Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority

Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority

Old Jan 20th 2017, 11:24 am
JSB
Just Joined

JSB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority

Originally Posted by dominoman
Yes, first time I've heard of an exam.

My experience was 2 days on interviews, from morning till evening.

The interviews were a mixture of competency based questions, questions on background, and some were not much more than chat.

As much as anything they will be looking to see whether you will fit in. You'll get lots of people asking about your impressions of Abu Dhabi (say nice things!), your impressions of ADIA (same!), and asking what you think the challenges and differences will be from your current job.

None of these "fit" questions are there to catch you out. They genuinely need to know that you understand what the move will encompass. From their perspective hiring someone who then discovers ADIA and the UAE isn't for them is an expensive mistake - so they will do everything to avoid that.

When you meet an Emirati (I had one interview with an Emirate out of 16 total) then it's important to be polite, friendly and respect their norms. They like to hear of your admiration for their country and of what has been achieved. Be prepared for a long handshake. The handshakes are not the UK style firm handshake. It's a much gentler handshake that is considered polite in the UAE.

The Emirati I met was a really nice guy, and was quite inspirational. It was clear that the department heads respected him highly.

Good luck and enjoy it!
That was very useful. I am also due to go out there soon. A little apprehensive as the end is nigh but trying to just be myself. Dominoman - how have you found settling in? Or are you a long timer?
Old Jan 24th 2017, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

ShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to all

Thank you both, JSB and Dominoman! I haven't had further details on this yet, but it is confirmed I will have a case study!

Dominoman, do you work at ADIA now?

JSB, what team are you interviewing for?

Last edited by ShirleyG102; Jan 24th 2017 at 2:14 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

ShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to allShirleyG102 is a name known to all

I'm going over to Abu Dhabi very soon and have a case study while there. Please can someone share light on this if you know anything, or have been through it recently?
Your response will be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Old Feb 6th 2017, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

Hello! For those who have been to Abu Dhabi - did you have a dinner with your hiring manager on one of the nights, and did you / the manager bring respective wives along?
Old Feb 8th 2017, 3:54 am
JSB
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ShirleyG102
Hello! For those who have been to Abu Dhabi - did you have a dinner with your hiring manager on one of the nights, and did you / the manager bring respective wives along?

Generally they do not but i have read here that others have brought their husbands along so I would just ask once there. They are very nice and friendly - everyone has been through the process, there is a lot of apathy for what you are going through....
Old Feb 8th 2017, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JSB
Generally they do not but i have read here that others have brought their husbands along so I would just ask once there. They are very nice and friendly - everyone has been through the process, there is a lot of apathy for what you are going through....
Thanks JSB! It turned out to be ok - I'm trying not to read too much into it. Hope you meant empathy and not apathy?
Old Feb 10th 2017, 9:07 am
JSB
Just Joined

Thanks JSB! It turned out to be ok - I'm trying not to read too much into it. Hope you meant empathy and not apathy?
Yes of course......it was too early in the morning, mind wasn't quite switched on

Good luck with your trip, Shirley...

Anyone have any thoughts on the article in the FT about the expat flurry out of Abu Dhabi? Thoughts?
Old Feb 10th 2017, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JSB
Good luck with your trip, Shirley...

Anyone have any thoughts on the article in the FT about the expat flurry out of Abu Dhabi? Thoughts?
Thanks JSB! I've sent you a DM - please respond when you get a minute? Thanks!

I was also going to ask about thoughts on the FT article from yesterday. So I personally think the flurry / exodus refers to more lower income people so nothing to worry about for ADIA employees at the moment, but based on what I've heard on the ground it does seem like the low oil prices are eventually going to result in the bursting of the bubble. They do need to put their proverbial eggs in other baskets as well.
That said, from whatever I've read and heard, 90% of the UAE's money is in Abu Dhabi so the situation is much much better than in say Dubai, but I think they feel the pinch at ADIA because I've also heard there's major restructuring going on there, and a change in strategy.

What are your thoughts?
Old Feb 13th 2017, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks JSB! I've sent you a DM - please respond when you get a minute? Thanks!

