Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority

Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority

Old Aug 26th 2016, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

ldnfintech is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority

Originally Posted by dominoman
I am having serious second thoughts about the job in ADIA.

I feel like they are underpaying me and undervaluing my skills.

My base pay offer in ADIA is 40% less than I am on now. On top of that I get an Expat allowance so if I add that on I am on 25% lower salary than now.

The bonus at ADIA (40% estimate) comes out 45% less than I got in each of the last 5 years.

After comparing with what I'd get in the UK after tax it comes out as pretty much equal.

On top of that they do pay a generous Accommodation allowance and various other benefits like medical etc, but those are not cash in hand so don't equate to more money in my pocket.

On the costs side I would spend more. Regular flights back home & higher cost of living.

I'm quite frustrated that their offer is significantly below my current base.
Yes, it would be an adventure, and I'd enjoy the work. But is all the upheaval and risk and uncertainty worth it given that I'd have about the same cash in my pocket after tax than I do in the UK (plus my wife would lose her income too).

Can anyone tell me if I am missing something.
Hi dominoman

Firstly, looking at your previous posts, it appears I may most likely end up working for you (should I get hired of course!).

Next, I have been doing some analysis around the same topic - London vs Abu Dhabi, i.e.
a. pay package
b. career progression
c. lifestyle
d. travel opportunities
e. quality of living

I would like to offer my two cents on this.

a. pay package
The base salary + bonus + expat + spare housing cash-in-hand + gratuity will simply be more than your (single person salary) TAKE HOME post tax + mortgage costs in London. The monthly savings in Abu Dhabi should be a "healthy" percentage above that of London - that varies from person to person. Furthermore, once in Abu Dhabi, your home/mansion in London will be rented out which will also fetch additional income plus usual income tax.

b. career progression
Admittedly, even I am unsure of opportunities available to grow within the firm but my agent mentioned that responsibilities will increase over time along with pay, bonus, grade etc whilst the structure will remain flat. As I am coming in at P2 level, there may be some room for me to grow - P3, P4 etc. The progression track is unknown unfortunately.

c. lifestyle
This is a tough one - there is far more to do in and around London than there's in Abu Dhabi (happy to be proven wrong!). In Abu Dhabi, Drinks are pricey and eating out at fancy places can get expensive. Summers and Ramadan time is pretty quiet in Abu Dhabi - so wise to travel around then. So it comes down to leaving the comforts of metropolitan London and enjoying a different culture and city. In addition, working at ADIA will put you in the league of some of the top earners after Emiratis. That'll also ensure that you have acccess to good schooling for your children than say some state schools in London.

d. travel opportunities
During your time in Abu Dhabi, you and your family can travel to Oman, Dubai, Kuwait, Doha etc and other international cities connected via Etihad Airways. I know several people who moved from London to HK to travel around Asia etc.

e. quality of living

In Abu Dhabi, you can get domestic help for relatively cheap and nannies when required. Plus ADIA accommodation can give you a more luxurious living compared to that in London (in most cases obviously). Having said that, we'll all have to frequently travel the UK to visit friends and family - so some benefits and some costs. ADIA is quite generous with their car loans so thats an added advantage.

It is an adventure for sure, and "risk" you take must be adequately rewarded. This varies from person to person. I have taken a 5-year average annual take-home between the two cities along with other intangible/unquantifiable benefits/costs and will use that as a baseline to make a decision, should i get made an offer.

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 30th 2016, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

Exhkexpat is an unknown quantity at this point

For the trip itself can anyone tell me is it up to me to arrange school visits or will ADIA get someone to organise this?
Old Aug 30th 2016, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Exhkexpat
For the trip itself can anyone tell me is it up to me to arrange school visits or will ADIA get someone to organise this?
hi Exhkexpat

An ADIA representative will join you in your school visits with your chauffeur car. One of the forms you will fill out before flying out to Abu Dhabi would ask your school preferences. They'll take that into account when arranging the itinerary.

This is what I was told by the secretary. Hope this helps.
Old Aug 30th 2016, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

Exhkexpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ldnfintech
hi Exhkexpat

An ADIA representative will join you in your school visits with your chauffeur car. One of the forms you will fill out before flying out to Abu Dhabi would ask your school preferences. They'll take that into account when arranging the itinerary.

