Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority

Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority

Old Mar 28th 2011, 10:55 am
Just Joined

ionoyo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority

Originally Posted by Southlondoner
Hello

I applied for a role at ADIA back in early 2010.
The interviews are OK - standard stuff. Going over your experience, talking through the CV and aking you about ADIA.

The assessment centre tests are quite challenging. The numerical and verbal reasoniong tests are fine - not too difficult.
I found the abstract logic test the toughest. They use a test book from the early 1980s. The abstract reasoning is different from the computer based numerical and verbal reasoning tests as it is paper based.

The best thing is to practise as many abstract reasoning - essentially spotting pattern in diagrams - tests as you can under timed conditions.

Hi

Thank you for the information, that is very helpful. I've been using the standard SHL type tests to prepare for the numerical/verbal reasoning tests and have been searching google for logic tests which I do find a bit tricky I must say.

Can I ask if you were successfull in your assessment, and if you were did you take the job at ADIA?

Thanks
Old Mar 28th 2011, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

Southlondoner is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Unfortunately not. I did well on the numerical reasoning and verbal reasoning. Tripped up badly on the abstract reasoning. It is basically spotting patterns and identifying what comes next on a diagram. Well worth practising as many questions as possible.

ADIA is a good place to work. All my friends there are really happy. Good pay too and sovereign wealth funds are a safe port in troubled times.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

brucebanner is just really nicebrucebanner is just really nicebrucebanner is just really nicebrucebanner is just really nicebrucebanner is just really nicebrucebanner is just really nicebrucebanner is just really nicebrucebanner is just really nice

do they have programming jobs in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority?
Old Apr 6th 2011, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

NYfinance is an unknown quantity at this point

southlondoner- do you know of any women that work there and are they happy?

Last edited by NYfinance; Apr 6th 2011 at 8:03 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 6:12 am
Just Joined

clodytz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NYfinance
southlondoner- do you know of any women that work there and are they happy?
Definitely, we are ...
Old Apr 7th 2011, 10:20 am
Just Joined

Nanice is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

I am as well interested in Adia. I may get an offer from them in 2 weeks time and would like to know what package I should ask for and whether it's not too difficult for a woman to work there. I am 30 years old. Single. I have the CFA and 6 years experience. Please let me know.

Thanks,

Nanice
Old Apr 7th 2011, 12:11 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nanice
Hello,

I am as well interested in Adia. I may get an offer from them in 2 weeks time and would like to know what package I should ask for and whether it's not too difficult for a woman to work there. I am 30 years old. Single. I have the CFA and 6 years experience. Please let me know.

Thanks,

Nanice
why would you think it is difficult for a woman to work in AD? Thousands of women work in AD. I think you need to do some more research.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

I have to say I have never been to the Middle East, but I have a (possibly incorrect) view that it may be uncomfortable for a woman, especially if she is working with a lot of nationals. Is it not true that in the ME, woman aren't supposed to be/aren't often found in positions of power, in a position to negotiate with men, not seen as an equal. I've had a hard enough time in NY finance, so I wonder what a culture where women are seen in a very different light than males in every aspect would be like as far as working. alsoI think seeing lots of women in burqas and potentially being involved in social situations where women and men are separated could be somewhat difficlut for a fairly strong feminist.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 2:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say I have never been to the Middle East, but I have a (possibly incorrect) view that it may be uncomfortable for a woman, especially if she is working with a lot of nationals. Is it not true that in the ME, woman aren't supposed to be/aren't often found in positions of power, in a position to negotiate with men, not seen as an equal. I've had a hard enough time in NY finance, so I wonder what a culture where women are seen in a very different light than males in every aspect would be like as far as working. alsoI think seeing lots of women in burqas and potentially being involved in social situations where women and men are separated could be somewhat difficlut for a fairly strong feminist.
The UAE doesn't need any more feminists . Please don't come...
Old Apr 7th 2011, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

thanks millhouse, I will take that into consideration.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 2:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

thanks millhouse, I will take that into consideration.
The truth is you will be fine. The only thing that won't wash here is 'NY banker aggression' (this is true for men too). Leave any arrogance at the airport.

The Middle East is a different world and shouting and strutting around goes nowhere - probably worse for a woman to do it.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

but get yourself a Brigitte Nielsen hair cut and some killer shoulderpads just in case you do find yourself needing to bust some arab balls in the boardroom
Old Apr 7th 2011, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

I am not arrogant but come from a bank (and area of a bank- fixed Income) with a culture of expressing your opinion, arguing, etc, not so much arrogance but speaking your mind (no posturing involved).

I appreciate the feedback.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

I am not arrogant but come from a bank (and area of a bank- fixed Income) with a culture of expressing your opinion, arguing, etc, not so much arrogance but speaking your mind (no posturing involved).

I appreciate the feedback.
Always found Fixed Income to be more pessimistic sensible types!

In regards to women, you should be fine but there is a reticence to send them on training courses. It's something to do with culturally sending a woman away. Depends on who your boss was i suppose.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 5:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by al dente
Always found Fixed Income to be more pessimistic sensible types!
Indeed... what is there to discuss and debate!?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.