I was also going to ask about thoughts on the FT article from yesterday. So I personally think the flurry / exodus refers to more lower income people so nothing to worry about for ADIA employees at the moment, but based on what I've heard on the ground it does seem like the low oil prices are eventually going to result in the bursting of the bubble. They do need to put their proverbial eggs in other baskets as well.
That said, from whatever I've read and heard, 90% of the UAE's money is in Abu Dhabi so the situation is much much better than in say Dubai, but I think they feel the pinch at ADIA because I've also heard there's major restructuring going on there, and a change in strategy.

What are your thoughts?
But Dubai runs on tourism not oil and so is much less affected by the significant drop in oil prices. Also, Dubai is ramping up for Expo 2020 so its all go at the minute. I can't think of one big project we have in AD at the moment.

Personally I wouldn't be moving to AD any time soon.

Have a look on some of the other ME forums (Middle East & Sandpit) and read what folk are saying.....
Old Feb 13th 2017, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

That said, from whatever I've read and heard, 90% of the UAE's money is in Abu Dhabi so the situation is much much better than in say Dubai,
Wrong
Not the 90% bit, but about the situation being much better
Old Feb 13th 2017, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

So I personally think the flurry / exodus refers to more lower income people
Not quite true;
According to local news articles, there were redundancies in banks as well as govt places like ADNOC etc, and of jobs across all levels
Old Feb 13th 2017, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

Very interesting points you both make - I stand corrected. I was merely quoting what I heard from a couple of ADIA employees during my visit there!

Of course an ADIA person won't tell me if people are fleeing ADIA, but I do know people are being let go due to the restructuring there.
Old Feb 13th 2017, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

Just want to share some thoughts about my recent trip to Abu Dhabi - my first time in the UAE, and actually also in the Middle East.

I have lived in a number of countries (across four continents), and always in cities with 5 million+ populations, so I while I'm very keen on the ADIA opportunity for professional reasons, I was very keen to get a sense of what it's really like out there, and whether it is for me.

I'll still take the offer if I get it (and I hope I do!) but I have to say I wasn't particularly excited about the city itself. I don't mean to offend anyone on here - so please don't take this personally!

1). It's an extremely expensive city - everything from groceries to eating out to living expenses seem much higher than in London (which, until I went to Abu Dhabi, I thought was really expensive). I paid £25 for a Thai green curry (without rice!) while there; it was really good, but £25?! I also went to a couple of supermarkets to check out prices - a 9 pack of Andrex was £12! I understand that ADIA pays well enough to compensate for these high prices, but still - it just feels wrong to pay artificially high prices for these things! Taxis and petrol of course are really cheap, but I think that's about it. Maybe household help too, but heck, from the rates they are paid I got the sense that these people were economically exploited.

2). There's nothing to do around. Being a big city person, I would probably drive down to Dubai whenever possible, but I found that the options in Abu Dhabi itself were extremely limited. There are tons of malls, but apart from that there are literally one handful places to see (the Grand Mosque was spectacular, but I don't see myself going there very often given as I'm not Muslim), and most of the entertainment seemed to come from eating out, perhaps lazing on the beach (it's great that there are beaches everywhere you look), and driving out to the desert every now and then.

3). There's zero cultural interaction with the local people - the Emiratis - who are far outnumbered by the expats. I met two Emiratis during my interviews, but that apart I only saw them from a distance, either driving their cars or shopping, but they're so rich that you'd never come into contact with them on a day to day basis, so you're living in their country but really not interacting with them at all.

4). It's an ephemeral world - it's an oasis (or an oasis under construction, literally) in the middle of the desert, and people come and go every few years. That's probably what I'll do as well - make my money and leave - but something to think about. I've been an immigrant / expat in a number of countries, but none felt the same as Abu Dhabi does.

5). ADIA employees didn't tell me this, but friends who work at ADIA have told me there's a clear delineation between Emiratis and expats in the workplace. Expats don't progress professionally, while Emiratis, no matter how undeserving they are of it, do because they're usually well connected in high places. I might give away my identity if I quote a specific example, but I did hear of one jaw dropping example of a really senior Emirati saying this openly to a new joinee expat. There's no secrets about it.

Those were the things I didn't like - of course, I only did my research after the interviews, so didn't let it show in the interviews. I absolutely loved the weather, the open spaces, and the fact that a huge expat community means I'll get to meet a ton of new people while there, and because everyone's an expat you're on the same footing in some ways and no one has an advantage.

There - my rant while I wait for a decision from ADIA!
Old Feb 14th 2017, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Just my 2 pence in red.