This is what I was told by the secretary. Hope this helps.
Thanks that's great news, now the fun of trying to pick the schools I would like to see.
Old Oct 16th 2016, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

I just got back from my final round of face-to-face interviews in AD.
As mentioned earlier in this thread, one has 2 days of back-to back interviews.

Day 1
- Interviews start ~8.15am in 30/45 min slots with 1-2 persons per slot, and some with local Emiratis.
- Interviews finished around 3/3.30pm.
- Mostly met investment professionals and managers.

Day 2
Interviews started at 9am.
- In the first half, met my to-be immediate teammates.
- 2 hours spent on housing tour - saw apartments in Saadiyat island and Eithad towers.
- 30 mins on ADIA site tour.
- HR interviews in the afternoon, and
- lastly, the interview with the head, big boss!

After interview, I had dinner at Emirates palace with my hiring manager and his deputy.

Day 3 (Free-time)
I went to Yas mall, drove around AD, visited the grand mosque, local beaches, supermarkets etc.

Tour summary
Fantastic experience overall - holiday plus interviews. I loved every second of it. Business class flights, chauffeur service, meet-and-greet at AD airport, St Regis, butler service, room service etc. One amazing memory for a lifetime. Make the most of the opportunity to check out locale.

Shout out with any questions please.

Hope this helps.
Old Oct 17th 2016, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks ldnfintech for sharing the info. My experience was very similar. A smoothly organised trip that I'm sure is designed to make sure you are left with a very positive lasting impression of ADIA and the country. It worked on me, and it certainly helped my decision when I got the offer.

My wife enjoyed it even more than me, as she was able to sun herself by the pool for 3 days.

Good luck for your offer. Let us know.
Old Nov 1st 2016, 5:05 am
Just Joined

expatca is an unknown quantity at this point

About the Compensation Package:

Hi everyone, I m considering a job prospect from ADIA. I have come back from my final round interviews. It is a P1 analyst position.

I m wondering what kind of compensation package would be for a P1 professional at ADIA? especially the base salary. I have about 4 years of experience. I m from Canada, where I earn a base of 75K CAD before tax per annum (85K after bonus).

you can PM me.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by expatca; Nov 1st 2016 at 5:18 am.
Old Nov 1st 2016, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by expatca
About the Compensation Package:

Hi everyone, I m considering a job prospect from ADIA. I have come back from my final round interviews. It is a P1 analyst position.

I m wondering what kind of compensation package would be for a P1 professional at ADIA? especially the base salary. I have about 4 years of experience. I m from Canada, where I earn a base of 75K CAD before tax per annum (85K after bonus).

you can PM me.

Thanks in advance!
Hi expatca

One thing for sure, the package will be better than what you have in Canada.

For P1
Base Salary: 15k-25k (hoping its higher!)
Housing: 180k AED (ADIA accommodation - water, electricity included)
Compensation: 14-30%
Car Loan: 120k AED (4-year interest-free loan)
Gratuity: 17% (paid monthly)
School: 40k AED per child (up to 4 children)
School x2: Books/Bus etc (paid in cash)
Joining Allowance: 80k AED (one-off paid lumpsum)
Comprehensive Medical Cover for you and your family.
Flights when moving to Abu Dhabi

Hope this helps.
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 1:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ldnfintech
Hi expatca

One thing for sure, the package will be better than what you have in Canada.

For P1
Base Salary: 15k-25k (hoping its higher!)
Housing: 180k AED (ADIA accommodation - water, electricity included)
Compensation: 14-30%
Car Loan: 120k AED (4-year interest-free loan)
Gratuity: 17% (paid monthly)
School: 40k AED per child (up to 4 children)
School x2: Books/Bus etc (paid in cash)
Joining Allowance: 80k AED (one-off paid lumpsum)
Comprehensive Medical Cover for you and your family.
Flights when moving to Abu Dhabi

Hope this helps.
Thanks, ldnfintech!

