IT Job Market - UAE

Old Feb 26th 2012, 4:55 am
Just Joined

PNM72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IT Job Market - UAE

Hi Everyone - I have spent the last couple of weeks reading all the posts relating to life and jobs in the UAE and thought it was time to step out of the shadows and post some questions of my own!!

I am currently living and working in Melbourne (although originally from the UK) and we have decided that as a family we would like to move back closer to family in the UK - although we do not feel the urge to return to the UK itself! I was raised in Jeddah, Kuwait and Bahrain from the a very young age - my parents lived in the ME for 25 years from the early 70s to the mid 90s - so I have a good feel for the region and the culture. This led us to look at the option of moving to the UAE!

I currently hold a senior management position with one of the large US IT vendors, managing the consulting group for the ANZ region - and was looking for a similar role based out of the UAE....that said I have found even getting a response from agencies impossible and whilst I have a few contacts in the region I am getting the feeling that I am not making much headway.

I would appreciate and pointers as to which agencies may be best to approach - local ones versus overseas ones who cover the region?? I have also read that a large number of the senior jobs never get advertised - is that true? If it is does anyone know of any jobs that let may suit me then please drop me a PM.

Many thanks Paul
Old Feb 27th 2012, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

neil_95051 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IT Job Market - UAE

hi, I am also in similar situation. currently working in US as IT Project Manager in one of the fortune 50 company. planning to move to UAE this year, have registered with all the online job sites and applied in many companies, but response was close to zero.
Now I am told that, I need to be present locally for them to consider me for the interview.planning to take a LOA for a month and try my luck in Dubai this September.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 8:16 am
Just Joined

Christof is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been in the UAE for a few months now with next to no luck. I worked in software development in the UK financial services sector. Had a response from a couple of recruitment agencies and a phone interview with a local company. Luckily my wife has been able to keep us going. Think carefully before making the leap. From what I've read you guys should have more luck as you're pretty senior and I've seen a number of IT Project Management roles over the past few months. Helps if you're PMP qualified.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

neil_95051 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Christof
I've been in the UAE for a few months now with next to no luck. I worked in software development in the UK financial services sector. Had a response from a couple of recruitment agencies and a phone interview with a local company. Luckily my wife has been able to keep us going. Think carefully before making the leap. From what I've read you guys should have more luck as you're pretty senior and I've seen a number of IT Project Management roles over the past few months. Helps if you're PMP qualified.

If you have experience in Software development, you may already have an idea about Business Analysis, try to get a book and browse for any online courses, I don't suggest spending lot of money on Business Analysis course

Try this for tutorial

http://www.businessanalystfaq.com/bu...-tutorials.htm
Old Mar 1st 2012, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

Yeah, did some requirements gathering, process modelling etc as part of the SDLC but want to get more involved with busines process modelling. It's all good doing the self study stuff but nice to have some formal qualifications in these things. Found a week long course at the Kempinski but at 4600 US dollars I might have to give it a miss unfortunately. I guess it'll just have to be online and self study for now. Anyway, thanks for the link!
Old Mar 14th 2012, 9:20 am
Banned

nikkisizer is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: IT Job Market - UAE

Originally Posted by Christof
Hi Christof,

You are probably aware of these but if not you may find them useful

http://www.monstergulf.com

http://www.gulftalent.com

http://www.bayt.com

Good luck!
Old Mar 14th 2012, 9:30 am
Just Joined

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-GB) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.546 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Thanks. Been on those sites many times! Monster's okay, the other two I wouldn't waste my time with. Found a few recruitment companies that are quite useful. Following a few on Twitter as well which have a few IT related jobs on the go.

Chris
Old Mar 14th 2012, 9:35 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikkisizer
Hi Christof,

You are probably aware of these but if not you may find them useful

http://www.monstergulf.com

http://www.gulftalent.com

http://www.bayt.com

Good luck!
This company is also IT focused:

http://www.indigoict.com/
Old Mar 14th 2012, 9:35 am
Just Joined

PNM72 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Chris - which ones aware you following?
Old Mar 14th 2012, 9:40 am
Just Joined

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-GB) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.546 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

At the moment ReThink,Eutopia and Middle East Tech Jobs.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

At the moment ReThink,Eutopia and Middle East Tech Jobs.