Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Job discussion topic for Islamic University Madinah

Job discussion topic for Islamic University Madinah

Old Jul 21st 2014, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

MSHQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re: Job discussion topic for Islamic University Madinah

Originally Posted by wwinit
C'mon. You will be in the Land of Allah and also it is a kind of adventure, so there is nothing to be afraid of. As a Muslim academic, you will have three missions here:

1. Pray properly five times a day plus Omrah and Hajj.
It is a kind of belief in KSA that if you pray at home or in your office, it is nothing. It might be 10% merit if you could go to a masjid/mosque nearby; 100% in a masjid during Ramadan. So, there is always a masjid every 100-200 metres away. You will be woken by a loudspeaker (azdan) around 3.30 am for the 1st sala. Go to work at 8 or 8.30 am and then 12 noon get together at the University mosque for the 2nd sala. Finish your work at 2.30 pm and go home for the 3rd sala. Take a rest and prepare for the 4th sala around 5.30-6.00 pm and the 5th sala at 7.30-8.00 pm. After that, tuk tuk (juk juk), sleep and prepare for the 1st sala on the following day. That's your life in a day. Omrah and Hajj are quite cheap and easier to manage here. You can do your Omrah every time when you are free and Hajj every five years if you wish. You will see millions of people moving from Mecca (Makkah) to Medina (Madinah) during the Hajj period.

2. Do your teaching as assigned and carry out research if time permits.
For an assistant professor, you have to teach at least 12 hours per week, incl. lectures and labs. Your academic life is basically overwhelmed by your teaching and other silly activities. Expect to work with Indian or Pakistani Muslims, Egyptians and Jordanians mainly. Therefore, you will experience poor management, politics in the Department/College mostly played by Egyptians, and poor-quality male students.

3. Wait for your monthly salary (probably every 25th of Hijri month).
You will enjoy having lots of money with some allowances at first and then every month with basic plus travel allowance. In your case, it is probably SR 15K+. You could save up nearly three times more than you do in the UK. In other words, working in this kingdom one year is equivalent to three years in Britain. You will be a millionaire soon.

Good luck with your academic pilgrimage to the holy city of Medina.
Dear wwinit,

thanks very much for your enlightened and delighted narration.

1. The first misssion I already following to some extent, may be not 100% but 50%.

2. Teaching load is double than what I used to enjoy so far (6 hrs per week). I do not know whether I will be able to manage some research along with. They told me in interview that they expect atleast one publication in peer reviewed journal per year.

3. I have not received any contract so far but according to their basic salary details, etc, and with my few year experience (mostly post doc, research mainly and teaching partially), I also expect more or little less than 15k.

thanks once again for your comments.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 4:44 am
rto
Just Joined

rto is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MSHQ
sure. I wonder how we manage our present jobs if we have so much uncertainity in future jobs.
I think because of ramadan this much delay.In sha Allah everything will be ready in the coming month
Old Jul 24th 2014, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rto
I think because of ramadan this much delay.In sha Allah everything will be ready in the coming month
Lets see. I am not sure that they will hire us during the semester. I think we can make it in January/February 2015, provided they are still interested in hiring us.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 2:36 pm
rto
Just Joined

rto is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MSHQ
Lets see. I am not sure that they will hire us during the semester. I think we can make it in January/February 2015, provided they are still interested in hiring us.
Dear brother whom you are contacting to follow up for contract letter please send Priveate message.But some other thread some one posted that they also didnt get visa like PMU.Anyone pray to god to get everythng asap
Old Jul 24th 2014, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rto
Dear brother whom you are contacting to follow up for contract letter please send Priveate message.But some other thread some one posted that they also didnt get visa like PMU.Anyone pray to god to get everythng asap
I was in contact with Dean and HR office, but its almost more than two months, that they have not in contact anymore. They even do not reply my emails.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rto
Dear rto, I have sent two private messages to you but you have not replied. What is your status now?

regards
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 5:38 am
Just Joined

rafe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,
I am also facing the same problem.Selected as a lecturer in electronics through videoconferencing interview and the dean said that may be the joining date is augest 24th. but still no electronic VISA copy,or offer letter from IU. Every week I called the contact person suggested by the dean ,his last message is they didnt get the visa paper from the ministry of higher education.If any one have new information regarding this please share...
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rafe
Hi all,
I am also facing the same problem.Selected as a lecturer in electronics through videoconferencing interview and the dean said that may be the joining date is augest 24th. but still no electronic VISA copy,or offer letter from IU. Every week I called the contact person suggested by the dean ,his last message is they didnt get the visa paper from the ministry of higher education.If any one have new information regarding this please share...
Dear Rafe,
I think they have initiated the process after August, so please be patient. Also read the messages under "Assistant Prof in PMU Alkhobar".

regards
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

thank you...but the problem is no exact conformation from the university department.they said you get visa when yur papers are ready..no other information.they didnt give the deans phone number,HR number....no proper email reply..
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

thank you...but the problem is no exact conformation from the university department.they said you get visa when yur papers are ready..no other information.they didnt give the deans phone number,HR number....no proper email reply..
there are quite informative posts by wwinit, scot47, etc. about this problem. In short words, this is the culture of work in KSA. So no need to worry or disappoint. I too was embarrased when Aug 24 came near and passed by.

I would suggest to wait and do not write them emails. They will contact you when your papers are ready and if they need you.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

I am pretty sure they will send our contracts in few weeks. You are not alone, I think they have not sent it to anyone so far.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

Hi friend any news from Islamic university..I called them they didnt give proper answer.they said the HR personals in vacation ,they didnt give a proper clarification..now what to do?
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

anyone got VISA ???
Old Nov 6th 2014, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

Hi friend any news from Islamic university..I called them they didnt give proper answer.they said the HR personals in vacation ,they didnt give a proper clarification..now what to do?

This is strange. I think we can not do anything except either to wait or dare not work with such employer. Few months back, they advertised the jobs for 2015 but only for US and Canada nationals. Allah knows better whats going on there.
Old Nov 7th 2014, 9:02 am
Just Joined

Dear MSHQ, what we will do next? any contact number for dean [engineering]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.