British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   ME Job Discussions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/)
-   -   Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/job-abu-dhabi-investment-authority-638456/)

reddot Jun 1st 2016 12:14 pm

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority

Originally Posted by dominoman (Post 11960582)
Well I have just accepted the job in Abu Dhabi! They didn't increase the offer, but I like the job and it is still a good wage, even if lower base & bonus than now.

Now I need to turn down my UK offer. It will be a hard conversation as I know they are really keen and were waiting for me to start.

Congrats...:thumbsup:

dominoman Jun 8th 2016 5:10 pm

I am having serious second thoughts about the job in ADIA.

I feel like they are underpaying me and undervaluing my skills.

My base pay offer in ADIA is 40% less than I am on now. On top of that I get an Expat allowance so if I add that on I am on 25% lower salary than now.

The bonus at ADIA (40% estimate) comes out 45% less than I got in each of the last 5 years.

After comparing with what I'd get in the UK after tax it comes out as pretty much equal.

On top of that they do pay a generous Accommodation allowance and various other benefits like medical etc, but those are not cash in hand so don't equate to more money in my pocket.

On the costs side I would spend more. Regular flights back home & higher cost of living.

I'm quite frustrated that their offer is significantly below my current base.
Yes, it would be an adventure, and I'd enjoy the work. But is all the upheaval and risk and uncertainty worth it given that I'd have about the same cash in my pocket after tax than I do in the UK (plus my wife would lose her income too).

Can anyone tell me if I am missing something.

pattar Jun 9th 2016 4:24 am

Dominoman,
Very valid concern. I am curious to know what was their response, when you asked for an increase in pay from the initial offer. Was it an outright NO ? Were they able to increase any other benefit ?

The fact that they are giving housing/accommodation would mean either you save the rent in your current place or you can rent that out if you move. So that is a good thing. Second, I was told , they do give once a year family air travels ? Last - ADIA brings you some kind of stability compared to the banks on the street right now (if you are working in one of those)..

Regarding my application - I was told HR is reviewing the feedback from KF and they hv gone back for some clarification as my personality questionnaire assessment came out as "invalid" - not sure how it impacts my chances, though the case study had a very positive outcome..Will keep you posted

Back to your own case- the role being offered is also important and which level are you currently at - for example - if you are currently at VP and you going for a Director role or if you are D, going for an MD level role etc matters.. If the level is the same ,then you can think twice and stay where you are.. but if the role is superior, it is worth considering. my 2 cents !

Originally Posted by dominoman (Post 11968415)
I am having serious second thoughts about the job in ADIA.

I feel like they are underpaying me and undervaluing my skills.

My base pay offer in ADIA is 40% less than I am on now. On top of that I get an Expat allowance so if I add that on I am on 25% lower salary than now.

The bonus at ADIA (40% estimate) comes out 45% less than I got in each of the last 5 years.

After comparing with what I'd get in the UK after tax it comes out as pretty much equal.

On top of that they do pay a generous Accommodation allowance and various other benefits like medical etc, but those are not cash in hand so don't equate to more money in my pocket.

On the costs side I would spend more. Regular flights back home & higher cost of living.

I'm quite frustrated that their offer is significantly below my current base.
Yes, it would be an adventure, and I'd enjoy the work. But is all the upheaval and risk and uncertainty worth it given that I'd have about the same cash in my pocket after tax than I do in the UK (plus my wife would lose her income too).

Can anyone tell me if I am missing something.

pattar Jun 9th 2016 4:31 am

little bit more about KF feedback on my sessions

1. Personality inventory - came out as invalid. I was told this could be due to variety of reasons and will not be reflected badly on me. They said, I had too pure or too extreme response, which apparently is not the norm.. Ihv done many such assessments (MBTI for example) and had no problems !!!!

2. Cognitive test - Numerical reasoning - above average, Verbal reasoning - average and Ravens test - below average). I asked about below average score for ravens test and got a response that sometimes it is good to hv below average score as it reflects , I don't jump in to quick decisions but takes time to assess !!! Who knows.. :-)

3. Case study - very positive remarks and outcome.. this is where I think I did the best ..

Now I am awaiting ADIA's call on next steps, which I think would be a trip to Abu Dhabi if I get to next round

al dente Jun 9th 2016 9:02 am

They spend a lot of time looking at market rate and are constantly adjusting to make sure their offers are within that. If the numbers are so out, it could be worth staying where you are. There is very little career progression.

However, as I have previously posted many times, the add ons are significant. We have a family here and private school covered, ability to rent out properties elsewhere to remove our mortgage commitments and free housing and bills, has a significat impact. As well as cheap cars and petrol. When comparing costs, you really need to think of everything and then work it out.

reddot Jun 11th 2016 1:45 am

Ramadan seems to slow things down there. My trip might be after Eid, so wanted to see from the group if anyone has an idea of what the trip is like ? What to expect there ? I am applying for a technical position so any help would be greatly welcome

reddot Jun 15th 2016 2:33 am

Originally Posted by The_Black_Panther (Post 11646827)
Just an indication, below was a list of my P3 grade IT position on a base salary 35k dir per month

1. Gratuity Allowance - 17% of monthly basic salary at the end of service comparable to pension contribution plan.

2. Accomodation - 240k. Capped allowance paid on behalf of employer or provided on a monthly basis.

3. Expat benefit allowance - 4.5k/9k. Single/married rate paid monthly.

4. Joining allowance - 100k/65k. Single/married allowance. Paid in cash upon recruitment.

5. Car loan - 150k. Interest free, capped amount repaid over a maximum of 4 yrs. Car is mortgaged under adia name until full repayment.

