Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Job offer in Dubai - advice on salary vs costs please

Job offer in Dubai - advice on salary vs costs please

Old Apr 18th 2013, 5:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Job offer in Dubai - advice on salary vs costs please

Originally Posted by InDubnial
Desertman, Scamp, Millhouse - thank you for your replies.

Excluding aspects of the proposed and my current package that are similar (healthcare, for example), the proposed is 30k AED (circa £5.3k) versus current inc company pension of £3.9k (circa 22k AED). A 36% uplift, and tax free.

I also get a bonus currently of around £6-7k (in addition to the above). Bonus potential in Dubai is £16k. Apparently, they have paid the full bonus to management in the last three years.

The job excites me and has opportunity for advancement. But I am afraid these school fees will, as Desertman says, kill me.
Current income of 3.9k I assume is nett?

SO:

3,900 GBP
you then pay to rent, that must be 1,000
you then pay for a car, that maybe is 250
so you have 2650 left to spend on hookers, beer, cocaine and other fun stuff.

In Dubai, your offer = 30,000, @ 5.6 = 5,357 GBP

Let's stay in dizzers though:

30,000 (monthly, all below are rough monthly)
- 12,000 accomm
- 6250 schooling
- 3000 car
- 2000 flights
----------
6,750 remaining = 1205 GBP

You would technically be around 12-1500 GBP worse off.

SO:

What you need to do is work out what you want that figure at the bottom to be for living in Dubai. If you want the same, ask for that, plus about 25,000 AED for living costs. If you want double, ask for that, plus about 25,000 for living costs.

If you ask for the same, 2650 GBP then you will need an offer of 39,840 to achieve it.

If you want to save 1,000 a month for the house deposit then you need an offer of 45,440 AED to do so.

I know nothing about IT, but just be cautious because if it's not a big name firm then they're likely to employ an Indian on a helluva lot less than 30k.

GOod luck pal
Old Apr 18th 2013, 5:59 am
Just Joined

InDubnial is an unknown quantity at this point

Scamp, yours maths looks spot on. However, the UK figure I quoted is gross. Net is around 2500 (once you include the value of the company pension). I still pay childcare out of that too!
The Dubai living expenses you quote are too rich for our tastes. We plan on a large 2-bed apartment for the first year until we are settled, spending around 7-8k a month not 12k. And 2.5k for a car. Flights are in the package.
Do you think it looks better now?
Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 6:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Scamp

3,900 GBP = 2500 Nett
you then pay to rent, that must be 1,000
you then pay for a car, that maybe is 250
so you have 1250 left to spend on CHILDCARE (cost?) hookers, beer, cocaine and other fun stuff.

In Dubai, your offer = 30,000, @ 5.6 = 5,357 GBP

Let's stay in dizzers though:

30,000 (monthly, all below are rough monthly)
- 8,000 accomm
- 6250 schooling
- 2500 car - You can spend less; I spend 1500 for my Ford Explorer (loan payment) + 3500 annually for insurance + 3000 for services + 1500 for tyres (every two years probably) = 1800 / 2000 per month, stick to 2500 to be sensible.
----------
13250 remaining = 2366 GBP

You would technically be about twice as well off at the same point (IE: house paid, car paid, kids in school)

SO:

You will live on 13,000 a month, but it will be tight (I guess, I don't have kids) - how old are your kids?

I assume with the 1200 ish left in the UK you live nicely but can't go crazy spending all the time.

On 13,000 that is 3,250 per week which should be fine.

If I were you I'd target the above costs + 17 / 20,000 in your pocket, so let's say:

16,750 + 18,000 (eg) = 34,750.

Get somewhere like 35 and you'll be more comfortable.

NOTE; if your wife gets a part time job paying 10-12000 a month, you'll be laughing...
Sorry mate but you're going to have to re-read all of this.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget the good lady, your bit is easy, you're at work and although it's challenging it's still work. She will soon be sick of being stuck in an apartment

Depending on where you live vs school your wife can spend a large part of the day being a taxi. Will you need 1 car or 2 ? If she does get a job who picks and drops the kids and what will she do to earn 10-12k ? It's not that easy.

