British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   ME Job Discussions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/)
-   -   Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/job-abu-dhabi-investment-authority-638456/)

BEVS Mar 3rd 2019 1:22 am

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12646925)
So by
the real travesty here isn’t that they have used up their quota of visas for Brits but Is that those Brits were only Brit-ish
you meant that the quota of visas was used for people who had joined ISIS?

No. Millhouse just used the high profile female to illustrate how this is working in the ME with regard to recruitment by ADIA.

spouse of scouse Mar 3rd 2019 2:16 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12646928)
No. Millhouse just used the high profile female to illustrate how this is working in the ME with regard to recruitment by ADIA.

Sorry BEVS but I'm not seeing what you mean. In response to a post, Millhouse said it's not a travesty that ADIA have used up their quota of visas for British people, the travesty is that the quota was used on people who are only 'Brit-ish'. I'm just asking him what he means by people who are 'Brit-ish'. If he means people who are Muslim, or people who don't have white skin, or people who have dual citizenship, then he should just say so.

Millhouse Mar 3rd 2019 7:55 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12646935)
Sorry BEVS but I'm not seeing what you mean. In response to a post, Millhouse said it's not a travesty that ADIA have used up their quota of visas for British people, the travesty is that the quota was used on people who are only 'Brit-ish'. I'm just asking him what he means by people who are 'Brit-ish'. If he means people who are Muslim, or people who don't have white skin, or people who have dual citizenship, then he should just say so.

While I think you are purposely trying not to see it to put me in a racist box (which you'll fail at) - I'll explain it.

Many people in the middle east have dual nationality and recruitment is often based on visa/nationality quotas. You will find many Lebanese here claiming to be Canadian (I know of one girl who has never even been to Canada - has never paid tax there - and is quite proudly Lebanese until it's more convenient to be Canadian), you will also find many Biritsh-Pakistanis (a nationality that I did not know even existed until I moved here - I also assumed you would be British or Pakistani) - my ex.boss lived in the UK 7 years, got his passport and left immediately, he uses his British passport to belittle his own countrymen while openly admitting he doesn't like the UK and will never live there. I could (but have not yet applied for it) become Kenyan. Does a Kenyan passport through marriage make me Kenyan? Obviously no (or yes according to you), but it will be helpful for me to avoid tax in the future so I will probably become a Kenyan - I won't be bothering with the language though.

So.. while my original post was trying to be ironic (which you misunderstood and assumed was moronic) it did very much hit on a reality of living in the middle east... when it comes to nationalities all is not what it seems. Our plucky hopeful who thought he deserved a job based on his little red passport got upset when they saw through it and gave a lame excuse. As a government agency ADIA can recruit whatever it likes (it will have quotas but if the person is good then they can breach the caps) - although in his case they decided to use that as an excuse to not give him a job. Maybe his other passport is from Syria, or one of the other the countries with no diplomatic relations - in any case they decided they didn't like it. He, in their eyes, is only Brit-ish.

Welcome to the Middle East.

spouse of scouse Mar 3rd 2019 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12646978)
While I think you are purposely trying not to see it to put me in a racist box (which you'll fail at) - I'll explain it.

Many people in the middle east have dual nationality and recruitment is often based on visa/nationality quotas. You will find many Lebanese here claiming to be Canadian (I know of one girl who has never even been to Canada - has never paid tax there - and is quite proudly Lebanese until it's more convenient to be Canadian), you will also find many Biritsh-Pakistanis (a nationality that I did not know even existed until I moved here - I also assumed you would be British or Pakistani) - my ex.boss lived in the UK 7 years, got his passport and left immediately, he uses his British passport to belittle his own countrymen while openly admitting he doesn't like the UK and will never live there. I could (but have not yet applied for it) become Kenyan. Does a Kenyan passport through marriage make me Kenyan? Obviously no (or yes according to you), but it will be helpful for me to avoid tax in the future so I will probably become a Kenyan - I won't be bothering with the language though.

So.. while my original post was trying to be ironic (which you misunderstood and assumed was moronic) it did very much hit on a reality of living in the middle east... when it comes to nationalities all is not what it seems. Our plucky hopeful who thought he deserved a job based on his little red passport got upset when they saw through it and gave a lame excuse. As a government agency ADIA can recruit whatever it likes (it will have quotas but if the person is good then they can breach the caps) - although in his case they decided to use that as an excuse to not give him a job. Maybe his other passport is from Syria, or one of the other the countries with no diplomatic relations - in any case they decided they didn't like it. He, in their eyes, is only Brit-ish.

Welcome to the Middle East.

I'm not in the slightest bit interested in putting you in any type of box, I was interested in what you meant by 'Brit-ish' people and why you think it's a travesty that they've used up the visa quota to the detriment of 'British' people. Although you haven't answered either directly, thanks for your response.

TGFKASE Mar 3rd 2019 9:23 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12646990)
I'm not in the slightest bit interested in putting you in any type of box, I was interested in what you meant by 'Brit-ish' people and why you think it's a travesty that they've used up the visa quota to the detriment of 'British' people. Although you haven't answered either directly, thanks for your response.

The Concierge's in the Aus part of the Bored can get real pissy real quick, cant they???

He has entirely explained his meaning of Brit-ish...

And he has gone some way to explaining the 'travesty'...

You're just unwilling to let it go.. Far easier to label someone a racist....

If you have spent any time in the ME, you would be fully aware of the points Millhouse was making. Since you aren't, you haven't, and if you haven't, why the sudden interest? Bleeding heart, or half way thru an ADIA application?

spouse of scouse Mar 3rd 2019 10:17 am

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 12647016)
The Concierge's in the Aus part of the Bored can get real pissy real quick, cant they???