Just want to share some thoughts about my recent trip to Abu Dhabi - my first time in the UAE, and actually also in the Middle East.

I have lived in a number of countries (across four continents), and always in cities with 5 million+ populations, so I while I'm very keen on the ADIA opportunity for professional reasons, I was very keen to get a sense of what it's really like out there, and whether it is for me.

I'll still take the offer if I get it (and I hope I do!) but I have to say I wasn't particularly excited about the city itself. I don't mean to offend anyone on here - so please don't take this personally! Hence why the majority of folk want to live in Dubai. AD is like the dull, more sensible older brother, where as Dubai is the flashy, wanky but generally good fun young upstart.

1). It's an extremely expensive city - everything from groceries to eating out to living expenses seem much higher than in London (which, until I went to Abu Dhabi, I thought was really expensive). I paid £25 for a Thai green curry (without rice!) while there; it was really good, but £25?! I also went to a couple of supermarkets to check out prices - a 9 pack of Andrex was £12! I understand that ADIA pays well enough to compensate for these high prices, but still - it just feels wrong to pay artificially high prices for these things! Taxis and petrol of course are really cheap, but I think that's about it. Maybe household help too, but heck, from the rates they are paid I got the sense that these people were economically exploited. You're not wrong. Both AD and DXB are expensive. The north and the eastern emirates less so. If you shop around you get to know where to buy what, however, at the end of the day, it is what it is. On the flip side, I hear that due to the exodus the bars are pretty much having a beer war and so you can get a pint for 2005 prices on 6hr happy hours! Silver lining and all that.

2). There's nothing to do around. Being a big city person, I would probably drive down to Dubai whenever possible, but I found that the options in Abu Dhabi itself were extremely limited. There are tons of malls, but apart from that there are literally one handful places to see (the Grand Mosque was spectacular, but I don't see myself going there very often given as I'm not Muslim), and most of the entertainment seemed to come from eating out, perhaps lazing on the beach (it's great that there are beaches everywhere you look), and driving out to the desert every now and then. There's a few things to do on Yas, however, you're right. It's not bursting at the seams. Saying that, you'll be surprised on the amount on offer with regards to sporting activities. You can find pretty much everything.

3). There's zero cultural interaction with the local people - the Emiratis - who are far outnumbered by the expats. I met two Emiratis during my interviews, but that apart I only saw them from a distance, either driving their cars or shopping, but they're so rich that you'd never come into contact with them on a day to day basis, so you're living in their country but really not interacting with them at all. Yes and no and you're more likely to have that interaction in AD than DXB. I know one or two locals, not a great amount considering the length of time I have been here, however, I don't really have an oppourtunity to meet them. Several folk on here have several local friends though so I suppose it depends.

4). It's an ephemeral world - it's an oasis (or an oasis under construction, literally) in the middle of the desert, and people come and go every few years. That's probably what I'll do as well - make my money and leave - but something to think about. I've been an immigrant / expat in a number of countries, but none felt the same as Abu Dhabi does. That's kinda what the UAE expects you to do. Come here, work hard, get paid well, leave when its finished or you are no longer of any use. They are pretty open about it.

5). ADIA employees didn't tell me this, but friends who work at ADIA have told me there's a clear delineation between Emiratis and expats in the workplace. Expats don't progress professionally, while Emiratis, no matter how undeserving they are of it, do because they're usually well connected in high places. I might give away my identity if I quote a specific example, but I did hear of one jaw dropping example of a really senior Emirati saying this openly to a new joinee expat. There's no secrets about it. Its true that there's a hierarchy in the Gulf. Locals are obviously at the top, folk from Sub Con at the bottom. Expats are in between. Where you are in the expat bit depends on your passport. Thankfully due to the history between the UK and the UAE we are quite high up. Accept it and move on.

Those were the things I didn't like - of course, I only did my research after the interviews, so didn't let it show in the interviews. I absolutely loved the weather, the open spaces, and the fact that a huge expat community means I'll get to meet a ton of new people while there, and because everyone's an expat you're on the same footing in some ways and no one has an advantage.

There - my rant while I wait for a decision from ADIA!
Old Feb 14th 2017, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Hence why the majority of folk want to live in Dubai. A..
But of course there are those expats who claim Dubai is fake, plastic, artificial when compared to other more "natural, authentic" places ..... though they will always choose to spend their weekends in Dubai

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.