6. Annual leave - 30 working days.

7. Joining accomodation - temp accomodation covered for candidates and family

8. Education - 65k. This is capped reimbursement plan for children education fees (upto 40k) paid per academic year per child covering up to 4 children. Covers age from 3-24. Also includes addition cash allowance to cover further miscellaneous costs.

9. Insurance - For candidate and family covering medical, dental, and optical regional coverage.

10. Performance incentives - a discretionary bonus paid in cash, in line with adias performance process. The bonus potential ranges from 0% to averaging 20% (when performance is on target) and maximum of 50% of annual basic salary

Hope that can give you a view of what to expect.

Hello can you please indicate what was your salary before ADIA, trying to just gauge how this matched to your previous salary? is 35K enough? heard its an expensive city

pattar Jun 15th 2016 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by reddot (Post 11973783)
Hello can you please indicate what was your salary before ADIA, trying to just gauge how this matched to your previous salary? is 35K enough? heard its an expensive city

So how much would be net take home per month , assuming house and education allowance are part of living there ?

reddot Jun 17th 2016 12:04 pm

Going to be going to AD for the face 2 face interviews in a few weeks. Any tips please? how are these interviews structured? do they well you who you will be meeting before the trip?

dominoman Jun 17th 2016 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by reddot (Post 11976221)
Going to be going to AD for the face 2 face interviews in a few weeks. Any tips please? how are these interviews structured? do they well you who you will be meeting before the trip?

Great. Good luck.

You will have two fairly intense days, starting at 9am or so, and finishing around 5pm. There will be a lunch or perhaps a dinner on one of the days.

Don't expect many breaks. I found that any breaks I did have went through meeting over-runs.

The interviews are a combination of meet and greets, with a few more content based ones. It really depends who you are meeting. Get a list in advance (via the agent if you went via one) and prepare by looking them up on LinkedIn and knowing a little about each person.

Are you going with your wife? They will provide you a car and driver for the whole period I expect, so she can visit places while you're at the offices.

Let us know how you get on. And enjoy the trip. You'll be well looked after.

reddot Jun 17th 2016 2:57 pm

Many thanks for the advice. Awaiting the list from the agent, but looks like Ramadan is a very slow period. My wife and child are travelling with me so hopefully they can get to see some schools etc.
On the interview part is there anything specific I should look out for esp when meeting some of the senior emiratie folk? What kind of people do you usually meet.

have you made up your mind about joining ?

Originally Posted by dominoman (Post 11976314)
Great. Good luck.

You will have two fairly intense days, starting at 9am or so, and finishing around 5pm. There will be a lunch or perhaps a dinner on one of the days.

Don't expect many breaks. I found that any breaks I did have went through meeting over-runs.

The interviews are a combination of meet and greets, with a few more content based ones. It really depends who you are meeting. Get a list in advance (via the agent if you went via one) and prepare by looking them up on LinkedIn and knowing a little about each person.

Are you going with your wife? They will provide you a car and driver for the whole period I expect, so she can visit places while you're at the offices.

Let us know how you get on. And enjoy the trip. You'll be well looked after.

dominoman Jun 20th 2016 9:03 am

Yes - I decided to accept, despite the offer being lower than I initially expected. I'm looking forward to a change in culture and location.

You will probably only meet one Emirati, unless you're going for a very senior position. Generally, with Emiratis be normal. But do make sure you talk highly of the company and the country, and be aware of ADIAs cultural values. They treat these as very important and genuinely see cultural fit as key (which is a great thing). Be enthusiastic and polite and avoid anything that could be seen as criticism. Keep your hard questions for another interview

pattar Jun 20th 2016 9:53 am

Originally Posted by dominoman (Post 11978164)
Yes - I decided to accept, despite the offer being lower than I initially expected. I'm looking forward to a change in culture and location.

You will probably only meet one Emirati, unless you're going for a very senior position. Generally, with Emiratis be normal. But do make sure you talk highly of the company and the country, and be aware of ADIAs cultural values. They treat these as very important and genuinely see cultural fit as key (which is a great thing). Be enthusiastic and polite and avoid anything that could be seen as criticism. Keep your hard questions for another interview

Hi .. All the best Dominoman... I was following up on next steps in my case and the consultant mentioned that it has gone slow due to The fasting period.. Is that realistic? Would you know ?

dominoman Jun 20th 2016 10:17 am

I wouldn't know - but it seems plausible. Everything moves fairly slowly at the best of times and many people work shorter hours in Ramadan so that's likely to delay things.

reddot Jun 20th 2016 10:39 am

Originally Posted by pattar (Post 11978203)
Hi .. All the best Dominoman... I was following up on next steps in my case and the consultant mentioned that it has gone slow due to The fasting period.. Is that realistic? Would you know ?

The fasting period will slow things down dramatically. My trip has been scheduled only after the middle of July due to this. Plus they don't send a feedback till everyone has gone through the process..