Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Job Hunting Tips Please Help!

Job Hunting Tips Please Help!

Old May 28th 2014, 6:21 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Hunting Tips Please Help!

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I think your hormones are out of wack, Mike. Have you tried hibiscus tea and the testosterone replacement tablets?
Hhhjmmmm, I have so much testosterone I need a wheelbarrow to carry them around in!
Old May 28th 2014, 6:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
Hhhjmmmm, I have so much testosterone I need a wheelbarrow to carry them around in!
Carrying them around in a wheelbarrow isn't going to work - try consuming the tablets.
Old May 28th 2014, 6:35 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
Come on chaps .. new member and all that. I know you don't pull any punches but it would be nice if we held back a little?
whilst i would normally agree i see this as more of a realistic and representative idea of what life will be like here

"welcome to the middle east, **** you, give me your money"
Old May 28th 2014, 6:56 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
whilst i would normally agree i see this as more of a realistic and representative idea of what life will be like here

"welcome to the middle east, **** you, give me your money"
Well we do need a fresh batch of new blood to rip off, perhaps we should be giving the rose tinted view?

Edit: post 2000, a milestone of posting excellence.
Old May 28th 2014, 8:37 am
Just Joined

minnie16 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to all that have given any genuine help. Im sure it's not all sunshine and ice cream but at least in the UAE you know where you stand.

Didn't want to write too in depth about myself as just wanted some general help if it was available.
Old May 28th 2014, 9:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by minnie16
Thanks to all that have given any genuine help. Im sure it's not all sunshine and ice cream but at least in the UAE you know where you stand.

Didn't want to write too in depth about myself as just wanted some general help if it was available.
Work out what you want to do. AT the moment it sounds like you do something, but not sure what.

Then;
Network
Linkedin
Find target companies - Link with them on Linkedin and network
Network some more
Gulftalent
Network more
Monstergulf
Network more
Naukri Gulf
Network more
Careerstructure
Network

(Kudos to Bahtat for this list)
Old May 28th 2014, 10:05 am
Just Joined

Thanks Scamp. Most useful post.

My description is vague. I am a Company Director of a credit management and debt recovery business. Have been Marketing Director of a credit management related association and Head of Marketing, Marketing Exec and Assistant for large blue chip legs.

Sometimes you look and just can't find. So thanks for your help!
Old May 28th 2014, 1:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Scamp. Most useful post.

My description is vague. I am a Company Director of a credit management and debt recovery business. Have been Marketing Director of a credit management related association and Head of Marketing, Marketing Exec and Assistant for large blue chip legs.

Sometimes you look and just can't find. So thanks for your help!
You've done all of that between graduating (aged 21) and 26? i.e. in the last 5 years.

Wow, when i was that age I was still sniffing my fingers.
Old May 28th 2014, 1:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

You've done all of that between graduating (aged 21) and 26? i.e. in the last 5 years.

Wow, when i was that age I was still sniffing my fingers.
All I've done is managed to move to Dubai and make the cash money (and spend it).
Old May 28th 2014, 5:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Minnie,

Ignore the men- they are generally a bunch of miserable bastards at the mo. I know some people get recruited from overseas, however in my personal experience out here, getting your foot in the door which is through knowing people is the best approach. The majority of people (in my experience)that are interested in moving out here end up jumping ship before they move out. I would much rather recruit from within the ME than bring people over purely because they know what they are getting themselves into. I have recruited for particularly niche roles from abroad though, however that involved head hunters and looking for very specific people etc. Would I look at a CV that landed on my desk from someone in the UK interested in moving out. Unless they were absolutely the dogs bollox no I wouldn't as chances are you won't actually make it out here. So, I would recommend finding some people you may be able to network through out here, ie a friend of a friend- (everyone knows someone out here) and put the word out through word of mouth, or take the bull by the horns and come out for a few months and meet as many people as possible and put the word out - however it takes 3 months to even get the ball rolling out here by the time your CV gets to the right person etc so don't expect this to be a quick procedure.

Does your husband to be have a in demand job role? as at least if you could get him placed you could then come on the back of him and wait out the recruitment process but at least you'd be out here.

As we come into Ramadanadingdong time not much will happen anyway, so I would say Sept/Oct would be the best time to start looking as everything goes to shit over the summer.
Good luck

KC
Old May 28th 2014, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

Hi KC

Thanks for your help. Great to get the info first hand.

My fiancé has a great business skill -set (he's my business partner) however doesn't have a degree which seems to be of importance over there.

We do have the option for him to come and stay out there for longer periods and network for us both as his sister lives there but I am a little more limited due to the business we have here.

I completely understand if you don't have the time but wonder if there's anyway you could give some CV feedback if I sent it to you? When you don't seem to get a response in an international market it is difficult to understand what it is that isn't working.

Best

Minnie16
Old May 29th 2014, 4:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi KC

Thanks for your help. Great to get the info first hand.

My fiancé has a great business skill -set (he's my business partner) however doesn't have a degree which seems to be of importance over there.

We do have the option for him to come and stay out there for longer periods and network for us both as his sister lives there but I am a little more limited due to the business we have here.

I completely understand if you don't have the time but wonder if there's anyway you could give some CV feedback if I sent it to you? When you don't seem to get a response in an international market it is difficult to understand what it is that isn't working.

Best

Minnie16
The problem is that you simply do not have enough experience. Don't misread that as me being nasty - let me explain.

CVs here are inflated beyond belief and I've seen 26 year old investment bankers with titles of 'Managing Director - Head of Investment Banking' etc. In the UK we would call these people analysts or the head of photocopying. It's simply title inflation - and thus is discredited by anyone with half a brain. I'm not saying this is what you have done, but it's the box you will be put in. What counts is years under your belt and something tangible as an outcome.

The typical 26 year old Brit with 'business acumen' ends up in real estate, recruitment or flogging pension products to suckers. Unfortunately you fit into that profile even if you are better than that.

If you are currently running your own shop then try and do something similar over here. There maybe a credit control outsourcing market here - I have no idea. Although from what I have seen these roles are staffed by Indians working for peanuts - maybe there are some chief jobs available. I would probably try and go down this road.

So... my advice, come here again and without the holiday tints on and have a serious look around. Sitting in the UK and firing the CV at companies isn't going to work. To give you an example, a typical job here receives 400+ applications, of which maybe 1 or 2 are good enough to get called in for interview - we regularly go through this process and don't make an offer and find someone via the network.

Last edited by Millhouse; May 29th 2014 at 4:44 am.
Old May 29th 2014, 4:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Does 'director' mean anything now? There is a bloke at my husband's place who is a 'director' of a dept consisting solely of himself.
Old May 29th 2014, 4:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Does 'director' mean anything now? There is a bloke at my husband's place who is a 'director' of a dept consisting solely of himself.
He is underselling himself - sounds like he is the Global Head for that department.
Old May 29th 2014, 4:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

He is underselling himself - sounds like he is the Global Head for that department.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.