Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Job market in UAE - It's been a while

Job market in UAE - It's been a while

Old Mar 6th 2016, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light
Default Job market in UAE - It's been a while

So I left in 2009 and spent about 18 months in Abu Dhabi in the construction sector. I am now painfully unemployed in Australia as our economy has gone to shit. I was earning about 26-28k inclusive when I was there last. Have only just started reapplying and stating in my cover letter that I intend to visit this month to attend interviews.

Be direct and tell me whether you think an Aussie should come back and try for work again? I have a partner (We met in UAE) and a non school aged daughter now with her.
Old Mar 6th 2016, 1:21 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job market in UAE - It's been a while

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld
Be direct and tell me whether you think an Aussie should come back and try for work again? I have a partner (We met in UAE) and a non school aged daughter now with her.
It's tanking, forget it.
Old Mar 6th 2016, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light

Tanking is better than tanked (Australia)...
Old Mar 6th 2016, 1:42 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Hhhhmmmm so did you come on here to only read things which fit your world view or did you come seeking advice?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-...siness-868679/
Old Mar 6th 2016, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'm in a pretty dire situation and wanted honest viewpoints. I will also respond to those, as people usually tend to do in conversations
Old Mar 6th 2016, 1:48 pm
Account Closed

wanted honest viewpoints. I will also respond to those, as people usually tend to do in conversations
We're all whinging poms on here mate.
Old Mar 6th 2016, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikewot
We're all whinging poms on here mate.
Oh I always forgot that when I used to post here
Old Mar 7th 2016, 3:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Right. So you're in WEstern Aus...that means Perth right?

So you're in mining or heavy civils stuff at the moment or something different?

Be honest - have you been hugely overpaid down there and now have inflated ideas of what you want to earn or are you being sensible?

There are opportunities in the Middle East, just not that many mate. This year is a head-down-arse-up-work-hard kind of year. YOu might find opportunities in KSA / Qatar easier to spot and secure than AD / DXB.

Gulf Talent - update your CV on there.
Linkedin - make sure your profile is tip top
Naukri / Bayt - upload CV as well.
Apply to roles on Linkedin / Gulf Talent too.
Talk to anyone you know who is still here from your time before and see what they can help with.

Good luck
Old Mar 7th 2016, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

So I left in 2009 and spent about 18 months in Abu Dhabi in the construction sector. I am now painfully unemployed in Australia as our economy has gone to shit. I was earning about 26-28k inclusive when I was there last. Have only just started reapplying and stating in my cover letter that I intend to visit this month to attend interviews.

It's not as bad as people make out in construction , the decent firms downscaled from the last big blow out and there's a fair bit of work around . Margins are tight and a lot of people looking for positions.

If you're good enough you'll get a post back in the ME if you're sensible with your expectations .

The O&G boys are getting reemed out though , they've had a good run though , the glory days are over
Old Mar 8th 2016, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks yes I am in Perth. I've been out of work for a year and whilst the salaries have been big, im not chasing big money. I have a family and if I don't find something somewhere soon I'm in for a world of hurt.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks yes I am in Perth. I've been out of work for a year and whilst the salaries have been big, im not chasing big money. I have a family and if I don't find something somewhere soon I'm in for a world of hurt.
Set your sights on Qatar , it's dull but you'll bag something quickly there .
Old Mar 10th 2016, 8:08 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
It's not as bad as people make out in construction , the decent firms downscaled from the last big blow out and there's a fair bit of work around . Margins are tight and a lot of people looking for positions.

If you're good enough you'll get a post back in the ME if you're sensible with your expectations .

The O&G boys are getting reemed out though , they've had a good run though , the glory days are over
I would beg to differ with you on this...

Whilst there is a massive ream out happening, their is a fair amount of that dead wood. This is like a forest fire, clearing the shit..

Those smart enough would have sen it coming, those who thought they were bullet proof, and there are plenty of them, are the ones hurting.

Glory days over? Nope, dont think so, its a market readjustment. We have had them before, and we may have more in the future. But, whilst the demand is there, once the Saudi's and Russians give in, things will move back..
Old Mar 10th 2016, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
I would beg to differ with you on this...

Whilst there is a massive ream out happening, their is a fair amount of that dead wood. This is like a forest fire, clearing the shit..

Those smart enough would have sen it coming, those who thought they were bullet proof, and there are plenty of them, are the ones hurting.

Glory days over? Nope, dont think so, its a market readjustment. We have had them before, and we may have more in the future. But, whilst the demand is there, once the Saudi's and Russians give in, things will move back..
You sound like a politician chief but in all cases we all know there's a cull across the board whichever way you dress it up .
Old Mar 15th 2016, 1:06 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
You sound like a politician chief but in all cases we all know there's a cull across the board whichever way you dress it up .
I didnt claim otherwise.. The reason I moved back to the UAE from the US was coz I saw what was coming. The work Im doing here is probably the best place to be in O&G. Not saying its 100% safe, but when I was determining where the best place to ride out the cull would be, here was top of the list. A lot of good people I know are finding themselves on RIF lists, or are already gone..
Old Mar 15th 2016, 3:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
I didnt claim otherwise.. The reason I moved back to the UAE from the US was coz I saw what was coming. The work Im doing here is probably the best place to be in O&G. Not saying its 100% safe, but when I was determining where the best place to ride out the cull would be, here was top of the list. A lot of good people I know are finding themselves on RIF lists, or are already gone..
I think it's only fair to share your global economic foresight and wisdom with the rest of us.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.