British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   ME Job Discussions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/)
-   -   Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/job-abu-dhabi-investment-authority-638456/)

csdf Jun 15th 2010 8:05 am

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
 

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8632464)
It's ok... I told them that I wasn't interested in the interview. I haven't met such arrogant stuck up their own ass, full of own self importance people until I went there. Well, apart from in the investment banks in London and, of course, Lionheart.

Are they that bad? A friend said that of all the companies in the region, he'd pick Mubadala over any other.

Millhouse Jun 15th 2010 11:35 pm

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
 

Originally Posted by csdf (Post 8633784)
Are they that bad? A friend said that of all the companies in the region, he'd pick Mubadala over any other.

They are indeed the best in terms of what they do. Sadly that has gone to their head. Do remember that the benchmark is indeed very low. That said, I have respect for Mubadala and what they have and continue to do.

(apart from the Al Reem development and dodgy PPPs but that is another story)

Much better to join a western company with a local representation - think of the exit: you go back to London and your next employer says... Mubadala... did they take a stake in Ferrari at a loss??

flares Jun 16th 2010 5:15 am

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
 

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8635391)
you go back to London and your next employer says... Mubadala... did they take a stake in Ferrari at a loss??

nice comment Millhausen - now who's stuck up their own ass?

Millhouse Jun 16th 2010 6:11 am

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
 

Originally Posted by saudiflares (Post 8635744)
nice comment Millhausen - now who's stuck up their own ass?

dunno... me?

The fact is that from the outside looking in they have made a lot of mistakes (I agree that they have done a lot of good also) but if you are thinking of going home to a western bank they will wonder what on earth you were up to here. Don't get me wrong... I'm in this boat so know it well.

The Dean Jun 16th 2010 7:21 am

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
 

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8635391)
They are indeed the best in terms of what they do. Sadly that has gone to their head. Do remember that the benchmark is indeed very low. That said, I have respect for Mubadala and what they have and continue to do.

(apart from the Al Reem development and dodgy PPPs but that is another story)

Much better to join a western company with a local representation - think of the exit: you go back to London and your next employer says... Mubadala... did they take a stake in Ferrari at a loss??

And you'll almost certainly be able to reply "... and so did most of your investments, mate..." (whoever you happen to be talking to).

I also hear DIC are selling Travelodge, Doncasters, etc, so they can be wound up.......

Millhouse Jun 16th 2010 8:21 am

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
 

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 8635860)
And you'll almost certainly be able to reply "... and so did most of your investments, mate..." (whoever you happen to be talking to).

I also hear DIC are selling Travelodge, Doncasters, etc, so they can be wound up.......

Ah, but there is losing money and doing a deal that is clearing losing money from the beginning.

csdf Jun 16th 2010 8:32 am

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
 

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8635933)
Ah, but there is losing money and doing a deal that is clearing losing money from the beginning.

Oh well, fair enough. I'm not in banking so wouldn't be interested in the financial part of Mubadala anyway.

Millhouse Jun 16th 2010 12:44 pm

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
 

Originally Posted by csdf (Post 8635946)
Oh well, fair enough. I'm not in banking so wouldn't be interested in the financial part of Mubadala anyway.

do be aware that they have been doing some "Consolidation"

clodytz Jun 22nd 2010 8:06 pm

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
 
Hello, everyone!

How long did it take till you got a reply after the psychometric assessment?

I was reading some previous posts and understood that overall it could take more than 3 months.

Thanks

Millhouse Jun 23rd 2010 6:22 am

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
 

Originally Posted by clodytz (Post 8649560)
Hello, everyone!

How long did it take till you got a reply after the psychometric assessment?

I was reading some previous posts and understood that overall it could take more than 3 months.

Thanks

I doubt that you will hear anything now until after Eid.

clodytz Jun 23rd 2010 2:11 pm

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
 

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8650495)
I doubt that you will hear anything now until after Eid.

Thanks, it seems like an eternity

Millhouse Jun 23rd 2010 2:22 pm

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
 

Originally Posted by clodytz (Post 8651485)
Thanks, it seems like an eternity

welcome to the Middle East

BellaUK Jul 14th 2010 2:06 pm

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
 
Are there any ADIA people on here? Would you say it is a good place to work? (Feel free to PM me if you don't want to say on public forum) Would appreciate any inside info.

jamiestarr Aug 22nd 2010 9:36 pm

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
 

Originally Posted by BellaUK (Post 8701058)
Are there any ADIA people on here? Would you say it is a good place to work? (Feel free to PM me if you don't want to say on public forum) Would appreciate any inside info.

I'm a consultant working for ADIA. Before I arrived here, I was told that they are a very well run organisation and something of a gem in the middle east.
However, having worked in the middle east for nearly 4 years I've come to conclude that there is nothing unique about ADIA at all. In fact, it's full of wetsern expats who are overpaid and appear to be busy pleasing the men in white dresses.
The organisation is full of bearaucrats (some Indian) who are looking after they own jobs and, wait for it, there is no accountability, which is the norm in this region.
They appear to be hiding the advise/work done by consultans with a view to blaming them if things go wrong.

My personal view of the majority of people working at ADIA is that they couldn't cut it anymore in the West.

If you take a job at ADIA you should kiss autonomy good bye. Your career will take a backseat and you'll be in a "job" and that's it. You'll take your high salary, enjoy the sun and get through life hesitating and wonder when the tap on your shoulder will come because of a decison you made after being bullied.

To conclude, it's a great job if you can get it. Spend a few years here and walk away with a pot of cash.

The biggest sovereign wealth fund it may be but it is far from being best. Once the oil goes that building overlooking the corniche will be derelict. The only difference between Abu Dhabi and Saudi is that your wife can drive here and that you have dubai an hour away. The drawbacks is that you have to put up with some idiotic decison making from locals or other expats, who simply wouldn't cut it elsewhere.

The choice is yours!

p.s. Pardon the typos. I was typing on a BB

Grace O Malley Aug 22nd 2010 9:59 pm

Re: Job in Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
 
[QUOTE=jamiestarr;8794990]In fact, it's full of wetsern expats who are overpaid and appear to be busy pleasing the men in white dresses.

oh do tell, how do they please them.....

My personal view of the majority of people working at ADIA is that they couldn't cut it anymore in the West.

oh def,, a right bunch of tossers... :rofl:


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:57 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.