Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Job market in UAE - It's been a while

Job market in UAE - It's been a while

Old Mar 16th 2016, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job market in UAE - It's been a while

I'm going to have to side with County Durham Boy. There was a few months when it looked like we were rapidly heading for another crash akin to the 2008-2009 bust, but despite the slowdown and oil prices I'm starting to think it's not going to happen. Things are tight but it's not a crash. The governments are moving forward with big projects, they've just scaled back on the number of projects. And rents are still high and show no signs of softening. I'm on the consultancy side and I still get contacted by recruiters weekly for roles in both big and small firms.

But if you do land back in the Middle East, always be pragmatic and frugal and save as much as you can. It's still a place where things can change dramatically, for you if not for the place, overnight.
Old Apr 5th 2016, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute

For people reading this who are actually in the UAE now, how is the jobs market?

I've never worked there but am seriously considering moving out there (in banking). Has hiring been affected where you work, and what sector is that?
Old Apr 6th 2016, 5:32 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

This is a recorded announcement as I’m afraid we’re all out at the moment. The commercial council of UAE thanks you for your esteemed visit, but regrets that the entire country is closed for business. Thank you. If you would like to leave your name, and a country where you can be contacted, kindly speak when you hear the tone [Beep]
Old Apr 6th 2016, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute

Ah - So that sounds not so good. :-(

I was approached about a role in banking back in January. Did a couple of interviews and I thought I did alright. Since then it has gone veeeeery quiet. No next step, but no rejection either. Even the agent isn't returning my emails. Doesn't sound too positive...
Old Apr 6th 2016, 10:10 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

We would like to assure you that as soon as our business is resumed, announcements will be made in all fashionable magazines and colour supplements when our clients will once again be able to select from all that’s best in contemporary anything. Meanwhile we thank our clients for their kind interest and would ask them to leave. Now.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 10:21 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

Hmmmmphh....

Its been over 4 years since I last used this reference on the Bored.. I was perhaps a little too obvious last time, but I kinda expected someone to pick up on it.....

If I tell you my next post would have been ...

It is most gratifying that your enthusiasm for our country continues unabated. And so we would like to assure you that the guided missiles currently converging with your mode of transport are part of a special service we extend to all of our most enthusiastic clients… And the fully armed nuclear warheads are, of course, merely a courtesy detail. We look forward to your custom in future lives. Thank you.

Anyone......????
Old Apr 7th 2016, 7:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dominoman
For people reading this who are actually in the UAE now, how is the jobs market?

I've never worked there but am seriously considering moving out there (in banking). Has hiring been affected where you work, and what sector is that?
It's not that healthy in banking (job cuts are happening) but it's not the Singapore bloodbath (yet) either.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

What's going on in Singapore?

Originally Posted by Millhouse
It's not that healthy in banking (job cuts are happening) but it's not the Singapore bloodbath (yet) either.