British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   ME Job Discussions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/)
-   -   Job offer Doha (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/job-offer-doha-928050/)

Dbx365 Sep 22nd 2019 12:47 pm

Job offer Doha

Hello all,

I've been offered a role in Doha with a monthly salary of 30,000 inclusive of accommodation and transport. I'm from Montreal, is this a good salary (its a managerial role). How much you will go into rent and food? Any insights will be appreciated.

Cheers, Dbx

Millhouse Sep 22nd 2019 1:43 pm

Re: Job offer Doha

Originally Posted by Dbx365 (Post 12738267)
Hello all,

I've been offered a role in Doha with a monthly salary of 30,000 inclusive of accommodation and transport. I'm from Montreal, is this a good salary (its a managerial role). How much you will go into rent and food? Any insights will be appreciated.

Cheers, Dbx

what are you managing?

Dbx365 Sep 22nd 2019 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12738280)
what are you managing?

Its a Project Manager role

fth Sep 22nd 2019 7:16 pm

Will you move with wife and kids?

Dbx365 Sep 23rd 2019 3:28 am

I'm single no wife no kids

co durham boy Sep 23rd 2019 5:01 am

Loads of variables in this such as who you are working for , project , time frame , obviously personal circumstance which are relative . It could be great or it could be shit if one of those variables is out .

Basically Qatar is shit but if you tick the boxes you can earn good cash and make it worthwhile for yourself . More detail required

DXBtoDOH Sep 25th 2019 6:00 pm

Yeah, it's decent for a single.

How much you save is wholly up to you. You can find a room in a nice flatshare in West Bay, all inclusive, for 5k a month, and budget another 5k a month on food and entertainment and uber/taxis. If you work in West Bay you'll save a fortune on transportation costs. It won't be hard to set aside 20k each month to send home. I lived on 10k a month and was more than comfortable and when I left Qatar after two years I had racked up substantial savings.

ut if you want the lavish lifestyle + your own flat, you can easily spend 20k a month. Depends on priorities.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 26th 2019 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Dbx365 (Post 12738287)
Its a Project Manager role

Project Managing what? Please don't say anything relating to communications.

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12740080)
Yeah, it's decent for a single.

How much you save is wholly up to you. You can find a room in a nice flatshare in West Bay, all inclusive, for 5k a month, and budget another 5k a month on food and entertainment and uber/taxis. If you work in West Bay you'll save a fortune on transportation costs. It won't be hard to set aside 20k each month to send home. I lived on 10k a month and was more than comfortable and when I left Qatar after two years I had racked up substantial savings.

ut if you want the lavish lifestyle + your own flat, you can easily spend 20k a month. Depends on priorities.

Ignore this guy, he buy second hand pants and only eats free samples from the supermarket.
Your credit card bill should be at least 20,000 a month or you don't belong in the region.

Dbx365 Sep 26th 2019 10:32 am

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will be working for a Consultancy firm there and during the initial conversations i asked for 35 to 40k per month. Will push back and ask for at least 35k as i believe cost of living is going to take a huge chunk of what they are offering at the moment.

Millhouse Sep 26th 2019 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12740350)
Project Managing what?

I thought the same and concluded it was spreadsheets.

nottmbantam Oct 1st 2019 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12740451)

I thought the same and concluded it was spreadsheets.

It's all "Gantt Charts and deliverables" these days isn't it?

scrubbedexpat141 Oct 1st 2019 10:21 am

Originally Posted by nottmbantam (Post 12742737)
It's all "Gantt Charts and deliverables" these days isn't it?

It's all 'stakeholders' and 'digital transformation' at the moment.

nottmbantam Oct 1st 2019 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12742776)
It's all 'stakeholders' and 'digital transformation' at the moment.

Ah yes, thank the Lord I don't have to work with 'Project Managers' these days. Complete set of delinquents. Almost as bad as Internal Auditors.

Pongo Oct 1st 2019 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by nottmbantam (Post 12742844)
Ah yes, thank the Lord I don't have to work with 'Project Managers' these days. Complete set of delinquents. Almost as bad as Internal Auditors.

Up there with Financial Advisors and Personal Trainers

nottmbantam Oct 2nd 2019 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Pongo (Post 12742867)

Up there with Financial Advisors and Personal Trainers

Good call on Financial Advisors. Probably on par with Estate Agents and Solicitors.