He has entirely explained his meaning of Brit-ish...

And he has gone some way to explaining the 'travesty'...

You're just unwilling to let it go.. Far easier to label someone a racist....

If you have spent any time in the ME, you would be fully aware of the points Millhouse was making. Since you aren't, you haven't, and if you haven't, why the sudden interest? Bleeding heart, or half way thru an ADIA application?

:lol:

carcajou Mar 3rd 2019 10:23 am

Spouse of Scouse does not understand how the Middle East works. That is clear in some of her other posts in this section of the forum as well.

Racism in the Middle East is not only legal, it is condoned and encouraged. Tiered salary based on nationality for the same job is just one example.

The countries of the region are not on a Western system with a Western legal code - nor do they want to be, nor do they strive for that. As long as some posters continue to try and analyse it through a Western lens as though it were a Western system - they will never understand it . . .

spouse of scouse Mar 3rd 2019 10:30 am

Originally Posted by carcajou (Post 12647043)
Spouse of Scouse does not understand how the Middle East works. That is clear in some of her other posts in this section of the forum as well.

Racism in the Middle East is not only legal, it is condoned and encouraged. Tiered salary based on nationality for the same job is just one example.

The countries of the region are not on a Western system with a Western legal code - nor do they want to be, nor do they strive for that. As long as some posters continue to try and analyse it through a Western lens as though it were a Western system - they will never understand it . . .

Oh blow it out your ear. One last time before I stop wasting my time, I was asking Millhouse for HIS OWN PERSONAL definition of the term 'Brit-ish' and his subsequent 'travesty' comment. If you want to make it into something else knock yourself out, I couldn't care less.

Millhouse Mar 3rd 2019 10:41 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12647048)
Oh blow it out your ear. One last time before I stop wasting my time, I was asking Millhouse for HIS OWN PERSONAL definition of the term 'Brit-ish' and his subsequent 'travesty' comment. If you want to make it into something else knock yourself out, I couldn't care less.

As a starting point, someone who has a British passport and does not self identify as British unless it’s convenient for them. The travesty comment that you’ve failed to understand was irony based 1) on living in the Middle East and 2) that someone appeared to wish to be treated differently for being (or at least identifying at the time) as ... drumroll... British.

Anyway, I’m Kenyan so I don’t care.

TGFKASE Mar 3rd 2019 11:20 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12647048)

Don't make promises you cannae keep.....

Just proves the adage that there are degree's of expat... Scouse of spouse is clearly a novice...

sam8000 Apr 2nd 2019 12:40 am

I am being offered a P1 Snr Associate role . Whats the base salary that I should look for? Please PM me

Originally Posted by ldnfintech (Post 12093207)
Hi expatca

One thing for sure, the package will be better than what you have in Canada.

For P1
Base Salary: 15k-25k (hoping its higher!)
Housing: 180k AED (ADIA accommodation - water, electricity included)
Compensation: 14-30%
Car Loan: 120k AED (4-year interest-free loan)
Gratuity: 17% (paid monthly)
School: 40k AED per child (up to 4 children)
School x2: Books/Bus etc (paid in cash)
Joining Allowance: 80k AED (one-off paid lumpsum)
Comprehensive Medical Cover for you and your family.
Flights when moving to Abu Dhabi

Hope this helps.

Is this still a valid range? 15k - 25k?

Originally Posted by sam8000 (Post 12664686)

Any help would be appreciated, as I have a couple of days to respond

verygooduser Apr 3rd 2019 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by sam8000 (Post 12664550)
I am being offered a P1 Snr Associate role . Whats the base salary that I should look for? Please PM me

Any help would be appreciated, as I have a couple of days to respond

Hi Sam,

Was you able to find out if these numbers make sense?

sam8000 Apr 6th 2019 5:27 am

Originally Posted by Londoner from middle east (Post 12646074)
If you are British then don't bother but if you aren't give me your email address and I'll give you the details

I am not sure this is entirely true!!

sam8000 Apr 6th 2019 5:32 am

Originally Posted by AK365 (Post 12508163)
Hello,
Please allow me to say that experiences shared in this blog are very helpful for some who had no Idea about ADIA hiring process. So, Thank You to all of you who took time to share their experiences. I am from US and recently I have been interviewed for a P2 (Senior analyst). From this blog and my recent experience I figured that ADIA interview process is going to take months. I am in middle of interview with few good companies locally and want to evaluate my options.

Most of folks in this blog are from UK(Obviously coz I am on BritishExpats) and CA and their comparisons are mostly with the cost of living and Taxes in city like London or Toronto.
  1. I wanted to know if there are any American especially from East Coast. If so how is your experience so far when it comes to compensation.
  2. From this blog I see that home allowance for P2 is 180K/year. However, when I look at decent Villa there is nothing in that range.
  3. Can anyone recommend good neighborhood and School with American Curriculum. I just need to google the area, commute and cost and then compare it with my current US salary.
  4. Another silly question, as per monthly pay is concern can a IT person with P2 role can get $30K/ month?
  5. Expat benefit allowance - 4.5k/9k. Single/married rate paid monthly.” Is this only for people with P3 title or P2 are also entitled for it ?
Thanks,

AK

30 k USD a month ? I know Americans get paid more because of their tax liabilities back home, but 30 k USD a month is way too much I think!

reddiva Apr 7th 2019 6:11 am

Originally Posted by sam8000 (Post 12666766)
30 k USD a month ? I know Americans get paid more because of their tax liabilities back home, but 30 k USD a month is way too much I think!

I think he may mean AED30000 per month as 30,000USD equates to AED110000 PM which is way too high