British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   ME Job Discussions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/)
-   -   Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/job-abu-dhabi-investment-authority-638456/)

weescot Aug 23rd 2010 4:50 am

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
 

Originally Posted by jamiestarr (Post 8794990)
I'm a consultant working for ADIA. Before I arrived here, I was told that they are a very well run organisation and something of a gem in the middle east.
However, having worked in the middle east for nearly 4 years I've come to conclude that there is nothing unique about ADIA at all. In fact, it's full of wetsern expats who are overpaid and appear to be busy pleasing the men in white dresses.
The organisation is full of bearaucrats (some Indian) who are looking after they own jobs and, wait for it, there is no accountability, which is the norm in this region.
They appear to be hiding the advise/work done by consultans with a view to blaming them if things go wrong.

My personal view of the majority of people working at ADIA is that they couldn't cut it anymore in the West.

If you take a job at ADIA you should kiss autonomy good bye. Your career will take a backseat and you'll be in a "job" and that's it. You'll take your high salary, enjoy the sun and get through life hesitating and wonder when the tap on your shoulder will come because of a decison you made after being bullied.

To conclude, it's a great job if you can get it. Spend a few years here and walk away with a pot of cash.

The biggest sovereign wealth fund it may be but it is far from being best. Once the oil goes that building overlooking the corniche will be derelict. The only difference between Abu Dhabi and Saudi is that your wife can drive here and that you have dubai an hour away. The drawbacks is that you have to put up with some idiotic decison making from locals or other expats, who simply wouldn't cut it elsewhere.

The choice is yours!

p.s. Pardon the typos. I was typing on a BB

How long have you been a consultant at ADIA?

Millhouse Aug 23rd 2010 7:05 am

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
 

Originally Posted by jamiestarr (Post 8794990)
In fact, it's full of wetsern expats who are overpaid and appear to be busy pleasing the men in white dresses.

spot on.


Originally Posted by The bird called Grace (Post 8794990)
oh def,, a right bunch of tossers... :rofl:

all of them? :eek:

jamiestarr Aug 23rd 2010 7:31 am

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
 
I've been providing services to ADIA for 15 months - the write up is my personal honest experience.

Grace O Malley Aug 23rd 2010 7:48 am

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
 

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8795773)
spot on.



all of them? :eek:

No idea, don't know anyone that works there, but I am curious to know how the boys in white dresses are pleasured and err less of the bird....

Millhouse Aug 23rd 2010 7:53 am

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
 

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley (Post 8795825)
No idea, don't know anyone that works there, but I am curious to know how the boys in white dresses are pleasured and err less of the bird....

egos are massaged and there is an absolute absence of any form of challenge.

weescot Aug 23rd 2010 9:00 am

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
 

Originally Posted by jamiestarr (Post 8795802)
I've been providing services to ADIA for 15 months - the write up is my personal honest experience.

Given that you have been in the region for 4 years and with this organisation for 15 months, your expereince conclusions are not at all revealling. All of what you say is pretty much par for the course in AD, and will chime a chord with many. Who on earth told you ADIA is different? What hasn't helped them currently was the sudden and unexpected death of their leader.

Millhouse Aug 23rd 2010 9:12 am

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
 

Originally Posted by weescot (Post 8795967)
Who on earth told you ADIA is different?

probably a UK based recruitment agent who doesn't know where the UAE is and thinks that Dubai is a country in its own right.

soukie Aug 23rd 2010 9:24 am

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
 
[QUOTE=weescot;8795967]Given that you have been in the region for 4 years and with this organisation for 15 months, your expereince conclusions are not at all revealling. All of what you say is pretty much par for the course in AD, and will chime a chord with many.QUOTE]

Oh yes - the description would fit many - Ald*r, TD*C, Mub**** to name a few!

weescot Aug 23rd 2010 11:24 am

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
 
[QUOTE=soukie;8796028]

Originally Posted by weescot (Post 8795967)
Given that you have been in the region for 4 years and with this organisation for 15 months, your expereince conclusions are not at all revealling. All of what you say is pretty much par for the course in AD, and will chime a chord with many.QUOTE]

Oh yes - the description would fit many - Ald*r, TD*C, Mub**** to name a few!

