Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Job offer in Dubai - advice on salary vs costs please

Job offer in Dubai - advice on salary vs costs please

Old Apr 6th 2013, 11:17 am
Just Joined

InDubnial is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Job offer in Dubai - advice on salary vs costs please

Hi to all, this will be my maiden post!

I've done loads of reading on here the last few days about salaries (read some fantastic advice to many job hunters) and have just received an offer, which I am contemplating so I thought it time to post...

The job is as an IT Project Manager with line management accountabilities, based in Dubai.

I have a family of two young children and a wife who will be coming with me.

Primarily, we are coming for the opportunities this role provides which is a step up for me in terms of scope and salary (even before tax in UK), and secondary to that is actually saving money.

We want to enjoy a good quality of life but we are not extravagant. However, I am aware that temperatures for 4-5 months of the year are unpleasant for children to play outside and I am determined that my kids do not suffer for my ambition and are not permanently stuck in the apartment outside school hours for lack of money.

My wife will work however I do not want to rely upon her income and based on advertised salaries I guess that she could earn maybe AED12-14k/pm tops, but I am only banking on 10k. If I accepted the offer we would start looking for her job at that point.

The offer is 30k/pm all in – that figure includes the allowance for schooling and accommodation. The usual UAE benefits apply including healthcare and flights home for all once per year, and there is a non-guaranteed annual bonus of about 20% (which I do not want to rely upon). It seems perhaps a lowball salary to me on the merits of the role alone – and definitely a challenge with a school-age family. As my wife would work, we would also have to pay for transport to/from school and possibly some additional childcare until my wife got home. I would be away a lot so could not be relied upon to support with childcare at all – so my wife would probably appreciate a maid to lift the cleaning/washing etc burden.

So,
Is 30k a good salary for a Brit as a mid-level IT project manager in Dubai?
Is 30k + 10k enough to have a good life as above and save a bit?

Am I in denial to even consider this offer? OR am I actually setting expectations too high in the current climate?

Sorry for the length but wanted to give some information to help with any advice anyone is able to give? Many thanks indeed in advance for any views on the above!
Old Apr 6th 2013, 12:27 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Job offer in Dubai - advice on salary vs costs please

Welcome to the bored.

So you're looking at 360,000 per year.

Take a look at the expenses, you'll need 100k/year minimum for an apartment, the same again for 2 x school fees in one of the Gems schools (for example) - if you can get them in of course. Then a car/petrol/insurance will set you back a further 24k, internet will add 6k, food will be 36,000 (minimum).

So that leaves just under 100k, sounds a lot - around £14,000 or £1,200/month. That's with no going out or little luxuries.

It's doable, but tight.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks Kix for your trouble.

I've used a couple of spreadsheets available on expat forums to calculate expenses , that's what I see too. Spreadsheets are great but can only tell me so much and it's the 'feel' from the expats like yourself as to what it's really like in the day to day or hidden costs that I'm after the most - so thanks.

You say 100k min for an apartment, I've seen ones that look pretty good at the Jumeirah Lake Towers for only 70-80k, am I missing something? Is this not a good location?

Thanks again.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

desertman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kix

It's doable, but tight.
I would add it's tight on the savings side but generally you can have good life with that package. Check your private messages...I have sent you PM.

Just recently accepted similar position...and went trough same calculations etc...
Old Apr 6th 2013, 1:21 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

JLT had a very spectacular fire in one of the apartment blocks last year. The problem being that many blocks in Dubai are clad in non fire retardant materials.
If you're in an apartment block where are the kids going to play? You mention that you don't want them stuck in but you've not factored in a cost for outside playgroups and transporting there and back.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

Thanks desertman - this being my third post I think I will be able to view the PM now!
Old Apr 6th 2013, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by InDubnial
Thanks desertman - this being my third post I think I will be able to view the PM now!
I think you need to have minimum 5 posts before you can send PM...not sure if you can read PM's before you have your 5 posts done...

You can try to use MoneyManagerEX...it's free budget planning/cost tracking tool available for XP,Visa, Windows 7.....

Last edited by desertman; Apr 6th 2013 at 1:52 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikewot
JLT had a very spectacular fire in one of the apartment blocks last year. The problem being that many blocks in Dubai are clad in non fire retardant materials.
If you're in an apartment block where are the kids going to play? You mention that you don't want them stuck in but you've not factored in a cost for outside playgroups and transporting there and back.
ohhh...that doesn't inspire me but appreciate the info..
Old Apr 16th 2013, 12:12 am
Just Joined

Thanks for replies so far - does anyone have anything else to add please as I'm now under pressure to accept or decline? Have tried negotiating but not looking good. Think I may have to decline as concerned about costs exceeding income, which is a real shame as the job looks awesome and would really support my career.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 3:46 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Only one person can make the decision. As our American cousins would say it's time to sh1t or get off the pot.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by InDubnial
Thanks for replies so far - does anyone have anything else to add please as I'm now under pressure to accept or decline? Have tried negotiating but not looking good. Think I may have to decline as concerned about costs exceeding income, which is a real shame as the job looks awesome and would really support my career.
Stay firm with them...schooling costs for 2 kids will "kill" you at the end of the month...+ generally school fees increase each year 2 fold....your kid goes to higher grade which costs more than previous grade + every grade get's more expensive each year....

Companies here don't tend to increase your salary every year so you might end up after 3 years in "minus"....or forced to scale back your expenses and reduce family living standard....

ask them for minimum 35k pm + school fees or 40k without school fees...minimum!
Old Apr 16th 2013, 5:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

What is your current package where you are now?

I'll give you an idea on what I reckon from that.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
What is your current package where you are now?

I'll give you an idea on what I reckon from that.
Very good point. What do you have now? Nice house with massive garden in the suburbs or some squalid flat in the city? The package is tight, so you need to assess what you are leaving behind.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

Desertman, Scamp, Millhouse - thank you for your replies.

Excluding aspects of the proposed and my current package that are similar (healthcare, for example), the proposed is 30k AED (circa £5.3k) versus current inc company pension of £3.9k (circa 22k AED). A 36% uplift, and tax free.

I also get a bonus currently of around £6-7k (in addition to the above). Bonus potential in Dubai is £16k. Apparently, they have paid the full bonus to management in the last three years.

The job excites me and has opportunity for advancement. But I am afraid these school fees will, as Desertman says, kill me.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

Millhouse - we rent a lovely 3 bed semi with reasonable garden in the London suburbs. We want to save for a house purchase but it's proving difficult here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.