Entertaining kids is bloody expensive too, football lessons, swimming etc etc all add up
Old Apr 18th 2013, 7:44 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Sandboy
Don't forget the good lady, your bit is easy, you're at work and although it's challenging it's still work. She will soon be sick of being stuck in an apartment

Depending on where you live vs school your wife can spend a large part of the day being a taxi. Will you need 1 car or 2 ? If she does get a job who picks and drops the kids and what will she do to earn 10-12k ? It's not that easy.

Entertaining kids is bloody expensive too, football lessons, swimming etc etc all add up
InDubnial: These are the things that I, a kid-less wonder, know nothing about so definitely take note of this.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Millhouse - we rent a lovely 3 bed semi with reasonable garden in the London suburbs. We want to save for a house purchase but it's proving difficult here.
Moving to a flat in the Marina will feel like you are in prision. We moved from house with large garden in London to a flat in AD. While the flat was huge (my son would ride his bike in it) - I've never felt cabin fever like it.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
InDubnial: These are the things that I, a kid-less wonder, know nothing about so definitely take note of this.
only staff issues I ever had was with wives being bored - hubby goes off to work and she thinks she's going to sunbathe by the pool all day but it wears off very quickly

no mates and no family to support them they turn into 24/7 child minders and they can end up driving miles to try and keep them amused

* after 10 years my Mrs had the salon / coffee / lunch / exercise routine off to a tee but the first couple of years are tough
Old Apr 18th 2013, 12:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandboy
only staff issues I ever had was with wives being bored - hubby goes off to work and she thinks she's going to sunbathe by the pool all day but it wears off very quickly

no mates and no family to support them they turn into 24/7 child minders and they can end up driving miles to try and keep them amused

* after 10 years my Mrs had the salon / coffee / lunch / exercise routine off to a tee but the first couple of years are tough
send them to work. I'm always amused by those that 'refuse to work for that money' then moan they are bored.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

Guys, to be clear - my wife will be working full time.

I'm more concerned to ensure that my kids spend plenty of family time with us.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 3:52 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

In a 2 bed appt with 2 kids and working fulltime you'll go mental
Old Apr 18th 2013, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guys, to be clear - my wife will be working full time.

I'm more concerned to ensure that my kids spend plenty of family time with us.
what about dropping and collecting from school ?
Old Apr 18th 2013, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Millhouse
send them to work. I'm always amused by those that 'refuse to work for that money' then moan they are bored.
most do in the end, the first year is the hardest
Old Apr 18th 2013, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
In a 2 bed appt with 2 kids and working fulltime you'll go mental
It's pretty mental now in a 3-bed for the same reasons!

Space-wise looking at dubizzle a dubai 2-bed looks to be the same as we have now
Old Apr 19th 2013, 4:07 am
Account Closed

Space-wise looking at dubizzle a dubai 2-bed looks to be the same as we have now
Just get a big one? Exec Towers where I live are huge. My one bed is 50% bigger than the norm
Old Apr 19th 2013, 5:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

2 kids in a 2-bed flat will still cause issues. If the kids are in and out of the garden all of the time at home then they won't appreciate the flat. Also don't underestimate the psychological difference of 'going upstairs' vs. to the 'other room'.

The difference is that in the UK you want to stay inside - it is dark and raining. Here you look out, see sunshine and want to go outside. You can't do that in a flat.

Look at Motor City, large low rise flats, cheap as chips and they have massive balconies and good common areas... or the ground floors of The Greens. Leave the Marina/JBR to Scamps of this world.

What will your wife do? There is no part time work here and it'll take a least a year to find something. Salaries are low too for casual jobs.

Last edited by Millhouse; Apr 19th 2013 at 5:30 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.