Job Offer

Old Feb 9th 2021, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

rsyy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job Offer

Hi Forum

I have been offered a job in Dubai with a salary of 40AED per month all-inclusive (could negotiate to a bit higher). the company will pay for the healthcare cost.
Currently, I am based in north-west of UK with a salary of £85K.

The take-home money is much higher with the Dubai offer due to tax free but I understand that the cost in Dubai is also higher.

We are a family of four with two kids (6 year and 1 year). One to go to primary school and one need to go nursery. My partner currently has a job in the UK with a salary of 36K, whether she can find a job in Dubai is unknown, we are looking at the opportunity for her in Dubai too.

If we are looking at a reasonably comfortable life there and send the kids to private school or nursery. And also want to have a decent saving. Would the offer be worth considering or is it a nogoer?

We have never been to Dubai before and would appreciate any advice from this forum. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by rsyy; Feb 9th 2021 at 10:40 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2021, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

psychopomp1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Job Offer

If you've never been to to Dubai/UAE/Gulf before then its a risky move, it can be a culture shock to many. On the other hand, you may love it, though the Summer heat can be very oppressive especially in Aug-Oct when the humidity often goes above 90% on the coastal areas.

Re: salary, you and your partner are currently bringing home around £7100 in total after tax each month. Which is about AED 36000 based on the current exchange rate. There's no guarantee your other half will find well paid employment in UAE, so if you're the sole earner then that 40000 isn't that great relative to what you and your missus are earning now in UK. Don't forget that school fees also have to be paid from that 40k. Its doable but you wouldn't be able to save much.
Old Feb 10th 2021, 10:48 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

If you do take it, definitely go out on your own for 6 months before bringing the family over, to get the lie of the land. You might not like the place, the job etc and they might not like you.

Have you considered being there on your own full-time. I'd be concerned about the single salary that looks like a lot on paper, but soon gets eaten up with school fees, and generally higher living costs.

Live there on your own though and you could easily bank a shit load of cash dependant on your own vices or lack of.
Old Feb 10th 2021, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Whether your wife can find a job depends on what she does and her quals.

All in all, I wouldn't think your current offer is worth it. You're probably looking at 100k a year in fees.

Subtract the fees from the 40k a month. Your family can live off the remainder. It won't be flash and you'll likely spend every penny. But you won't be better off than you currently are.

If you get 40k plus school fees, then the equation does change.
Old Feb 10th 2021, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Not a good deal. School fees are a killer.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

rsyy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Gents. Thank you all for the response and advice. I have just negotiated the offer to 50K/month ( including allowance for housing and school) . Would this change the equation a bit? We are looking for jobs for my wife as well. If she can get a job of 15-20K AED per month, Would it be worth us considering moving? One great concern we have is the quality of the education there. The kids are in a very good outstanding rated public primary school in the UK, we are thinking what the impact of their education.

Sorry for these basic questions as we want to gather as much information as possible before making the decision.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

SandyMcSand is an unknown quantity at this point

I pay 50k a year plus extras for my son’s primary school (year 1). Teaching is hit and miss and definitely not worth what we pay. Don’t be fooled by British teachers bring thrusted in front of you, they certainly aren’t the cream of the crop and some of them are genuinely stupid.

The extras do add up so factor in additional costs.

The salary being offered is good and you won’t starve that’s for sure. I’d factor in any costs you have back in the U.K., debts, mortgage etc as well.

If your wife has a degree or considerable experience in an in demand sector then you should easily be able to meet that salary. Without a degree you’re looking at 5k mark and maybe less.

I am sure you can survive and potentially live well on 50k.