Indeed. But at least most of us have the grace and manners not to be so racist about some of our observations. thats over paid "here today, gone tomorrow" consultants for you I suppose. And frankly, Emiratis I know are finally getting wise to the contribution and comments coming from consultants ... in many cases they are seen as simply knowledge bling brought in as a fire blanket for aforementioned and dig them out of the pooh .. invariably generated from implementing previous consultants recommendations

jamiestarr Aug 23rd 2010 6:57 pm

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
 
All

Thank you for your contribution to what I revealed. I agree, the issues are synonymous with the majority of organisations here. However, I was led to believe that ADIA was different. Please forgive me if I've offended anyone and if anyone believes that what I said was racist - this was not my intention. I was foolish in thinking that ADIA was different and that's it.

I agree that Emiratis are very good people, but they do hide behind the advice of consultants because, in my experience, it's easier to blame a consultant. The true reality of the situation is that my profession is instruction led and therefore I do what I'm told to do. If I do raise any issues or risks associated with the path being suggested, I'm simply told to shut up.

Thank you all for your input.

PrKoll Nov 7th 2010 4:41 am

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
 

Originally Posted by Mischief Queen (Post 8066472)
They will provide you with the option of accommodation or allowance. Take the accommodation - current apts are a great location and have swimming pool, squash courts, parking etc (they will show you before you have to decide). The package will be good (more than fair imo). I was moved in and furnished (with furniture allowance) within 2 weeks of landing in AD... not possible with many companies here I can tell you!

I say go for it.

Hi guys!
I am interviewing with them too. I am curious about the accommodations: you mention that they give you the option to use theirs. Where are those flats located? Do they provide villas as well? Can you be more specific about the choice one gets: flat description vs. How much housing allowance.

weescot Nov 7th 2010 4:56 am

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
 

Originally Posted by PrKoll (Post 8966400)
Hi guys!
I am interviewing with them too. I am curious about the accommodations: you mention that they give you the option to use theirs. Where are those flats located? Do they provide villas as well? Can you be more specific about the choice one gets: flat description vs. How much housing allowance.

haha - you've got your research properties right! They offer staff both apartments and villas all over town in a variety of different tower blocks and compounds. I believe that once you arrive, what you are invited to view on AIDA's housing books depends entirely on availability and if you are single or married. No idea about housing allowances, but generally they are around rental market prices, which are going down.

Maybe someone form ADIA can advise you with more info... but you'll definantely get more space than in New york...

PrKoll Nov 7th 2010 5:21 am

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
 

Originally Posted by weescot (Post 8966409)
haha - you've got your research properties right! They offer staff both apartments and villas all over town in a variety of different tower blocks and compounds. I believe that once you arrive, what you are invited to view on AIDA's housing books depends entirely on availability and if you are single or married. No idea about housing allowances, but generally they are around rental market prices, which are going down.

Maybe someone form ADIA can advise you with more info... but you'll definantely get more space than in New york...

Thanks for the swift response!

Norsk-also Nov 7th 2010 7:09 pm

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
 

Originally Posted by jamiestarr (Post 8797264)
All

Thank you for your contribution to what I revealed. I agree, the issues are synonymous with the majority of organisations here. However, I was led to believe that ADIA was different. Please forgive me if I've offended anyone and if anyone believes that what I said was racist - this was not my intention. I was foolish in thinking that ADIA was different and that's it.

I agree that Emiratis are very good people, but they do hide behind the advice of consultants because, in my experience, it's easier to blame a consultant. The true reality of the situation is that my profession is instruction led and therefore I do what I'm told to do. If I do raise any issues or risks associated with the path being suggested, I'm simply told to shut up.

Thank you all for your input.

Try the Norwegian soveireign wealth fund, at least they are 'transparant'.. Oh, mandatory lol. (laugh out loud)

Pacific1 Nov 8th 2010 11:41 am

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
 
Hi, read some posts relating to ADIA.

Just had a telephone interview for a role out there. Wanted to understand what the 3 hour psychometric test involves. Believe this is a tough process. Any thoughts/advise.

Considering a move to Abu Dhabi, always been based in London, and working in several major banks here. Married with a little one. Looking at my next opportunity. I have read mixed posts in terms of moving, but is there something I should specifically be asking/looking for.

Appreciate all your comments. :thumbsup:


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:15 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.