opportunity. Maybe it's just the way they operate there and I'm judging them on what I'm used to.

I won't be handing over any personal info until I've fully checked it out though.

Sorry if I was a bit unclear. I'm a fully qualified electrician, having completed a four year apprenticeship in Ireland. I then worked as a sparky for one year and since then have been studying full-time.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

Ash786 is an unknown quantity at this point

The other thing i noticed is that your working week would be Mon-Fri. Friday ususally forms part of the weekend in the ME, either Thursday-Friday or Friday-Saturday, so that looks a bit suspect

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workweek_and_weekend

Tricky one this, but i can only suggest you ask a few more questions before deciding. Aside from the accom, ask how/when you will paid and details of terminating the contract if you or they wanted to
Old Dec 18th 2012, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

My previous post was being typed while your's was being posted. The only thing I'd be nervous about is that they don't have a website--you need to be certain of who you'd be working for. You could ask for a copy of their trade licence.

You also need to verify what sort of accommodation. Sharing a room with 13 Pakistanis in a labour camp might not be the international experience you were expecting.
Good idea regarding the trade licence. That could be one to hit them with if/when they get back to me. I emailed them the following questions:

What is the job description? What would I be likely to be doing from day to day?
Does your company provide training for this role?
Where is the job located? Is it in Doha? Will it be in the same location every day? Is transport provided?
What accommodation is offered? Will it be sufficient for myself and my wife?
What is the starting date of this position?

The international experience I'm after doesn't involve sharing a room with 13 of any nationality!

I'd be a little less suspect if the job was a graduate engineering role.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 1:03 pm
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by lledlledlled
Good idea regarding the trade licence. That could be one to hit them with if/when they get back to me. I emailed them the following questions:

What is the job description? What would I be likely to be doing from day to day?
Does your company provide training for this role?
Where is the job located? Is it in Doha? Will it be in the same location every day? Is transport provided?
What accommodation is offered? Will it be sufficient for myself and my wife?
What is the starting date of this position?

The international experience I'm after doesn't involve sharing a room with 13 of any nationality!

I'd be a little less suspect if the job was a graduate engineering role.
Sound like the right questions--which should all be dealt with in the Offer Letter / T&C.

I have one further question: just how pissed were you when you came up with your username? I've said that word many times, but not once intentionally.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

Sound like the right questions--which should all be dealt with in the Offer Letter / T&C.

I have one further question: just how pissed were you when you came up with your username? I've said that word many times, but not once intentionally.
Yeah I guess I'll just forget about it if they don't email me back.

Username is a long story!
Old Dec 18th 2012, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

Ok, I've received a reply from these guys. I'm no more or no less assured really. Here it is:

We want to use this opportunity to congratulate you for accepting to join us, you should be aware that we are employing as a Electrical Engineer to perform your duty in Assembling electrical and electronic systems and prototypes according to engineering data and knowledge of electrical principles, using hand tools and measuring instruments,Visit construction sites to observe conditions impacting design and to identify solutions to technical design problems involving electrical systems equipment that arise during construction,Evaluate engineering proposals, shop drawings and design comments for sound electrical engineering practice and conformance with established safety and design criteria, and recommend approval or disapproval,

2. You will be on one month training on your arrival,
3.Job is located at Doha not the same location every day depending on the project,with free transportation.
4.We provide three bedroom furnished apartment
5. as soon as you have sign and completed all the document with us.

Before we proceed further attach in this mail is your job interview questionnaire this will help us in verifying your Qualification and processing of your contract Appointment letter, We therefore advice you to view attach in this mail and answer the above question and return it back to us for further process.

It sounds like one hell of an opportunity if it's genuine. I'll send him another email & ask about a few more details regarding company website, contracts, and details of terminating contract. I don't want to ask straight out for their trading licence yet. I know it'd go a long way to easing my fears but it might look a bit cheeky if they are being genuine. It could even scupper the job offer.

It's a bit weird that he's congratulating me on accepting the offer when I haven't accepted it yet. Is he being too eager? I was under the impression that things move excruciatingly slowly in the Arab world. This is fast by any standards!

The end of their mail says that they've attached a "job interview questionnaire" which will help them "in verifying your Qualification and processing of your contract Appointment letter". When I read this I thought that this was only the start and that all I'd been offered so far was the opportunity to apply for a job. I was actually relieved that this wasn't a scam and the process was only beginning now, which still might be the case. If so, they sure use confusing language. Also, when I opened the attached questionnaire there are no questions regarding my work experience or qualifications. Is it possible that they are satisfied with what they've read from my CV and see little point in duplicating these answers? The questions they ask seem to be geared at determining if I'd settle well in the Middle East.

Maybe I'm being overly cautious because I didn't expect a position as an Electrical Engineer with just my trade experience. Maybe this is just what they are after, but the money they are offering seems really good so I don't see why they wouldn't look for someone with a few years engineering experience.

Am I being conned or being paranoid?
Old Dec 18th 2012, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

neil_95051 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lledlledlled
Having send numerous CVs around the planet, I've just received an attractive job offer from a construction company in Doha.

The thing is, all I did was send them my CV and a short cover letter. No interview, no questions, just a straight offer of a job as an Electrical Engineer.

The other thing is, I am not due to finish my degree until May 2013. I have done work experience placements over the last two summers & am also a qualified electrician but I have no graduate engineering experience.

Is this too good to be true or is it normal behaviour in the Middle East? From what I've read on BE, Arabs normally only conduct business over the telephone if meeting in person is not possible, and a prompt email response is rare. I sent my CV yesterday evening and got an email with the offer this morning. You wouldn't get that kind of efficiency in Germany!

Am I being overly cautious?

check it out - http://archive.feedblitz.com/504578/~3931582
Also note : googling is still free
Old Dec 18th 2012, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by neil_95051
check it out - http://archive.feedblitz.com/504578/~3931582
Also note : googling is still free
Thanks for your post.

Looks like it is a hoax then. Should have known from the offer without phone call, lack of work experience, etc... I suppose it's tempting to believe in something if you really want it to be true!

Is there any hope of me getting a job in the Middle East? I'm thinking that my best route would be to get Oil industry experience in the UK & then try.

Not sure what you mean by googling still being free.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 8:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

If you take the bait, the next step will be to ask yoiu for a "visa processing fee" or similar.

This is CERTAINLY a scam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.