-expatca
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 1:57 am
Just Joined

I am wondering how they go about making the hiring decision. I was interviewed by more than 15 people. It was said at ADIA, there needs to be a consensus who to hire and everybody has a say. To be honest, I really don't understand how it works? In North America, it is usually whom you work for makes the decision. I feel it is a bit strange here and what is the reason why? Can someone offer some insights?

Thanks in advance!

you can PM me.

-expatca

Last edited by expatca; Nov 3rd 2016 at 2:03 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 9:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by expatca
I am wondering how they go about making the hiring decision. I was interviewed by more than 15 people. It was said at ADIA, there needs to be a consensus who to hire and everybody has a say. To be honest, I really don't understand how it works? In North America, it is usually whom you work for makes the decision. I feel it is a bit strange here and what is the reason why? Can someone offer some insights?

Thanks in advance!

you can PM me.

-expatca
Hi expatca

So I interviewed at ADIA a few weeks ago. My hiring manager mentioned that each interviewee needs to be approved - not only on the basis of job relevance but also other factors such as culture, career motivations, tenure at ADIA etc. Its a big decision for both sides, and nobody wants to get it wrong. Thus. my (if-hired-then-to-be) manager would go around asking feedback on the above mentioned points. The idea is that you will most likely be working with some of the people who interviewed you, so they should have a say in the matter. Remember, its a flat hierarchy structure, so that also plays a part. Whilst many people's approvals delay the process somewhat, it is also reassuring (to them) that more than a dozen people think you are the person for the job. May be ideal, may be not - but ADIA prefers that approach.

Hope this helps.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

Deanov22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

I will be travelling out to Abu Dhabi the end of Nov for my final (I think!) round interviews.

I have already had two VC interviews and have travelled to London for psychometric testing at Kornferry. Thankfully all pretty positive feedback thus far.

Although I have yet to get my itinerary, from what my recruiter told me it will be two days of interviews held with a number of people with viewings the second day.

I am interested in how other people have found the process. The thoughts of two full days being interviewed sounds slightly daunting and any tips would be great fully received!
If I am successful my partner will be emigrating with me. Will he be able to get a visa off the back of mine?

The role I am being interviewed for is P2 level. If anyone has any idea what this package would entail that would be great as currently I have very little information to go on.

Thanks all!
Old Nov 15th 2016, 4:56 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deanov22
Hi all,

I will be travelling out to Abu Dhabi the end of Nov for my final (I think!) round interviews.

I have already had two VC interviews and have travelled to London for psychometric testing at Kornferry. Thankfully all pretty positive feedback thus far.

Although I have yet to get my itinerary, from what my recruiter told me it will be two days of interviews held with a number of people with viewings the second day.

I am interested in how other people have found the process. The thoughts of two full days being interviewed sounds slightly daunting and any tips would be great fully received!
If I am successful my partner will be emigrating with me. Will he be able to get a visa off the back of mine?

The role I am being interviewed for is P2 level. If anyone has any idea what this package would entail that would be great as currently I have very little information to go on.

Thanks all!
Deanov, you didnt state your sex when you set up your account. Therefore, I cannot tell if your partner is half of a heterosexual partnership, or a same-sex partnership.

I could assume that you wouldnt have gone this far down the process without being aware of how same-sex relationsahips are viewed in the UAE, but to ensure an accurate response, it may be best to clarify this point.
Old Nov 15th 2016, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

If you are male, then the answer is no.

If your partner holds a British passport he can do visa runs every month with no end. Drive to the Oman border, get passport stamped, re-enter the UAE.

Partner can also look for a job on his own. I also know a few people who trailed spouses here but kept their UK jobs and work remotely. This may be possible.

Abu Dhabi is more conservative than Dubai so you will need to be more discreet, especially with non-Westerners. Just don't talk about it in the office. Absolutely do not talk about having a partner in the interviews.

Originally Posted by Deanov22
Hi all,

Thanks all!
Old Nov 15th 2016, 7:28 am
Just Joined

Deanov22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Apologies for not clarifying.

I am female and my partner is male. We are not married but have been living together a couple of years. I made my recruiter and ADIA aware of this in the initial stages.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.