Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Job interview in Doha and salary expectations

Job interview in Doha and salary expectations

Old Jan 26th 2012, 12:26 am
Just Joined

Scottiebloke is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Job interview in Doha and salary expectations

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, but been browsing for a while.
I know this stuff has been posted before but doesn't seem to help me as the job is a little unusual.
I was hoping for some advice here, flying out for an interview next week with one of the major Oil & Gas companies.....up to now have put in 'negotiable' for salary expectation, but in case it crops up at interview was wondering what the going rate was for a 'Senior Documents and Standards Analyst'.
The benefits are:
Fully paid family or single status housing including utilities
Furnishing allowance
37 working days annual paid vacation plus annual family air tickets
Medical/dental care
Personal effects shipment allowance
Education assistance for up to four school age children
End of service benefits

Strangely no mention of transport allowance!

I'm a married guy, no kids, with 16 years experience in the O&G industry and with an IT degree...oh and I'm a Brit funnily enough!!

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Kind Regards
SB

Last edited by Scottiebloke; Jan 26th 2012 at 12:30 am.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 2:44 am
Just Joined

Sean_3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job interview in Doha and salary expectations

Originally Posted by Scottiebloke
Hi all,

I was hoping for some advice here, flying out for an interview next week with one of the major Oil & Gas companies.....up to now have put in 'negotiable' for salary expectation, but in case it crops up at interview was wondering what the going rate was for a 'Senior Documents and Standards Analyst'.
The benefits are:
Fully paid family or single status housing including utilities
Furnishing allowance
37 working days annual paid vacation plus annual family air tickets
Medical/dental care
Personal effects shipment allowance
Education assistance for up to four school age children
End of service benefits

Kind Regards
SB
?
hi, aim for current pay + say 40-50% in QR...
Old Jan 26th 2012, 4:01 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

The benefits need to be defined , assistance could mean a fully expensed education or a lift to the nearest nursery.

Get everything defined , then you'll be able to make a more informed desicion on the advice you get .

The holiday allowance is very very generous to say the least and remember they'll be 10 days National holidays on top of that as well .

Don't agree to any grey areas or wooly terms in contracts , you'll be found dissapointed beacause one things for sure , they will knock you for it , it's what these guys are good at.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 11:19 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated. I know you answer this type of question all the time.

I'm on just under £5k gross at the moment in the Uk, do you think asking for £7.5k (43000QAR) plus benefits would be chancing my luck? Don't want to price myself out of a job, but then don't know how the negotiations work over there! Or would it be better going in higher??
I will also try to get monetary amounts for the benefits as they are a bit vague!

Kind Regards
SB

Last edited by Scottiebloke; Jan 26th 2012 at 11:22 am.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 11:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno what it's like in Qatar, but check the 37days holiday doesn't include weekends.

i.e. a 2 week holiday costs you 10 days of leave, rather than 14. They sometimes do it that way here.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

I'm on just under £5k gross at the moment in the Uk, do you think asking for £7.5k (43000QAR) plus benefits would be chancing my luck? Don't want to price myself out of a job, but then don't know how the negotiations work over there! Or would it be better going in higher??
I will also try to get monetary amounts for the benefits as they are a bit vague!

Kind Regards
SB
Sounds right - As a senior professional you are better asking for what you want and sticking to it. The holiday allowance is good for calendar days it is bl**dy good if it is work work days.

As Durham boy advises - make sure you have sorted out the accommodation and car allowance. In monetary terms you need say 12,000 to 16,000 on top of the 43,0000 for these
Old Jan 26th 2012, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated. I know you answer this type of question all the time.

Kind Regards
SB
I'm not in Oil & Gas so i'm not sure of your figure but one things for certain .

Do not under sell yourself here because it's a pure shithole .
Old Jan 26th 2012, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

Thanks fellas,

I have seen someone mention about the holidays including weekends, the wording on mine does say 'working days', but I'll check.
Family accommodation appears to be fully paid.
No mention of a car allowance in my correspondence, altho it does mention it as standard on their website, but I'll be checking that as well!
Just wondering if anyone squeezes Internet and TV out of them as part of the package, its expensive!
I seem to get the impression that its easier to negotiate benefits than it is base salary, we'll see.

Kind Regards
SB
Old Jan 27th 2012, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks fellas,

I have seen someone mention about the holidays including weekends, the wording on mine does say 'working days', but I'll check.
Family accommodation appears to be fully paid.
No mention of a car allowance in my correspondence, altho it does mention it as standard on their website, but I'll be checking that as well!
Just wondering if anyone squeezes Internet and TV out of them as part of the package, its expensive!
I seem to get the impression that its easier to negotiate benefits than it is base salary, we'll see.

Kind Regards
SB
Internet comes in at around 250-300QAR and a Showtime TV package will cost you between 250-450QAR .

I have a few friends who are in O&G and they're benefits are top class . The schooling and accommodation are the ones that can really hurt you if not negotiated right or set at the correct value.

I would have thought the terms and benefits would be graded in an organisation such as that and you'd have more leverage on the salary when it came to negotiating.

Good Luck
Old Jan 27th 2012, 6:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
I would have thought the terms and benefits would be graded in an organisation such as that and you'd have more leverage on the salary when it came to negotiating.
As they say... you can negotiate salary, you can't negotiate policy.
Old Jan 28th 2012, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again for the insight fellas,

It's been a great help, I'll play it by ear and see what happens!

I'll let you know how it goes.

Kind Regards
SB
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

Well, that's the interviews out the way, just waiting to hear now, should be next week I understand.
Enjoyed my time over, have to say the medical was very thorough as well.

Kind Regards

SB
Old Jul 29th 2012, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

DOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, that's the interviews out the way, just waiting to hear now, should be next week I understand.
Enjoyed my time over, have to say the medical was very thorough as well.

Kind Regards

SB
how thorough??

Just joking mate

How did you get on mate?

I will be in a similar position next month when i fly over for interviews. Just wondered how you got on with negations and things like that?
Old Jul 29th 2012, 6:01 pm
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Millhouse
As they say... you can negotiate salary, you can't negotiate policy.
Well I did manage to bypass the policy on housing after some pressure.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by RyanC
how thorough??

Just joking mate

How did you get on mate?

I will be in a similar position next month when i fly over for interviews. Just wondered how you got on with negations and things like that?
Unfortunately I didn't get the job so didn't get as far as negotiations.

The medical consisted of checking eyesight, hearing, blood work, ECG, chest x-rays, lung capacity and a massive questionnaire about your health and family history.

Good luck with the interview.

SB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.